stingy siphoning?
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    How do you all siphon? like when do you stop?

i usually get as much as i can, and then tilt the bucket to try to get more (while getting less sediment). this always leads to me getting a bunch of sediment in my beer and then i dump out the first pint or two that i pull off the keg because it looks too chewy.

i realized though, that by trying to get more beer out of my primary fermenter and actually getting sediment then dumping a few out, i am probably losing more beer than if i had just left that stuff in the fermenter to begin with.

Thoughts?
  • ceanntceannt
    Do you siphon straight from the fermenter to the keg?
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    it depends on the yeast. if i'm siphoning and i see that it's settled into a nice solid cake, i'll get every drop i can. if it's a less flocculent strain and it starts to get swampy when i tilt the bucket, i'll stop much sooner.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

i always do.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    ceannt said:

yes. always.
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin

it depends on the yeast. if i'm siphoning and i see that it's settled into a nice solid cake, i'll get every drop i can. if it's a less flocculent strain and it starts to get swampy when i tilt the bucket, i'll stop much sooner.

I think this is what I do. It's been a while.
    Sign here______________________________
  • ceanntceannt
    You might try siphoning to a bottling bucket first .... and let it settle for a minute.
    Adds the pain of sanitizing something else .... but should cut down on the sediment
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i don't think it would. even in a keg that is being cold crashed it takes a solid day to drop any measurable sediment out.
  • ceanntceannt
    It were just a thought
    And I have an PVC elbow on the spigot of my bottling bucket that sucks the bottom. It's close enough that chunky stuff won't get by but loose yeast would.
  • ceanntceannt

And I have an PVC elbow on the spigot of my bottling bucket that sucks the bottom. It's close enough that chunky stuff won't get by but loose yeast would.

I siphon from the top of my bucket
    ceannt said:

Primary bucket or bottling bucket?
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

Primary bucket or bottling bucket?

Both
    Ok. I use better bottles and siphon from the top down starting around midway with an autosiphon either straight to a keg or to a bucket with a spigot near the bottom.
  • ceanntceannt
    I use a homemade racking cane made from a plastic water supply tube ... and keep the opening about an inch below the surface level all the way down
  • ThymThym
    i dont siphon so much any more but i still rack (co2 pressure) from my primary to the kegs. my racking cane is moveable so i start drawing from the top then work my way down until i see a bit of cloudyness... then i stop. i usually only have maybe 1/2 pint to a pint of funky swill in my keg, and that's usually just the second one that gets filled (10 gal batches)
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    what are you fermenting 10 gallon batches in? right now i just split into two 5 gallon buckets.
  • ThymThym

what are you fermenting 10 gallon batches in? right now i just split into two 5 gallon buckets.

i ferment in sanke style 15gallon kegs. I have two of them dedicated to that purpose.
  • C_BC_B

How do you all siphon? like when do you stop?

i usually get as much as i can, and then tilt the bucket to try to get more (while getting less sediment). this always leads to me getting a bunch of sediment in my beer and then i dump out the first pint or two that i pull off the keg because it looks too chewy.

I pretty much do this. I always get a little yeasty sediment at the end of the siphon. But I don't dump but maybe the first half pint from the keg.
    If I'm bottling I usually do the same thing telling myself I need the yeast for carbonating.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I used to be more concerned about getting every drop, now I'm not. I leave about an inch or so on the cake. Depends on the yeast too I guess. I have a racking cane with the cap on the bottom and that seems to help. I get little to no sediment in my first beers, nothing worth dumping.
  • ThymThym
    Benvarine said:

I used to be more concerned about getting every drop, now I'm not. I leave about an inch or so on the cake. Depends on the yeast too I guess. I have a racking cane with the cap on the bottom and that seems to help. I get little to no sediment in my first beers, nothing worth dumping.

i would do this if i could see through the sidewall of my fermenters
  • C_BC_B
    Benvarine said:

"Worth dumping" is a funny thing. I don't dump it unless it looks like sludge. And even then... B vitamins and lots of epic gas. Epic, room clearing gas.
  • ThymThym
    C_dubbs said:

Benvarine said:

"Worth dumping" is a funny thing. I don't dump it unless it looks like sludge. And even then... B vitamins and lots of epic gas. Epic, room clearing gas.

i try to avoid that...
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

C_dubbs said:

Benvarine said:

i try to avoid that...

Meh. It's good for you.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I like the room clearing gas the next day, I usually blame it on the dog but the kids always call me out on it.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    it's hard to deffer blame when you've asked them to pull your finger.

Thym
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    True dat!