Chugger Pump Screeching
  • ThymThym
    I happened upon this fix on the internets and thought i would share my experience with the community here:

Do you have a Chugger pump that tends to screech and stop pumping at high temperatures? I sure did.
    But the fix is pretty easy and seems to have worked for me.

Disassemble the pump head by removing the four screws holding it in place on the motor connecting bracket, then remove the four screws on the back side of the pump head itself thus freeing the rear housing plate. pull the impeller out by sliding it off the shaft in the housing body.

Then, using a 17/64" or G drill bit, carefully enlarge the hole in the center of the bushing. clean any loose material and debur if necessary.

Now you can reassemble the whole thing following the reverse procedure of disassembly.

You're fixed Chugger should work like a charm now. It worked for me. The terrible sounds should be gone and it should continue to pump like a champ right up to near boiling.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i hope to have this problem soon. gonna need a pump first though. and a kettle with a spigot, etc...
  • scoobscoob
    Do you have pics? or a link to some pics? my pump works perfectly, but I like to know what might happen down the road.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ThymThym
    azscoob said:

Do you have pics? or a link to some pics? my pump works perfectly, but I like to know what
    might happen down the road.

I wish I would have taken a shot of the impeller being drilled at the time. Really, it doesn't look any different just 1/64th of an inch larger bushing ID now.

I never had any trouble at lower temps. But when trying to sanitize by circulating boiling (or near boiling) water through the heat exchanger and all plumbing I would have a problem.

Probably safe to say, if you haven't got a problem now, you won't have one in the future wrt this specific issue.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    here's an exploded pump if that helps:

The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ThymThym
    Thaks for the picture

Enlarge hole in center of part #5