Dry hop testing
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2013/03/dry-hopped-bud-light.html

I listened to an interview on Brewing Network from Anchor Steam. They talked about a method of testing the taste of different hops primarily for dry hopping. Sounds simple and fun. I'll try soon. The link above is a guy who spelled it all out quite well.
  • ThymThym
    That would work... Certainly nothing else to mute the dry hop flavor.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Huh. Interesting. This is prolly a good idea for me. I can't really differentiate between the hops.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    the theory seems good, but i'd still rather not choke down bud light to test it.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • C_BC_B

the theory seems good, but i'd still rather not choke down bud light to test it.

Or excessive hops.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym

i thought that initially as well... but i don't think it would be bad at all really.
  • ThymThym
    C_dubbs said:

Or excessive hops.

L-)
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lakewood said:

i thought that initially as well... but i don't think it would be bad at all really.

i'm probably going to try it with some other beer. either a wimpy pale ale or some schlitz/pbr.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    The idea is to use a fairly tasteless light beer so the flavor of the hops comes through. You could use any beer, but you risk tasting the hops in the beer you select if you choose something like Sierra Nevada.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Benvarine said:

The idea is to use a fairly tasteless light beer so the flavor of the hops comes through. You could use any beer, but you risk tasting the hops in the beer you select if you choose something like Sierra Nevada.

i was thinking one of the fake craft beer pale ales. so there isn't any hop flavor there to begin with, but there will be at least a little more of a malt backbone than the cheap pilsners.
  • ThymThym

Benvarine said:

i was thinking one of the fake craft beer pale ales. so there isn't any hop flavor there to begin with, but there will be at least a little more of a malt backbone than the cheap pilsners.

That would work too... Of course you could just make a gallon of a very simple wort, mostly 2-row (or light DME) a little crystal and mabey a touch of centennial at 60min for a little bit of a bitter back.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Or, toss two pellets in a bottle and wait a day or two.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    or just make many batches of single hopped beer. that's what i have been doing for a few years now to get a real appreciation for each hop variety