Wicked Angel Double IPA
  • ThymThym
    This beer is part of the Brew Kit Quarterly subscription as an Extract version. The flavor and composition of the beer is virtually identical in both extract and all-grain versions, however the all-grain brew will match the SRM listed below, while the extract version may end up being somewhat darker.

Description: This is a very simple Double IPA, very clean, hoppy and intense. The recipe is a no dry hop IPA, but still carries a great flavor and aroma due to the late hop additions. The intensity of the flavors will be most pronounced if you have a very rapid cooling. I recommend cooling the entire batch as quickly as possible (under 5 minutes to less than 150degF) if your equipment won't allow you to do this, you can hold off on the final hop addition until the brew is under 180degF.

Mash at 145, this is a dry, highly attenuated brew.
    Boil Gravity 1.062
    SGs 1.075
    SGf 1.012
    SRMb 7
    IBU 65.1
    % ABV (Miller) 8.45%

Grains, Malts and Other Fermentables:

Name Amount (lbs) Bill %
    American 2-Row Barley 23 93%
    Carastan (Crystal), 15 1.5 6%
    Wheat Malt (GWM) 0.25 1%

Corn Sugar (Dextrose) 3 Added at flame out

Boil Additions:
    Name Alpha Acid Content Amount (oz) Boil Time (min)
    Centennial 8.0% 2.3 60
    Palisade 7.3% 1.7 60
    Palisade 7.3% 1.0 30
    Cascade (U.S.) 5.4% 1.0 30
    Cascade (U.S.) 5.4% 2.0 5
    Saaz (U.S.) 5.8% 1.4 5
    Cascade (U.S.) 5.4% 0.5 1
    mt. hood 5.2% 0.5 1

The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    damn, 4 oz's of bittering hops. getting shit done!

S-05 or wlp001 yeast i am guessing?
  • ThymThym
    The first addition can be reduced by using a higer AA bittering hop, I'll usually adjust that first addition based on what I have on hand, just maintaining the same IBU.

I forgot a very important part the yeast!!!

WLP001 + WLP007. 50/50 ratio. This is key to the flavor profile in this beer.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    ahhhhh....a yeast blend. i like it.
  • ThymThym
    The yeast blend is key to the profile.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I've never blended yeast before. So for this, you have two vials from white labs right? Then you mix them and use half? Or blend half of each? Or use two vials total? If you only use the total of one vial, what do you do with the rest?
  • ThymThym
    Benvarine said:

I've never blended yeast before. So for this, you have two vials from white labs right? Then you mix them and use half? Or blend half of each? Or use two vials total? If you only use the total of one vial, what do you do with the rest?

i use both vials. In this case, it's a ten gallon batch, so even the two vials is a slight under-pitch.

I actually used S-04 and S-05 in the last batch, just to see how the dry yeasts work out. No discernible difference between that and the other blend. Again, two full packets of yeast for 10 gal.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i use a blend of 04 and 05 for a barleywine.

important thing, use a blowoff tube for the first few days for a blend like that. it can get really ugly really quick
  • ThymThym

i use a blend of 04 and 05 for a barleywine.

important thing, use a blowoff tube for the first few days for a blend like that. it can get really ugly really quick

yeah, it was an active fermentation for sure. happy little yeasties.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    what do you think the malt bill will be for extract for this, about 10-11 lbs some of kind of light DME? with a little crystal 20 tossed in and maybe some carapils for roundness?
    and i mean for a 5 gallon batch.
    does any crazy bastard make 10 gallon batches of extract beer?
  • ThymThym
    Good news for you is that this is part of the brew kit quarterly series, so the 5gal extract version is designed and proven. I'll post it for you.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    Lakewood said:

Good news for you is that this is part of the brew kit quarterly series, so the 5gal extract version is designed and proven. I'll post it for you.

alternately, i'll just buy the kit from you and compare it to my own version for kicks. up to you.
  • ThymThym

Lakewood said:

alternately, i'll just buy the kit from you and compare it to my own version for kicks. up to you.

that would be a welcome alternative. I'll send you the link for purchase :)