Apple cider/cyser/apfelwein
  • C_BC_B
    This discussion was created from comments split from: How many kegs do you have in your system?.

Ima put this over here.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Jeep, have you posted your Apfelwein recipe somewhere? I searched our site and didn't see it. I'm interested. Maybe good for Oktoberfest, take a while to ferment?
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    EdWort's recipe. Kinda. Apple juice and frozen apple juice concentrate. One can to one gallon is about right. Nottingham and yeast nutrient isn't a bad idea. Ferments out pretty quick. 6 months or more before it tastes great.
    Sign here______________________________
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    What about swapping honey for dextrose? Do you know an equivalent? @frydogbrews thoughts?
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    yeah, you can do that, but then you have a cyser, not an Apfelwine. it will have more mineral qualities from the honey.
  • C_BC_B
    Benvarine said:

Jeep, have you posted your Apfelwein recipe somewhere?

EdWort's recipe. Kinda. Apple juice and frozen apple juice concentrate. One can to one gallon is about right. Nottingham and yeast nutrient isn't a bad idea. Ferments out pretty quick. 6 months or more before it tastes great.

I want details. Like a legit recipe.
  • C_BC_B

yeah, you can do that, but then you have a cyser, not an Apfelwine. it will have more mineral qualities from the honey.

Please define "mineral qualities".
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Benvarine said:

What about swapping honey for dextrose? Do you know an equivalent? @frydogbrews thoughts?

Benvarine said:

How do I figure how much to add?

uhhhh.....hello.....i already said 3 pounds

The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    C_dubbs said:

Benvarine said:

I lost my notes on it. I diluted and measured the concentrate so I could calculate OG if I added another can later. Some research tells me that the concentrate may be in the 75 brix range, while apple juice is around 15 brix. I've been planning a stepped feeding Apfelwein until the yeast craps out. I'll get on it.
    Sign here______________________________
  • C_BC_B

Benvarine said:

uhhhh.....hello.....i already said 3 pounds

I nearly fell out of my chair just now.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    C_dubbs said:

tastes like rocks, but in a good way......

you know how you can taste a minerally-ness in really hard water? most people like that flavor....same thing.

• C_BC_B

C_dubbs said:

Benvarine said:

I lost my notes on it. I diluted and measured the concentrate so I could calculate OG if I added another can later. Some research tells me that the concentrate may be in the 75 brix range, while apple juice is around 15 brix. I've been planning a stepped feeding Apfelwein until the yeast craps out. I'll get on it.

Ok. Neat. I want to know more.
  • C_BC_B

C_dubbs said:

tastes like rocks, but in a good way......

you know how you can taste a minerally-ness in really hard water? most people like that flavor....same thing.

Ah ok. Yeah, I like that flavor.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    yeah, i seriously think you should never add honey unless you add 3 pounds or more. otherwise, you're just wasting honey. people that say they can taste 12 oz of honey added to a 5 gallon batch of beer need to do a blind tasting without the honey to realize that their brains are tricking them.
  • C_BC_B

yeah, i seriously think you should never add honey unless you add 3 pounds or more. otherwise, you're just wasting honey. people that say they can taste 12 oz of honey added to a 5 gallon batch of beer need to do a blind tasting without the honey to realize that their brains are tricking them.

I wondered if that 3 pounds thing was coming out of a legit reason... I couldn't tell because I thought you were hammered. But this makes sense.
  • FuzzyFuzzy

troof. unless it's burnt honey, that shows up much more easily.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    C_dubbs said:

I wondered if that 3 pounds thing was coming out of a legit reason... I couldn't tell because I thought you were hammered. But this makes sense.

i was hammered though. just to be clear.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    C_dubbs said:

The statement might be legit, but the source is not.
  • BenvarineBenvarine

Hey, the Kolsh recipe I got from @Lothos only had 12 oz. So that means you are full of crap or Lothos is trying to trick my brain. Which is it?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Benvarine said:

Hey, the Kolsh recipe I got from @Lothos only had 12 oz. So that means you are full of crap or Lothos is trying to trick my brain. Which is it?

They're both pretty devious.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    Benvarine said:

neither. lothos had already had his brain tricked and just passed the sickness on
  • ceanntceannt
    A pound of honey will bump up the gravity a bit ... and dry it up a little .. but does not impart a perceptable flavor ...
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.