Brew in a Bag Method Pictorial
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    So I switched to BIAB all-grain. There is another thread here with simple instructions. I thought I would add mine with photos.

I use a keggle with a 1/2" ball valve. My mom made me a bag out of voile. Ask for it at a fabric store. Also used 1" nylon webbing for the top and handles. We made three handles to pick up the bag and hang it. I got a tip from a website that suggested making the bottom tapered when using a keggle, that way it does not get stuck when pulling the bag out.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Check out the stitching on the handles if you are interested in making your own
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 2M
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Here is the set up before starting. Simple rig. All in one vessel. The bag is shown hanging from a rope when it comes time to drain.
    image.jpg
    1312 x 1757 - 724K
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I made a simple measuring stick to determine gallons in the keggle. I wanted a sight gauge, but I am not sure it's worth it.
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 2M
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I measured all grain and ground at the store. Placed in the bag. I added 8.5 gallons of water for a 5g batch. I heated water to around 130F then lowered the bag into the keggle. I secured the bag to the top with clips so the bottom of the bag is off the bottom of the keggle. I made this bag for a straight sided sanke keg, but still used my older keg which has different dimensions so the bag won't fit around the top. Didn't really matter.
    image.jpg
    2029 x 1516 - 830K
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I stirred a bit to ensure it is all mixed up and there are no clumps.
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 2M
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I brewed a Kolsh, so when I got to 149, I shut off the heat, put on the lid, wrapped in an old blanket first because the keggle is still hot, then wrapped my sleeping bag around it. I mashed for 85 minutes and started to unwrap. The temp dropped 2F over that time. Seems like insulation worked. I stirred, and fired back up, with grain bag still in. Raised temp to 162F and lifted bag. I suspended by a rope and carabiner. I suspended the bag just out of the wort so there was no hot side aeration from dripping water from a distance.
    image.jpg
    1478 x 1978 - 837K
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    That's basically it. Rest is as usual.
  • ThymThym
    great write up and pics! that bag is awesome, I just used a cheapo grain bag from the LHBS, that thing should last a good long time.

it's amazing how simple it really is, isn't it?
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Nice write up!
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Do you "sparge" or rinse the grain at all?
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    No spraging or rinsing. I'm not too familiar with it all yet, but considering you can stir the grain and swish it around a bit maybe that is why you don't have to rinse out the grain.
  • ThymThym
    Depends on how much strike water you use. I typical used a couple gallons less than my full boil volume so I could wash the grain while it was hanging
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Nice work! I was hoping to get around to doing this, but got really busy.

Sparging is not too hard if you have another pot. Heat up some water in the 2nd pot, I usually heat to 170 as the grain will decrease the heat a bit, and then dunk in the bag to the second pot. I leave it in for approx 15 minutes, pull it out, drain the bag, and then pour contents from pot 1 into pot 2.

It does help with the efficiency quite a bit.

*note - I am doing this in small 6gal/3gal pots on my kitchen stove. I can understand where this may be a bit more difficult working with larger equipment or one burner.
    Amigo, lay them raises down.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Evan_B said:

Nice work! I was hoping to get around to doing this, but got really busy.

Sparging is not too hard if you have another pot. Heat up some water in the 2nd pot, I usually heat to 170 as the grain will decrease the heat a bit, and then dunk in the bag to the second pot. I leave it in for approx 15 minutes, pull it out, drain the bag, and then pour contents from pot 1 into pot 2.

It does help with the efficiency quite a bit.

*note - I am doing this in small 6gal/3gal pots on my kitchen stove. I can understand where this may be a bit more difficult working with larger equipment or one burner.

i've done the same with small grain bags (partial mash), with good results.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • That grain bag is killer!