Tips on cleaning an erlenmeyer flask?
  • jlwjlw
    I was going to use my carboy brush. Any other tips?
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    PBR, er, I mean PBW.
    Sign here______________________________
  • ThymThym
    they have smaller brushes that are a little easier to control. and yeah pbw. avoid the pbr.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Yea, I used PBW but when I ran out, I used oxyclean. Not quite as good, but close second and much cheaper. I boil in mine, so I'm not as concerned about it being sanitized before reusing. Boiling for 15 takes care of it.
  • ThymThym
    Benvarine said:

Yea, I used PBW but when I ran out, I used oxyclean. Not quite as good, but close second and much cheaper. I boil in mine, so I'm not as concerned about it being sanitized before reusing. Boiling for 15 takes care of it.

as long as all the crud and junk is out you should be fine.
    It's a habit I've formed from using better bottles. Wet and stuff a washcloth in and shake and swirl. You would be amazed.
  • ThymThym

It's a habit I've formed from using better bottles. Wet and stuff a washcloth in and shake and swirl. You would be amazed.

...at how hard it is to get the wash cloth out. ;)
    Lakewood said:

Not bad. Just shake it until you get a loose corner.
  • C_BC_B

I do this with my carboys. Clean carboy and upper body workout at the same time. Done and done.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ceanntceannt
    Lakewood said:

Tie a stout string to one corner with a sheet bend knot .... keep the string outside .......
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    what we do in the lab for flasks with a bunch of crud is put some rock salt in it and sometimes some dry rice with a little water and shake the hell out of it. scours urrything off.
  • ThymThym

what we do in the lab for flasks with a bunch of crud is put some rock salt in it and sometimes some dry rice with a little water and shake the hell out of it. scours urrything off.

This is how I clean my keg fermenters. I just roll them with rock salt, pbw and a little water
  • C_BC_B
    Rock salt..... That's a handy idea.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • scoobscoob
    I haven't had a flask get so funky that I needed to do any heavy duty scrubbing, just a good rinsing, a soak with generic oxyclean and it's clean as a whistle!
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I used to clean some funky glass apparatus with salt and rubbing alcohol. Salt won't dissolve and it acts as an abrasive when shaking around. Probably not applicable to a flask due to the quantity of rubbing alcohol needed, but you could reuse the mixture over again instead of dumping out.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    If you're in no rush just soak it in oxi clean. Some vinegar in the mix helps too. Then just rinse really well and sanitize before use.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ceanntceannt
    Thanks guys .... now I have the tune "rock salt and nails" stuck in my head ....
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.