Blow off tubes
  • GryllEGryllE
    No rush, just wondering if anyone has any thoughts/ideas... I have been brewing steadily for about 6 years, and 7 months ago I moved to Missouri from Mississippi and have noticed that a blow off tube has been neccessary here for the majority of batches. I have always made 5ish gallon batches in 6 gallon carboys with an airlock and I have actually never needed a blow off tube before moving here. I do extract/mini-mash recipes in all sorts of styles. Any thoughts on differences that can cause foaming and overly vigorous fermentation?
  • piping_pigpiping_pig
    I have rarley ever needed a blowoff tube.... but I use a 7.5 gallon plastic bucket fermenter. I have found that there is a lot more foaming with batches that include a lot of roasted malts... robust porters/stouts that kind of thing.
    Strange that moving has caused this.... are you fermenting warmer?

ceannt
  • GryllEGryllE
    I think I've always brewed between 65 and 75 F (because that's what I keep my house at, and just don't brew much in the heat of the summer). Maybe I should switch to buckets!
  • GryllE said:

I think I've always brewed between 65 and 75 F (because that's what I keep my house at, and just don't brew much in the heat of the summer). Maybe I should switch to buckets!

there are advantages and disadvantages to both... I like the buckets cause they are easier to clean, and have a bit more headspace. Carboys work just fine, have less chance for nasties to hide in scratches... and are a whole lot easier to get the lid off and on...
  • ThymThym
    Has anything else changed in your brewing? Pitch rates, yeast strains, malts, mash temps, mash times, extract brand, boil vigor? There are a lot of factors that can factor into the vigor of fermentation and the thickness of the head. Even barometric pressure has a role to play, but I would start by looking at the other areas first.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • GryllE said:

there are advantages and disadvantages to both... I like the buckets cause they are easier to clean, and have a bit more headspace. Carboys work just fine, have less chance for nasties to hide in scratches... and are a whole lot easier to get the lid off and on...

You can buy separate lids at home depot that have an o-ring built in. They're pretty easy to get off and on, but you have to be careful that it is seated properly before you walk away and forget about it.

• GryllEGryllE
    I got extract and grains from various online suppliers while in Missip, because there aren't brew supply stores. I've been getting some different brands than I used to here, because of availability, maybe that's it - but I was frequently using different brands there too...
  • ThymThym
    GryllE said:

I got extract and grains from various online suppliers while in Missip, because there aren't brew supply stores. I've been getting some different brands than I used to here, because of availability, maybe that's it - but I was frequently using different brands there too...

Hmmmm..... I'm not convinced. Have your recipes/styles changed?
  • GryllEGryllE
    I don't feel like my recipes or styles have changed much - I'm all over the place with styles (variety is the spice of life!)) and always trying new things and experimenting with herb/veg additions. I guess it could be a combination of things mentioned (barometric pressure, different ingredient source)... one thing that has changed, I didn't think of before, I got a larger kettle and a wort chiller (versus smaller pot with ice bath). Could that make a difference?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    GryllE said:

I don't feel like my recipes or styles have changed much - I'm all over the place with styles (variety is the spice of life!)) and always trying new things and experimenting with herb/veg additions. I guess it could be a combination of things mentioned (barometric pressure, different ingredient source)... one thing that has changed, I didn't think of before, I got a larger kettle and a wort chiller (versus smaller pot with ice bath). Could that make a difference?

it most certainly could. quicker chilling affects the different proteins including the foam/head producing proteins.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • GryllEGryllE
    That might be it then. Thanks! ...sorry I didn't think of the chiller sooner...
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    if it's causing problems, and messes, you can always ferment a little cooler to keep it under control.
  • jlwjlw
    Personally I use a blow off tube on every beer. I have had a few messes and it's just as easy to set up a tube that runs into a bucket of sanitizer.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i have to use a blow off tube every third or fourth batch. i wait until gunk gets into the airlock then hook up the blow off tube. since i strain my wort, there isn't much in there to clog up the airlock, not quickly anyway.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I use a blow off from time to time. Basically after about 24 hours I can tell if its headed for eruption. I use a 6g Carboy with the bottom part of the airlock, stick a hose on the inner tube and run that to a growler of star san water.
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 2M
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    i never thought to do it like that. i just jam the hose directly into the stopper.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    You have to dedicate an airlock and hose, once on, tough to get off.
  • ThymThym
    Benvarine said:

make sure you break off the little cross on the bottom of the air-lock tube, or it will clog and blow out.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lakewood said:

Benvarine said:

make sure you break off the little cross on the bottom of the air-lock tube, or it will clog and blow out.

true, but not all of mine have them.
  • ThymThym

Lakewood said:

Benvarine said:

true, but not all of mine have them.

yup. just wanted to put that out there, just in case... just in case you do what i did the first time..
  • jlwjlw
    Benvarine said:

I use a blow off from time to time. Basically after about 24 hours I can tell if its headed for eruption. I use a 6g Carboy with the bottom part of the airlock, stick a hose on the inner tube and run that to a growler of star san water.

this is exactly how I rig up my blow off tubes
  • ceanntceannt
    Always wondered why they started putting the little cross doohickies on airlocks .... back when I started brewing they didn't have them ......????
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.