Erlenmeyer Flask Direct on the Burner?
  • jlwjlw
    I can put the flask direct on the burner? Correct?

PBR4LIFE
  • i'm interested here to. im going to get one of these flask thingys too
  • C_BC_B
    jlw said:

Gas or electric? Does it matter?

PBR4LIFE
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • jlwjlw
    C_dubbs said:

jlw said:

It's electric flat top. I don;t think it matters but what do I know?
  • C_BC_B
    jlw said:

C_dubbs said:

jlw said:

Right? I have old school electric. I think it is ok, but I have never had the balls to do it.

PBR4LIFE
  • jlwjlw
    C_dubbs said:

jlw said:

C_dubbs said:

jlw said:

Right? I have old school electric. I think it is ok, but I have never had the balls to do it.

google research says its ok on a glass top maybe ok on a electric coil but could crack due to the direct heat

PBR4LIFE
  • C_BC_B
    jlw said:

C_dubbs said:

jlw said:

C_dubbs said:

jlw said:

google research says its ok on a glass top maybe ok on a electric coil but could crack due to the direct heat

Bummers.

PBR4LIFE
  • i have a gas stove so i should be alrite. you guys think these flasks are worth ti?
  • C_BC_B
    PBR4LIFE said:

i have a gas stove so i should be alright. you guys think these flasks are worth it?

Without a doubt if you have a stirplate and want to do starters.
  • C_dubbs said:

PBR4LIFE said:

i have a gas stove so i should be alright. you guys think these flasks are worth it?

woohoo hell yeah i do. wait I ain't got a stir plate thingy.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

what type of glass is it? borosilicate can go directly on a flame. some other types of glass cannot.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • CurlyFatCurlyFat
    I have a borosilicate. I've never brought myself to put it on my flat-top electric, but I boil in it using the side burner on my grill. Right on the flame, works like a champ!

I took a short one a couple hours ago. It was nice. --
    C_B

• jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    Mine go on the flat top without issue. Watch you temp setting. I start it on high and turn it all the way to low and slowly work back up towards medium at the first hint of bubbles. Flat tops retain so much heat it makes precision control almost impossible.

jlw
    Sign here______________________________
  • CurlyFatCurlyFat

Mine go on the flat top without issue. Watch you temp setting. I start it on high and turn it all the way to low and slowly work back up towards medium at the first hint of bubbles. Flat tops retain so much heat it makes precision control almost impossible.

Yep. I hate mine. Wish I'd run a gas line when I put in the new stove.

I took a short one a couple hours ago. It was nice. --
    C_B

• scoobscoob
    PBR4LIFE said:

C_dubbs said:

PBR4LIFE said:

woohoo hell yeah i do. wait I ain't got a stir plate thingy.

Noticed you are in for the drawing, Good luck! Maybe you will have a stirplate after all!
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • BenvarineBenvarine

Yea, this. And make sure it is borosilicate. Do not use on electric coil type, not worth the risk. Uneven heating can cause it to break. I use a flat top.

I have heard when you use an electric coil, put flask in a pot of water, then heat the pot. I tired this, took 30 minutes with a rolling boil and it boiled the water gone, never boiled wort in the flask.
    CurlyFat said:

If we stay in this house long enough to replace the range it will be replaced with a gas range. Undecided on the oven. I thing I've heard arguments for electric there. The has line runs across the kitchen ceiling. Solder in a T and run the line down the wall. Easy.
  • ThymThym

CurlyFat said:

If we stay in this house long enough to replace the range it will be replaced with a gas range. Undecided on the oven. I thing I've heard arguments for electric there. The has line runs across the kitchen ceiling. Solder in a T and run the line down the wall. Easy.

sort of off topic but..
    most of the better combination ovens are electric these days. unless you are going with a stove oven combo, in which all gas is the best option.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Benvarine said:

Yea, this. And make sure it is borosilicate. Do not use on electric coil type, not worth the risk. Uneven heating can cause it to break. I use a flat top.

I have heard when you use an electric coil, put flask in a pot of water, then heat the pot. I tired this, took 30 minutes with a rolling boil and it boiled the water gone, never boiled wort in the flask.

I tried this. The bottom of the pot must not have been perfectly flat because some water was boiling under the flask causing it to jump around and stuff. Epic mess.
  • ceanntceannt
    I have a Bosch dual fuel guy..... the range is gas ... and the oven is an electric convection deal ..... absolutely love it
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • jlwjlw
    I risked it and put the flask directly on the glass top burner and it worked great. I really love the glass top for this type of thing. It makes cleaning up the eventual boil overs soooooo much easier.

I told my wife i felt a boil over and mess coming and she said nah it will be fine. Then about 2 minutes later boil over.
    They will boil over. That's another benefit to the 2000ml+ ernys. You get more of a chance to catch it before it goes all volcano on you.

jlw
  • ceanntceannt
    Just don't ever let the wort sit on it .... it will harden into a mess that will NEVER clean off .....
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • jlwjlw
    ceannt said:

Just don't ever let the wort sit on it .... it will harden into a mess that will NEVER clean off .....

They areally are easy to clean up. If you get a bad boil over anything you can just pour water on them and let that kind of boil and then use a plastic scraper (like you would use on a cooking stone) and the stuff come right off. Then once it cools I come back over it with simple green. Cleans up nice.