Erlenmeyer Flask Sizing
  • jlwjlw
    I'm going to finally break down and buy a flask. Up until this point I have been using a big pickle jar from costco. I was going to just get a 2000ml flask but noticed that the lager recipes call for much larger starters so I think I am going to get a 5000ml flask.

Is there any concern with using the larger flask all the time even for smaller starters? I think the answer is NO but thought I would check to see if there was something I wasn't thinking.
  • scoobscoob
    I use a 2000ml for everything, I step my starters for lagers so while one half is refrigerating to decant, I'm stirring up a second flask on the stirplate, besides, I rarely do lagers so the massive flask is not critical.

Elides,I have a difficult enough time finding storage space for the 2000ml, I would be at a loss to store a huge flask like the 5000ml ones.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • jlwjlw
    azscoob said:

I use a 2000ml for everything, I step my starters for lagers so while one half is refrigerating to decant, I'm stirring up a second flask on the stirplate, besides, I rarely do lagers so the massive flask is not critical.

Elides,I have a difficult enough time finding storage space for the 2000ml, I would be at a loss to store a huge flask like the 5000ml ones.

That's a really good point. Plus I could continue to use my pickle jar for the step up storage.

2000ml it is. And...I think I will still have enough cash to buy one of your stir plates. @azscoob
  • scoobscoob
    Sweet!
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    to answer the question though, no, there is no reason not to use a larger flask than you need for this purpose.
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    IF you're going to be starting your ... starters ... from slants then it would be beneficial to have a range of flasks from like 10mL to 1000mL. I think Cynmar sells a little set of varying volumes for a reasonable price, if I remember correctly.
    Amigo, lay them raises down.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Evan_B said:

IF you're going to be starting your ... starters ... from slants then it would be beneficial to have a range of flasks from like 10mL to 1000mL. I think Cynmar sells a little set of varying volumes for a reasonable price, if I remember correctly.

no need for a flask smaller than 50L, the extra air space would be beneficial to the growth phase.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • Evan_BEvan_B

Evan_B said:

no need for a flask smaller than 50L, the extra air space would be beneficial to the growth phase.

yeah you're right. Just went and checked, and the smallest I have is 25mL, which I have used exactly zero times. The next one up is 50mL, 100mL, so on and so on...
    Amigo, lay them raises down.
  • jlwjlw
    Just ordered the 2000ml flask. It's a starter. Get it? I crack me up sometimes. :))
  • ThymThym
    looks like, with a honest to goodness stir plate on its way, it's time for me to go buy a new Erlenmeyer flask... the last two somehow miraculously got destroyed when i had them on the kitchen counter.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • scoobscoob
    Lakewood said:

looks like, with a honest to goodness stir plate on its way, it's time for me to go buy a new Erlenmeyer flask... the last two somehow miraculously got destroyed when i had them on the kitchen counter.

I would buy two, and store them high up, also I recommend using a fridge magnet to fish the stir bar out, or it WILL end up in a fermenter for a month.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • C_BC_B
    azscoob said:

Lakewood said:

also I recommend using a fridge magnet to fish the stir bar out, or it WILL end up in a fermenter for a month.

Oh that's a good idea.... I usually just pour slowly until I leave the stirbar and a little slurry left in the flask. But it's only a matter of time....
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    we have plastic (nalgene) rods with a magnet on the end to fish the stir bar out. they're great, but i don't know where you would get them from.

• ThymThym

we have plastic (nalgene) rods with a magnet on the end to fish the stir bar out. they're great, but i don't know where you would get them from.

Could we get them from you?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lakewood said:

i'd rather not try to fish stirbars out of lye solution without them, so no.
  • ThymThym

Lakewood said:

isn't there like a supply closet full of them?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    these are the ones,

http://www.amazon.com/Dynalon-303305-Polypropylene-Stirring-Retriever/dp/B004AHL6VQ

probably a better price somewhere, but here they are.

• FuzzyFuzzy
    Lakewood said:

Lakewood said:

nope.
  • ThymThym

these are the ones,

http://www.amazon.com/Dynalon-303305-Polypropylene-Stirring-Retriever/dp/B004AHL6VQ

probably a better price somewhere, but here they are.

considering i could buy like 40 stir bars for that price, i might as well just get one for each fermenter and dump them in. i only have 4 fermenters anyway.
  • ThymThym

Lakewood said:

Lakewood said:

nope.

i can see why
  • ThymThym
    oh, it's a case of six...
  • ThymThym
    thats about $14 per retriever. still too expensive.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lakewood said:

still a bit pricey, but they're handy.
  • ThymThym

Lakewood said:

still a bit pricey, but they're handy.

Lakewood said:

thats about $14 per retriever. still too expensive.

yes
  • ThymThym
    seems like you could just use a small magnet to hold it to the bottom of the flask while you are pouring. then when youre done, remove the magnet and dump the stir bar out.

or am i oversimplifying an obviously complex problem?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lakewood said:

seems like you could just use a small magnet to hold it to the bottom of the flask while you are pouring. then when youre done, remove the magnet and dump the stir bar out.

that's not a shiny new toy, it'll never work.
  • ThymThym

Lakewood said:

true. i should wrap it in some plastic and put a logo on it. then i can sell it.
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

Lakewood said:

true. i should wrap it in some plastic and put a logo on it. then i can sell it.

Really. This. Seriously.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    Lakewood said:

Lakewood said:

i have a supply closet full of them
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    Lakewood said:

Lakewood said:

just keep the logo reserved and you could sell it to university's, private research labs and walgreens photo labs (where FZ works) for bunches of money
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I use the standard funnel and optional screen available at most lhbs. Works great for catching the bar.
  • ThymThym
    Ok, I have a simple design that I will unveil shortly. It'll be a $2 bar catcher.
  • scoobscoob
    Lakewood said:

Ok, I have a simple design that I will unveil shortly. It'll be a $2 bar catcher.

One chopstick, and one wad of gum..... Replacement pack of gum sold separately
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ThymThym
    azscoob said:

Lakewood said:

well.. yeah, i guess... but my idea is a little more hygienic.
  • scoobscoob
    Lakewood said:

azscoob said:

Lakewood said:

well.. yeah, i guess... but my idea is a little more hygienic.

But mine tastes like gum!
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    I have a 1000ml and 2000ml, of which the 2000ml gets considerably more use. I've considered a 5000ml but for the cost I might just have to slum it with gallon jugs and steps. A 100ml and 500ml would be more useful than the 5000ml especially for bottle cultures and wild yeast projects for a lot less $$$.
    Sign here______________________________