Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone
  • C_BC_B
    This discussion was created from comments split from: Troeg's Mad Elf Clone Recipe (PM).

Lakewood said:

Oh and I'd be interested in your take on the Ed Fitz recipe too.

"On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B

I'm getting ready to do an Edmund Fitzgerald porter that I've tweeked the recipe, and going to add vanilla to.

And about that EF recipe... I've never thought to add vanilla to it, but that sounds dang good!
  • Yeah, I'm going to give it a try. I'm going to substitute yeast. I have wlp005 here, so I'm going to use that. I believe the recipe calls for wyeast 1968. I'm also converting to extract, and cutting the hops to about 3/4 of the recipe. IBU's are a little to high for me.
  • ThymThym

Yeah, I'm going to give it a try. I'm going to substitute yeast. I have wlp005 here, so I'm going to use that. I believe the recipe calls for wyeast 1968. I'm also converting to extract, and cutting the hops to about 3/4 of the recipe. IBU's are a little to high for me.

i've never been a fan of a lot of hops in a porter. is it all bittering or are there late additions in the recipe?
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • there is one addition late in the recipe. im just cutting them all back. the recipe states 67 ibu's. the recipe from great lakes i believe is 34 ibu's
  • jlwjlw
    Just looked at their site and it is 37 IBU's. One of my favorite porters and one of my favorite breweries.
  • ThymThym

there is one addition late in the recipe. im just cutting them all back. the recipe states 67 ibu's. the recipe from great lakes i believe is 34 ibu's

I haven't brewed a lot of porters or stouts, but my impression of them from tasting and reading is that a single early addition should be appropriate. Late additions don't go with most of the dark styles. And as you and JLW indicate, I would think the commercial version is in the mid 30s for IBUs 67 is getting up toward cascadian dark ale level.
  • gonna give it a try and see how it turns out. ill let everyone know.
  • ThymThym

gonna give it a try and see how it turns out. ill let everyone know.

sweet looking forward to it.
  • jlwjlw
    If you don't mind post the recipe. I might like to brew something like this sometime this year
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    I have always wanted to try the Edmund Fitzgerald, not just because of the sweet-ass name either! In northern cali I get to enjoy plenty of Deschutes Black Butte Porter, but really outside of that I haven't been real impressed with the porter selection. Alaskan Brewing's Smoked Porter is another awesome one. Stone's smoked porter was kind of "bleh" to me, and the vanilla bean version was entirely too sweet, almost like cream soda.
    Amigo, lay them raises down.
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Lakewood said:

Yeah, I'm going to give it a try. I'm going to substitute yeast. I have wlp005 here, so I'm going to use that. I believe the recipe calls for wyeast 1968. I'm also converting to extract, and cutting the hops to about 3/4 of the recipe. IBU's are a little to high for me.

i've never been a fan of a lot of hops in a porter. is it all bittering or are there late additions in the recipe?

Most of my brews early in my brewing career have been stouts and porters. In my research I came across the East India Porter, which was brewed in Europe and distributed to India, very similar to the history of the IPA. These were usually hopped very generously. I am not sure how this wasn't a Cascadian Dark (black IPA) from way back when. In any case I have done some research, and compiled a recipe I will be trying when I find the time.

The East India Porter is different from the West India Porter, which I believe was the product of Guinness. Anyways, the recipe I have set up measures at 98 IBUs .... for a porter!!!!!! Crazy
    Amigo, lay them raises down.
  • C_BC_B
    Evan_B said:

I have always wanted to try the Edmund Fitzgerald, not just because of the sweet-ass name either! In northern cali I get to enjoy plenty of Deschutes Black Butte Porter, but really outside of that I haven't been real impressed with the porter selection. Alaskan Brewing's Smoked Porter is another awesome one. Stone's smoked porter was kind of "bleh" to me, and the vanilla bean version was entirely too sweet, almost like cream soda.

I really like the Edmund Fitzgerald. To me it's just an all around solid representation of the style. Plus I like homebrewertodd's vanilla idea.