German hallertau IPA or Pale
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Anyone have or could suggest a recipe for a German IPA or Pale ale using all or mostly hallertau, around 5-6% AA. I have a gallon freezer bag of these from AB great hop giveaway this fall. I don't use that much hallertau, hoping for maybe a single hop beer, but might need to use something else to bitter with.
  • ThymThym
    I'm not sure what a German IPA is...

But I'd probably just use it for a big Bock. Potentially you could do an APA and just blast the last 15 minutes with all of the Halletau... not sure what that would really taste like though. I'd use something like Centennial for bittering.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ceanntceannt
    Work real well for a hopped up Maibock
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    Bunch of pilsner malt ... bout 15-20 Vienna ... a touch of light munich .. a dab of caramunich ... bitter with a couple ounces and late hop the heck out of it .... say S-05

piping_pig
  • ceanntceannt
    That was % on the Vienna ....
  • C_BC_B
    Do whatever Ken says. It'll be good.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Awesome. And Lake is right, there is no such thing as a German IPA or Pale Ale, but it sounded cool becasue it would be all German hops.
  • C_BC_B
    Benvarine said:

Awesome. And Lake is right, there is no such thing as a German IPA or Pale Ale, but it sounded cool becasue it would be all German hops.

Nah, go with it. Tell all of your friends that whatever this turns into is "a classic example of the German IPA style" and then giggle when they repeat that to other people. But you better get it up over 1000 IBU's or Fry will ridicule you for calling it an IPA.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Maybe I'll stick with German Pale Ale. I don't want to insult Fry, and I haven't read MItch Steele's book, so who am I to make up my own IPA recipie.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    Benvarine said:

Maybe I'll stick with German Pale Ale. I don't want to insult Fry, and I haven't read MItch Steele's book, so who am I to make up my own IPA recipie.

good call.

Lakewood said:

Potentially you could do an APA and just blast the last 15 minutes with all of the Halletau...

i also want to point out that an APA with a bunch of hallertau in it is not an APA, soooo....you know.....there's that.

i do like the sound of GPA though. it would sell huge to college kids.
    "hello son, what are you doing this weekend"
    "oh you know mom, just working on my GPA"
  • ThymThym

Benvarine said:

good call.

Lakewood said:

Potentially you could do an APA and just blast the last 15 minutes with all of the Halletau...

i also want to point out that an APA with a bunch of hallertau in it is not an APA, soooo....you know.....there's that.

i do like the sound of GPA though. it would sell huge to college kids.
    "hello son, what are you doing this weekend"
    "oh you know mom, just working on my GPA"

This is true, on both points.
  • ThymThym
    Its like a German-American Pale Ale, you know cause they emmigrated a couple years ago and brought some of their traditional heritage, but they are trying to fit in.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    yeah....germans just trying to fit in.....that's what they do.....
  • jlwjlw

like when they bombed pearl harbor
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Ha, I love it.
  • ceanntceannt
    jlw said:

like when they bombed pearl harbor

Hey ... it ain't over til we say its over!

piping_pig
  • ThymThym
    Benvarine said:

Ha, I love it.

so hows this beer coming along? you got a recipe yet or shall we just continue with the idle chatter?
  • jlwjlw
    Lakewood said:

Benvarine said:

Ha, I love it.

so hows this beer coming along? you got a recipe yet or shall we just continue with the idle chatter?

I'm glad no one here gets pissed at the constant thread hijacking.
  • C_BC_B
    jlw said:

Lakewood said:

Benvarine said:

Ha, I love it.

I'm glad no one here gets pissed at the constant thread hijacking.

Yeah.... About that.... That's going to need to change.... As long as lake is the number 1 offender I'm going to leave it alone.
  • ceanntceannt
    OK .... back on topic ....
    how does this sound for a grain bill for a 5 gallon batch?

6 pounds pilsner malt
    4 pounds Vienna malt
    2 pounds light munich malt
    8 ounces caramunich

Should give you an O.G. around 1.065
    And an SRM around 9.... maybe a tad darker
  • ceanntceannt
    Mash in the 152 to 154 range .... I see no need to do a decoction mash ...
  • ceanntceannt
    I would be tempted to go light on the bittering addition ... maybe an ounce of perle and a half ounce of H...
    and then put an ounce of H in at 15.... 10.... and 5 minutes ... with 2 more ounces at flame out ...
    Not sure I would dry hop ... might be a little "grassy"
  • ceanntceannt
    Just some suggestions ....
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

put your glasses on, gramps.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

put your glasses on, gramps.

but all my glasses are full of beer....
  • ceanntceannt
    all them hops.... cover up any benifit from a decoction mash... a single to mash out with a 15-min. boil is about it.... more than that would be a waste of time
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Lakewood said:

Benvarine said:

Ha, I love it.

I have one more batch of extract before I switch over to most likely BIAB. So I am going simple on this one, but then I'm in for these suggestions. I have a ton of these hops, so plenty of room for recipes in the future. But, by all means keep taking this thread down weird avenues.
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    I like the idea od a hopped-up maibock, but I was also wondering what an ESB grist with a bunch of hallertau might do.... could be interesting, like the Battle of Britain of beers. While this may not be politically correct, Bitter Fascist has a nice ring to it.
    Amigo, lay them raises down.
  • ThymThym
    Evan_B said:

I like the idea od a hopped-up maibock, but I was also wondering what an ESB grist with a bunch of hallertau might do.... could be interesting, like the Battle of Britain of beers. While this may not be politically correct, Bitter Fascist has a nice ring to it.

There's a line somewhere. Not sure where it is. But this was funny.
  • ceanntceannt
    Since when has anybody on here worried about being politically correct?