picnic taps and mold.
  • ThymThym
    I've always pulled my picnic taps apart and cleaned them between switchovers. But there were a couple that had been on the same kegs for a good long while.... Looks like its time for some new ones.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    gross, but is it really mold?
  • ThymThym

gross, but is it really mold?

Yes, definitely mold. Black and green mold. Tried to clean one of them and it had dug in so hard that it pitted into the rubber.
  • C_BC_B
    Eeeek! I need to check mine. And now I really don't want to.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    C_dubbs said:

yes, you really should check them. If the've been in service more than a few months take a look.

I'm sure it depends a lot on how common mold problems are in your area. For me i have to clean the kegerator door seals and interior parts every six months or so, otherwise mold shows up on them.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    Lakewood said:

C_dubbs said:

yes, you really should check them. If the've been in service more than a few months take a look.

I'm sure it depends a lot on how common mold problems are in your area. For me i have to clean the kegerator door seals and interior parts every six months or so, otherwise mold shows up on them.

weird.
    my keezer has been kicking for 3 years and never a spot of mold. and its pretty wet in there in the summer. i should take apart my taps and clean them. they are not picninc taps. never taken them apart. i run a small bristle brush up there every few months though.
    they are the regular metal taps from midwest. i forget what kind. not the top of the line, but not the cheapo's either. how often should i be taking those things apart? can i take those apart?
  • ThymThym
    @kegcowboy @kegoutlet

You guys might want to add your input here. I don't know much about how the metal ones go together.
  • FuzzyFuzzy

Lakewood said:

C_dubbs said:

weird.
    my keezer has been kicking for 3 years and never a spot of mold. and its pretty wet in there in the summer. i should take apart my taps and clean them. they are not picninc taps. never taken them apart. i run a small bristle brush up there every few months though.
    they are the regular metal taps from midwest. i forget what kind. not the top of the line, but not the cheapo's either. how often should i be taking those things apart? can i take those apart?

can and should. they're either stainless steel or more likely chrome covered brass. you can see here how most of them are set up:

they might be a little hard to get apart after a few years of use, but they should go back together pretty easy after you clean em.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    you unscrew part 2 from part 6 and part 3 from the threads on the body of the faucet. after that, everything should come apart.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    wow, that looks like a pain in the butt.
    i like my little bristlebrush more and more!
  • C_BC_B
    The top of my keg that I just pulled out of the kegerator was all spotted with mold on top. Given the pattern around the out post I'm going to guess that I took that QD off once or twice and maybe dribbled some beer around. If everything is clean, the mold can't grow right?
  • C_BC_B
    I just checked both of my picnic taps. One was clean as a whistle. This was the other. I'm soaking in oxy right now. Then probably the trash can. I really kinda freaked out.
    IMAG0767.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 631K
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_dubbs said:

I just checked both of my picnic taps. One was clean as a whistle. This was the other. I'm soaking in oxy right now. Then probably the trash can. I really kinda freaked out.

eeew. what's it taste like?
  • C_BC_B

C_dubbs said:

Ha. Licorice?

Anywho.... The one that had all this junk on it is the one I had the apfelwein on last. I wonder if this is the icky stuff that was coming out in the pour pictured in this thread right here.
    I don't understand why one tap is so bad and the other had nothing on it at all.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_dubbs said:

C_dubbs said:

Ha. Licorice?

Anywho.... The one that had all this junk on it is the one I had the apfelwein on last. I wonder if this is the icky stuff that was coming out in the pour pictured in this thread right here.
    I don't understand why one tap is so bad and the other had nothing on it at all.

hops? or possibly the acidity of the apfelwein. i know from cheesemaking that molds tend to thrive in an acidic environment.
  • C_BC_B

C_dubbs said:

C_dubbs said:

Ha. Licorice?

hops? or possibly the acidity of the apfelwein. i know from cheesemaking that molds tend to thrive in an acidic environment.

That makes sense. That keg was on tap for quite a while.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    even more reason to not use picinc taps
  • C_BC_B

even more reason to not use picinc taps

Agreed.
  • ThymThym
    C_dubbs said:

toss it. even if it looks clean there will be pockets that have been dug by the mold and it will get funky really fast.
  • ThymThym
    C_dubbs said:

C_dubbs said:

Ha. Licorice?

I wuold assume thats what is floating in the glass. it's hard to know, but i had two of the three in my fridge come out looking like that. the other one was clean
  • ceanntceannt
    OK ..... Note to self :

Don't go with picnic taps ..
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    When I go to kegs I'll bite the bullet and get real taps .... and use my cheap shank design
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

OK ..... Note to self :

They're a cheap temporary alternative. The trick is to keep them temporary.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_dubbs said:

ceannt said:

OK ..... Note to self :

or clean them more than once every few years.
  • C_BC_B

C_dubbs said:

ceannt said:

OK ..... Note to self :

or clean them more than once every few years.

Well sure. I suppose I could try that.
  • scoobscoob
    ceannt said:

OK ..... Note to self :

Yes, I upgraded to perlick taps from the standard chrome jobs, best thing I ever did.
    Jesus didn't wear pants