Snow Storm Imperial Wit
  • ThymThym
    This beer is part of the Brew Kit Quarterly subscription as an Extract version. The flavor and composition of the beer is virtually identical in both extract and all-grain versions, however the all-grain brew will match the SRM listed below, while the extract version will end up being somewhat darker.

Description: A luscious, full bodied Wit Bier with one hell of a punch. Like drinking a loaf of bread. Unlike most light Wit biers, this beer ages well and gets better with time thanks to it's relatively high ABV and complex flavor profile.

Batch Size: 10 gal
    Boil Volume: 12 gal
    Mash Temp: 150 degF
    OG: 1.061
    FG: 1.012
    Yeast: WLP400 Belgian Wit
    Est. ABV: 6.5%
    SRM: 9
    IBU: 16

Grain Bill:
    Wheat Malt (GWM) 15
    Aromatic Malt 1
    Flaked Wheat 2.5
    American 2-Row Barley 6

Boil Additions:
    Hops Type Alpha Acid Content Amount (oz) Boil Time
    Cascade (U.S.) 5.4% 1 60
    Hallertauer (U.S.) 4.4% 0.5 30
    Saaz (U.S.) 5.8% 1 10
    Corriander 0.0% 1 15
    Corriander 0.0% 1 0
    Bitter Orange (Dry) 0.0% 1 15
    Fresh Orange Peel 0.0% 1 15

Mash: Single infusion mash at 147-150 degF.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Very nice. I'm all up on this one.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • djsethalldjsethall
    I like the ratio of wheat to 2 row. I'm sure the diastic enzymes will be in full force. Who did the label?
  • ThymThym
    djsethall said:

I like the ratio of wheat to 2 row. I'm sure the diastic enzymes will be in full force. Who did the label?

The ratio works well, it keeps the mash from getting gummy and allows it to convert well. You could go heavier with wheat but it's going to be a difficult mash to controll and I don't feel it will end up with any better flavor, just more chances that something is going to go wrong.

I used an online label application to put this one together. I'll have to post the web address.
  • ThymThym

Very nice. I'm all up on this one.

Let me know how it comes out :)

I usually ferment for two weeks at 68degF then ramp the temp up to 72 for two-three days to ensure everything gets cleaned up nice, then I crash it, keg it and carb it. The crash probably isn't all that necesarry, but it helps to control how much yeast ends up in the final product. It a low floc yeast, so it's going to have quite a bit of yeast in suspension, the crash just takes care of the big stuff. Plus you can always stir a little up when transferring if you don't think its white enough.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    what are the amounts on the coriander and orange. i assume the 1 means ounce for peel, but how's about the coriander? 1 gram?
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ThymThym

what are the amounts on the coriander and orange. i assume the 1 means ounce for peel, but how's about the coriander? 1 gram?

oz.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    that seems like a lot of spice. how bold is it in the final beer?
  • ThymThym
    depends a lot on how finely you grind it. i grind it to a powder, and it comes through pretty forward. but i like the way it comes out. all of the flavors are pretty intense in the beer, but overall it's well balanced. it's one of my most popular brews.
  • ThymThym
    also, as a reminder, this is a 10 gal brew. if you are making it as a 5 gal batch, cut each spice by 50%
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    you're the boss. i think i'll still cut it by 1/3, for a 5 gallon batch, as i'm not a big fan of coriander.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ok, finally drinking this one. i cut the coriander by 33%, used mittelfrauh (sp?) as the late addition hop, and used wyeast 3944. It's delicious.

Kudos on the great recipe, lake!
  • ThymThym

ok, finally drinking this one. i cut the coriander by 33%, used mittelfrauh (sp?) as the late addition hop, and used wyeast 3944. It's delicious.

Kudos on the great recipe, lake!

thank you sir. I'd love to try your take on this ;)
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lakewood said:

C_dubbs said:

Lakewood said:

C_dubbs said:

Hey @lakewood how long does it take for your imperial wit to get from brew day to drinking?

I've pushed it grain to glass in 3 weeks. it's better if you give it a little longer.

Good to know.

since it isn't intended to be clear you can be a bit hasty on the finish. but i prefer to keep it in the fermenter for four weeks.

C_dubbs said:

Lakewood said:

C_dubbs said:

Lakewood said:

C_dubbs said:

Hey @lakewood how long does it take for your imperial wit to get from brew day to drinking?

I've pushed it grain to glass in 3 weeks. it's better if you give it a little longer.

Good to know.

since it isn't intended to be clear you can be a bit hasty on the finish. but i prefer to keep it in the fermenter for four weeks.

I keep everything in the fermenter for four weeks.

for that beer, ferment right in the middle of the yeast range, but underpitch just a little to drive up the ester/phenol production. wyeast 3944.

• FuzzyFuzzy
  • C_BC_B
    Neat. Safe to say this is number 2 on the list. Eventhough I said I was going to do it over a year ago.
  • C_BC_B
    This is number two on my list. Done and done. But I'm going to back off the coriander like FZ. How much is the "right" underpitch?
  • C_BC_B
    I plugged this into Hopville. I dropped 5 lbs of wheat malt and subbed in 4 lbs of wheat DME to keep the mash in my 5 gallon MLT. Otherwise I just cut the coriander and and orange by half. I'm excited.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_B said:

I plugged this into Hopville. I dropped 5 lbs of wheat malt and subbed in 4 lbs of wheat DME to keep the mash in my 5 gallon MLT. Otherwise I just cut the coriander and and orange by half. I'm excited.

cut the coriander, not the orange. it's peel, not extract, so it won't get overpowering unless you add a whole lot.