What should be my next IPA?
  • jlwjlw
    Right now I have my Rye IPA in Bottles and I just kegged a Stone Ruination clone.

I need to get another IPA in process in the next weekend or two.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    belgian/farmhouse ipa, cascadian dark ale? or were you looking for something more west coast?
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ceanntceannt
    A little off the wall ...... but how 'bout
    a single malt IIPA with Golden Promise .... mash around 152... single decoction to mash out .... a boatload of Centennial ... and a high gravity Belgian yeast?
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • jlwjlw

belgian/farmhouse ipa, cascadian dark ale? or were you looking for something more west coast?

I have the cascadian dark ale on schedule for some point
  • jlwjlw

ceannt said:

A little off the wall ...... but how 'bout
    a single malt IIPA with Golden Promise .... mash around 152... single decoction to mash out .... a boatload of Centennial ... and a high gravity Belgian yeast?

would the belgian/farmhouse ipa be similar to ceannt ipa idea with the Belgian yeast?

I had planned one last year with Belgian yeast and at the last minute scrapped the Belgian yeast for WLP001

Commercially speaking any examples of what you guys are talking about?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

would the belgian/farmhouse ipa be similar to ceannt ipa idea with the Belgian yeast?

i suppose, though i probably wouldn't go with centennial.

jlw said:

Commercially speaking any examples of what you guys are talking about?

nope. i haven't had any. i was just thinking it would be different from what you already have, yet still satisfy the craving for an ipa. i've had a couple belgian/farmhouse pale ales, but i didn't care for them much. i think it only works with the higher gravity and ibus of an ipa.
  • ceanntceannt
    Raging bitch comes to mind
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

keep my mother in law out of this!
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    i haven't tried this one, but the description sounds really tasty.

http://www.clownshoesbeer.com/tramp/
  • jlwjlw
    ceannt said:

Yep. That's what I thought but wanted to see if I was on to it. I think you and FZ are thinking same idea here.

I love Raging Bitch and one of my favorite IPA's is Founders Centennial IPA (single hop). Time to do some research.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    try to make a Zombie Dust clone. basically a clean, simple ipa, like founders centennial, but single hopped with citra.
  • jlwjlw

try to make a Zombie Dust clone. basically a clean, simple ipa, like founders centennial, but single hopped with citra.

This also sounds really good. I have wanted to make a all citra hop ipa for a long time.
  • jlwjlw
    I think I am going to make both of these. maybe a double brew day soon.

@frydogbrews do you have a Zombie Dust recipe? Or something close? I have found a few recipes on the webs but have a little concern on the 60L being used. For a super clean ipa I was thinking I would go no higher than 15 to 20L and use very little.
  • jlwjlw
    here is a recipe I found. I will start another thread for both beers. 60L just seems wrong for a super clean IPA. I have never had this beer so I am flying blind.

11 lbs 12.0 oz Canadian 2-Row Malt (1.9 SRM) Grain 1
    16.0 oz Munich 10L Malt (10.0 SRM) Grain 2
    8.0 oz Caramalt (12.0 SRM) Grain 3
    8.0 oz Caramel Malt 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4
    8.0 oz Melanoidin Malt (26.5 SRM) Grain 5
    0.8 oz Citra [12.0%] - First Wort Hops 6
    1.0 oz Citra [12.0%] - Boil 15 min Hops 7
    1.0 oz Citra [12.0%] - Boil 10 min Hops 8
    6888474.33 tsp Whirlfloc Tablets (Irish moss) (Boil 10 min) Misc 9
    6888474.33 tsp Yeast Nutrient (AKA Fermax) (Boil 10 min) Misc 10
    1.3 oz Citra [12.0%] - Boil 5 min Hops 11
    1.0 oz Citra [12.0%] - Boil 1 min Hops 12
    0 pkgs English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) Yeast 13
    3.0 oz Citra [12.0%] - Dry Hop 7 days Hops 14
  • jlwjlw
    The Raging Bitch is a very simple beer. I like it. One thing I have learned is it is not dry hopped. I may change that for my recipe.

Basically it has a bunch of us 2 row and a little bit 60L and seems they either use a wit yeast or a trappist yeast. Not sure which is correct yet.
  • C_BC_B
    jlw said:

The Raging Bitch is a very simple beer. I like it. One thing I have learned is it is not dry hopped. I may change that for my recipe.

Basically it has a bunch of us 2 row and a little bit 60L and seems they either use a wit yeast or a trappist yeast. Not sure which is correct yet.

Would a wit give off that Belgiany funk? There is no mistaking RB as having a Belgian yeast.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    yeah, don't use 60L in a Zombie Dust clone.
    i wouldn't go any higher than 15L, for sure. otherwise, just follow any other recipe for two hearted or founder centennial, but use all citra instead.
    its delicious.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i wouldn't bother first wort hopping it either. that's someone trying to make something more complicated than it is
  • jlwjlw
    @ceannt how much hops are you thinking for the single hopped centennial iipa?
  • ceanntceannt
    jlw said:

A lot ....
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

jlw said:

A lot ....

you should try mash hopping. just to see what that does.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    jlw said:

in my 5 gallon batch i used something like 1/2 oz for bittering, then 4 oz for flavor spaced between 20 minutes and 5 minutes, and another 2 oz at flameout.
  • jlwjlw
    Ok. I was just going order like 10 oz of citra from Wholesalehops.com
  • ceanntceannt

jlw said:

in my 5 gallon batch i used something like 1/2 oz for bittering, then 4 oz for flavor spaced between 20 minutes and 5 minutes, and another 2 oz at flameout.

That sounds about right
  • jlwjlw
    just ordered 10 oz of citra. hope it gets here by next weekend. I am going to try and do the centennial hopped beer this weekend so I will eed to buy from the LHBS. Hope he will sell me enough hops.