Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
    ----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
    Pre-Boil Wort Size: 6.47 Gal
    Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.053 SG 13.03 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    70.8 8.50 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
    12.5 1.50 lbs. White Wheat Belgium 1.040 3
    4.2 0.50 lbs. CaraMunich Malt Belgium 1.033 75
    4.2 0.50 lbs. Flaked Oats America 1.033 2
    8.3 1.00 lbs. Honey 1.042 0

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    0.50 oz. Sorachi Ace Whole 14.00 24.2 First WH
    0.50 oz. Fuggle Whole 4.75 4.6 30 min.
    1.00 oz. Fuggle Whole 4.75 4.9 15 min.

Yeast
    -----

WYeast 3711 PC French Saison

Mash Schedule
    -------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 11.00
    Water Qts: 14.30 - Before Additional Infusions
    Water Gal: 3.58 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.30 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 149 Time: 60
    Mash-out Rest Temp : 212 Time: 10
    Sparge Temp : 170 Time: 10

Total Mash Volume Gal: 4.46 - Dough-In Infusion Only

Notes
    -----

1 tsp black pepper at 15 minute mark

1 tsp corriander at 15 minute mark

Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    Perhaps it's time to dust this one off and brew it!
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ceanntceannt
    I saw the title to this thread .... and my brain said "cottage cheese"...... gaak ...
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • scoobscoob
    Here is the art on the bottle, a nice 750 ml champagne bottle
    image.jpg
    2560 x 1920 - 843K
    image.jpg
    2560 x 1920 - 683K
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • jlwjlw
    I like the artwork.
  • jlwjlw
    I tried bulk aging my saison last year and it was not as good as the fresh version. I found a bottle of the fresh version (1 year old) and drank side by side with the bulk aged saison and the fresh was way better.
  • scoobscoob
    jlw said:

I like the artwork.

Thanks, it's simply a pic of the road to our family cottage, with the cottage visible through the trees, the photo was tweaked into a painting type Image with photoshop and used that way.

And the cottage house saison was born!

This is the same road that I think of when I see the December pic in the calendar we all were sent.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • C_BC_B
    Convert to a partial mash? What is you constraint? What is different in the process that you can't/don't want to mash all that grain? Do you want no base malt in grain only some in grain?
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • scoobscoob
    C_dubbs said:

Convert to a partial mash? What is you constraint? What is different in the process that you can't/don't want to mash all that grain? Do you want no base malt in grain only some in grain?

Maybe extract with steeping grains? And a full specialty grain mash with extract for the base grain, then he can mash whatever ratio of the base grain he wants and then use extract to finish up the grainbill
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • C_BC_B
    azscoob said:

C_dubbs said:

Maybe extract with steeping grains? And a full specialty grain mash with extract for the base grain, then he can mash whatever ratio of the base grain he wants and then use extract to finish up the grainbill

I think the actual partial mash is the easiest to convert. Just replace the 2 row with DME until you get the ratio you want. Using this thread to figure out the math based on your efficiency. For example... 1 pound of DME (1.044 ppg) should equal roughly 1.6 lbs pounds of 2 row (1.036ppg at 75% eff.)
    Wheat malt can be scaled the same way.

70.8 8.50 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
    12.5 1.50 lbs. White Wheat Belgium 1.040 3
    4.2 0.50 lbs. CaraMunich Malt Belgium 1.033 75
    4.2 0.50 lbs. Flaked Oats America 1.033 2
    8.3 1.00 lbs. Honey 1.042 0

I do not have any experience with converting to an all extract with steeping grains. Your efficiency will be different and the sugars you get out of the steeped grains are going to be largely unfermentable so the actual ratios of the steeped grains should be cut back. I'll refer this one to @ceannt.
  • ceanntceannt
    The caramunich can just be steeped .. but the oats should be mashed to get much out of them .... I would mash 2 pounds of base malt ... the oats and the caramunich ..and add enough extract late to make up the difference ... say 4.06 pounds (note : I did the math in my head ... so double check it!)
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

The caramunich can just be steeped .. but the oats should be mashed to get much out of them .... I would mash 2 pounds of base malt ... the oats and the caramunich ..and add enough extract late to make up the difference ... say 4.06 pounds (note : I did the math in my head ... so double check it!)

Did the math in your head out to the hundredth... Nice.
  • ceanntceannt
    C_dubbs said:

ceannt said:

Did the math in your head out to the hundredth... Nice.

After a few you start to remember .... I was more concerned with the pounds ....
  • ceanntceannt
    Oh .... forgot the wheat .... a pound of wheat extract is close enough ....
  • ceanntceannt
    I wouldn't put any wheat in the mash .... with the oats it would be a mess ....
  • ThymThym
    ceannt said:

I wouldn't put any wheat in the mash .... with the oats it would be a mess ....

agreed.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny