15 gallon or 20 gallon BK?
  • jlwjlw
    I was surfing around ebay and discovered that a 20 gal BK isn't really that much more expensive than a 15 gal. So should I get the 20 just in case I ever need that capacity? Or is 15 sufficient.

here is the 20 gal

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Gallon-Pro-Quality-Stainless-Steel-Brew-Kettle-Home-Brewing-/110888543759?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d178e60f
  • ThymThym
    Honestly, I think 15 gallon kettles are popular because they can be made from a standard keg. Otherwise, I'd say larger is better, within reason. The only real trade off on kettle size is bigger kettles have more sirface area, more surface area means more boil off.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Your ultimate batch size will be limited by all your vessels too right? Bigger boil kettle means bigger MLT and maybe HLT. I make 5g batches in a 15.5g kettle, so what do I know.
  • jlwjlw
    Benvarine said:

Your ultimate batch size will be limited by all your vessels too right? Bigger boil kettle means bigger MLT and maybe HLT. I make 5g batches in a 15.5g kettle, so what do I know.

your absolutely right. I'm trying to think of future brewing too. Right now I would make 10 gal/15 gal batches and split among three fermenters.
  • jlwjlw
    still along way from being able to brew 1 barrel
  • jlwjlw
    with a 20 gal BK I could do 15 gallon batches?
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I think so, just be careful as always. Ferm cap helps, even in my setup.
  • jlwjlw
    I think I would need a bigger MT and better burner eventually
  • ThymThym
    I've done 12 gal in my keggle. You could do a ful 15 in a 20. As ben said gotta watch boil over. I've never used ferm cap, but other have with success.
  • ThymThym
    jlw said:

One step at a time and you'll get there.
  • jlwjlw
    Lakewood said:

jlw said:

yeah...that's kind of the plan
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    always go bigger. always.
  • C_BC_B

always go bigger. always.

This. You'll need a new burner though? You could still do a 10 gallon batch of something big then make a low abv 15 gallon batch with the same MLT.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • jlwjlw
    I think my burner would do fine in a 10 gal batch. To do 5 I only have turned in about 1/2. Then one day I could upgrade.
  • C_BC_B
    jlw said:

I think my burner would do fine in a 10 gal batch. To do 5 I only have turned in about 1/2. Then one day I could upgrade.

What kind of burner?
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • jlwjlw
    I don't know. Some turkey fryer I got years ago. It works like a champ though.
  • ThymThym
    jlw said:

Lakewood said:

jlw said:

yeah...that's kind of the plan

If you know what you want in the end, then you are less likely to buy something that will have to get replaced along the way.
  • jlwjlw
    When it comes to this kind if stuff inwouldnrather spend a little more now and not have to replace in 5 or 10 years. Or less.
  • ThymThym
    jlw said:

When it comes to this kind if stuff inwouldnrather spend a little more now and not have to replace in 5 or 10 years. Or less.

Same here. So if you want to plan on doing 15 gallon batches in the future then the 20 gal bk is definitely the way to go.