humulone and colds
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/key-ingredient-beer-may-help-treat-common-cold-191958969.html
    the above article states that some study, sponsored by Sapporo, has found that hops have a combative effect of the cold virus.
    then it states that it would take 30 beers to have that effect.

that got me thinking though, increase IBU's~~~increased humulone~~~~increased resistance

Sapporo has 24 ibu's, so if you were drinking 100 ibu beer, you would need 7.5 beers
    its hard to drink 7.5 beers that are 100 ibu's, but i doubt you would need that many.
    see, if the dosage was higher, then you would need less overall because it would steamroll into your system (the way hard liquor tends to do)

my verdict, if you have a cold, drink 3 pints of 100+ IBU beer and call me in the morning.
    i mean.....you need fluids anyway......
  • ceanntceannt
    Surprises me that a brewer that avoids anything resembling a "hop profile" like the plague would sponser such a study ....
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    I have always found that a good "slap yo mamma" IPA is great for sinus congestion
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    it cures what ales ya!
  • ceanntceannt
    Oh....instead of calling you in the morning ... how 'bout I drunk dial your wife after I drink it and sleep in?
  • ThymThym
    Hops are the cure to everything.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ThymThym
    hmmm... so i drank a lot of not very hoppy ale yesterday, now i have sinus congestion... coincidence?
  • ThymThym
    so i drank copious amounts of hop tea (a good 2oz of palisade in an espresso maker) yesterday to combat the cold.

while i still awoke with a ridiculous amount of sinus congestion, and general felt crappy most of the day, i seem to be recovering quicker than i would have expected...
  • ThymThym
    i think im going to make another glass of hop tea tonight before bed.. just in case its working.

plus, with a little sugar it's actually pretty good.
  • ThymThym
    Hop chocolate -
    2tsp cocoa powder
    2tsp sugar
    Fill with hop espresso
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

Hop chocolate -
    2tsp cocoa powder
    2tsp sugar