• frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    let's talk about this beer.
    i have tried it for the third time now, because every one said i was getting bad batches. one of those batches was bad, because it was gross, but the other two times i bought this it just tasted like a mediocre IPA.
    not huge hop flavor, not much aroma, you can taste the malt. it goes against everything i have heard people talk about this beer. it reminds me of a Lagunitas IPA, regular though, not Maximus. the way many talk about it though, it's up there with two hearted.
    i find it has considerably less hop flavor than two hearted, and is sweeter.

so tell me, what beer do you think this is comparable too? i had thought i just wasn't getting fresh stuff, but if JLW is getting fresh stuff in virginia, than certainly mine is just as new.

exlplain yo'selves!
  • ThymThym
    it's not ultra dry, in your face hoppy like Stone IPA or Ruination. If that's what you're looking for then you should probably just buy Stone IPA or Ruination...

Racer 5 has a little more malt back in it, and hop profile is more bitter than flavor or aroma.

I dont like saying something is like this beer or that... Racer 5 stands on it's own.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    then dipshits need to keep things like this off their website....

"Very hoppy, like a forbidden forest of hops. Yum"
    granted, this was from beer advocate.....
  • ThymThym
    i should go pour a glass of it. just to make sure it's still awesome.
  • jlwjlw
    I also think that Racer 5 may have been one of the first really hyoppy beers for its time. Now there are plenty of beers that are over the top (which I love).

I agree with Lake on this one, Racer 5 is a good go to IPA.
  • jlwjlw
    I am getting very fresh IPA's now in VA so i find myself drinking it rarely now. In fact, many of the VA breweries I like are producing very good IPA's that have made me forget about looking for Racer 5, Two Hearted or Stone products.

I would put it in there with Two Hearted, or Lagunitas but I agre with Fry it's probably less hoppy than Two Hearted.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    I think it's meh at best. Maybe there has been great batches, but I've never tasted it. And even so it's too pricey to be only good some of the time... like why I don't buy anything dog fish head makes anymore.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym
    i dont really consider racer 5 to be particularly expensive. not on craft IPA scale anyway.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Lakewood said:

i dont really consider racer 5 to be particularly expensive. not on craft IPA scale anyway.

I suppose, but still more than Sam Adams or Serra Nevada, and about equal in taste.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym
    Taste is pretty subjective when you get down to it, so I won't argue that point. But I'll gladly opt for Racer 5 over either of those beers any day.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    if handed a celebration ale and i racer 5, i will take the celebration and dump out the racer 5 so i have something empty it wizz in.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle

if handed a celebration ale and i racer 5, i will take the celebration and dump out the racer 5 so i have something empty it wizz in.

This all day everyday... it's too bad they don;t make celebration all year.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • C_BC_B
    Meh. I had it last night at Beerfest. I thought it was overly bitter lacked the aroma and hop flavor I expected. I had also destroyed my palate with 8 or 10 other beer ranging from Dragon's Milk to a cranberry cider.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • jlwjlw
    Had this last night night on draft. Such as awesome IPA.
  • C_BC_B
    I'm trying to wrap my head around this. Those of you that like this beer, do you also really like the regular Stone AB? I find that one slightly too bitter also.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • jlwjlw
    Also live stone ipa
  • ThymThym
    C_dubbs said:

I'm trying to wrap my head around this. Those of you that like this beer, do you also really like the regular Stone AB? I find that one slightly too bitter also.

AB? Arrogant Bastard? I like it, but i actually find that too malty for my taste, the hop profile is right on though. I much prefer Ruination or Stone IPA. Ruination is straight up, slap yo mama hoppy.

The oaked Arrogant Bastard is fantastic too. That (to me) cloying malty flavor gets turned into oaky, roasty, chewy deliciousness with the extra aging.
  • jlwjlw
    Lakewood said:

C_dubbs said:

AB? Arrogant Bastard? I like it, but i actually find that too malty for my taste, the hop profile is right on though. I much prefer Ruination or Stone IPA. Ruination is straight up, slap yo mama hoppy.

The oaked Arrogant Bastard is fantastic too. That (to me) cloying malty flavor gets turned into oaky, roasty, chewy deliciousness with the extra aging.

I think Double Bastard is a little less malty at least it seems that way since it's more hoppy.
  • ThymThym
    Yes, had that once, its good.