Simple tap handle DIY.
  • scoobscoob
    So I have a few white labs vials kicking about, what to do with them.... How about making a tap handle for the homebrew made using the yeast in the vial?

The first step is to brew with a vial of white labs yeast, then soak the label off the vial...

Next source a tap ferrule either online or from a tap handle that has lost it's charm...

With tap handle ferrule in hand forage in the garage for a bolt and washer that threads into the ferrule, or skip the digging and head to your local hardware store.

Drill a hole in the center of the cap and bolt the cap to the ferrule.

With the cap bolted to the ferrule, fill your empty vial with a few layers of your favorite grains and screw the cap on the vial.

Lastly, thread the vial/cap/ferrule onto your homebrew tap and feel proud that in a few minutes and with minimal cash outlay you have a sweet tap handle that friends will be impressed with both in appearance as well as performance...

Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ThymThym
    clever. and functional.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • scoobscoob
    I love my tap handles now, not too heavy, and there is a real brewing connection there, the tap shown features the main grains in my English mild...

Nice feel in the hand, and a nice height.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • C_BC_B
    Dang. That is clever clever.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I'm making one this weekend. That's awesome.
  • scoobscoob
    Benvarine said:

Take pics, I would love to see the finished product!

By the way, the labels can be a huge PITA to remove, let it soak a good while in oxyclean, I used a touch of goo gone to remove the last of the adhesive on one that was fighting me.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    That looks like work, don't you have an extra pair of vice-grips?
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    azscoob said:

Benvarine said:

By the way, the labels can be a huge PITA to remove, let it soak a good while in oxyclean, I used a touch of goo gone to remove the last of the adhesive on one that was fighting me.

fyi, cooking spray-canola oil works in a pinch.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • scoobscoob

azscoob said:

Benvarine said:

fyi, cooking spray-canola oil works in a pinch.

Darn good tip, I will try it next one that fights me!
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    yup, i may need to do this too, although it means i will have to buy liquid yeast, worth it though!

since i mainly do ipa's buying the liquid form of S-05 is a waste of money normally.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle

yup, i may need to do this too, although it means i will have to buy liquid yeast, worth it though!

since i mainly do ipa's buying the liquid form of S-05 is a waste of money normally.

I've got an old tube of WLP041 Pacific Ale in the fridge I don't seem to be doing anything with. It's old, but if you baby it in starter, I'm sure there are enough cells to make something... though shipping would be damn close to the price of a new tube.

Also white labs tubes are just pre-inflated 2L bottles. All 2L bottles start out like that, so they are cheap. I've seen some website selling them for "kid's science". I forget where, but they are available.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews

I've got an old tube of WLP041 Pacific Ale in the fridge I don't seem to be doing anything with. It's old, but if you baby it in starter, I'm sure there are enough cells to make something... though shipping would be damn close to the price of a new tube.

Also white labs tubes are just pre-inflated 2L bottles. All 2L bottles start out like that, so they are cheap. I've seen some website selling them for "kid's science". I forget where, but they are available.

good thinking.

for some reason it hadn't occurred to me that we have about 5 million of those (or something very very similar) in the lab at work, and they're even graduated for a more sciency feel!
  • ceanntceannt
    very cool idea
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I used hops.
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 2M
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Looks nice next to the antler handle.
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 2M
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Benvarine said:

but now the plain black one looks shabby. drill out a hockey puck!
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    raccoon penis!!!!
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Yea, I'll work on that, hockey puck and add another tap to include a raccoon penis. I might have to try a baculum instead. Larger bone to grip. Yes, I said gripping bone.
  • ThymThym
    Benvarine said:

Yea, I'll work on that, hockey puck and add another tap to include a raccoon penis. I might have to try a baculum instead. Larger bone to grip. Yes, I said gripping bone.

Tee hee
  • ThymThym

Benvarine said:

but now the plain black one looks shabby. drill out a hockey puck!

This
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle

raccoon penis!!!!

This X 3
    -Some guy in Ohio