Wine bottles and carbonation
  • ThymThym
    This
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    How highly carbed of a cider can I put in wine bottles with normal (not champagne with wire) corks?
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Bump?
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    for some reason i never saw this.

your question doesn't have a perfect answer....sorry.
    if they are kept cold, they can take a fair amount of pressure, but as they warm up, you're boned and they chunk those corks straight out.

general rule, just don't do it. its risky and can easily result in a mess.

buuuuuuuuuuut, if you wanna do it anyway, you should go on the light side, figure half the carb of a regular beer, or petillant level. this is when the bubbles are just there to dance on your tongue a little (insert joke here)

i bottle tons of cider and sparkly wines, but i use 1 liter swingtops. they can hold insanse amount of pressure and look much nicer than a wire topped champagne bottle.
  • C_BC_B
    Oh, I do have some swing tops. I should clean those...

So what you're saying is I should not bottle the graff/cider/apfelwein that I have at 40* on 12 psi into regular wine bottles and store them in my 62* basement.

Well, not unless I put a webcam on it.
  • C_BC_B
    I was pretty sure I couldn't do that, but I wanted someone who should know better to tell me not to.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    C_dubbs said:

Oh, I do have some swing tops. I should clean those...

So what you're saying is I should not bottle the graff/cider/apfelwein that I have at 40* on 12 psi into regular wine bottles and store them in my 62* basement.

Well, not unless I put a webcam on it.

oh yeah, do that, that's a wonderful idea! [-(
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I gave my wife's boss a bottle of mead, this summer (ambient temp over 100F). He left it in his car for a few hours, in the console cup holder, when he got back, it was half full. The other half was all over the inside of his BMW. Off topic, but when you mentioned wine, cider, etc exploding, I thought of this. His only concern, was the remaining half okay to drink.
  • C_BC_B
    Benvarine said:

I gave my wife's boss a bottle of mead, this summer (ambient temp over 100F). He left it in his car for a few hours, in the console cup holder, when he got back, it was half full. The other half was all over the inside of his BMW. Off topic, but when you mentioned wine, cider, etc exploding, I thought of this. His only concern, was the remaining half okay to drink.

Ouch.

• scoobscoob
    Benvarine said:

C_dubbs said:

Benvarine said:

Ouch.

I know! Only half a bottle!
    Jesus didn't wear pants