Beer can chicken
  • jlwjlw
    Olive oil on the outside with cracked pepper, kosher salt and a little garlic powder. Using a black ipa for the beer. Its a beer a friend gave me that sucks as ipa's go.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    did you brine the birdy first?

never used an ipa for this type of thing, was always told (by people i trust) that crappy lagers work best and i have never strayed.

be sure to update!
  • jlwjlw

did you brine the birdy first?

never used an ipa for this type of thing, was always told (by people i trust) that crappy lagers work best and i have never strayed.

be sure to update!

I didn't brine. It was last minute idea by my wife. The only reason I used an ipa is cause it was what I had in a can and this black ipa sucks. So I figured I would use it up for something.
  • ThymThym
    i find cooking with hoppy beers doesn't end well. at least in my experiments, most beer dishes do well with lightly hopped malty beers, or cheapo american lagers. the hop bitterness doesnt seem to pair well with many flavors...
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • jlwjlw
    The chicken turned out great. Lot's of leftovers that we are going to use in chicken tortilla soup. The chicken was completely fall off the bone. I think it would have been better brined but like I mentioned it was a last minute idea so there wasn't time.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lakewood said:

i find cooking with hoppy beers doesn't end well. at least in my experiments, most beer dishes do well with lightly hopped malty beers, or cheapo american lagers. the hop bitterness doesnt seem to pair well with many flavors...

i'd say normally this, but i don't think much of the hop bitterness would get into the meat with beercan chicken.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • jlwjlw

Lakewood said:

i'd say normally this, but i don't think much of the hop bitterness would get into the meat with beercan chicken.

this really wasn't a very hoppy beer.
  • ceanntceannt
    I use Schlitz for beer can chicken .... mixed with cider vinegar and Worcester sauce .....
    And smoke on hickory .... lots of Hungarian paprika involved ....
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ThymThym

Lakewood said:

makes sense since the chicken isn't actually in contact with the beer...

Glad it was yummy. good way to dispose of crappy beer.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny