Going to try and brew an IPA today
  • jlwjlw
    problem is I have been too lazy to make a starter. So I was thinking about doing what @frydogbrew did and just dump it on the yeast cake from my Rye IPA. I used us-05 for the rye.

So you just dump it all on top of the old yeast cake? Don't have to do anything else?
  • ceanntceannt
    Yep .... just dump it on there and stand back ......
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • jlwjlw
    Oh another question. Will the rye beer cause any weird off flavors in the IPA

ceannt
  • ceanntceannt
    Might get a little residual flavor from it depending on how much beer is left in your fermenter .... but probably not enough to notice
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

Might get a little residual flavor from it depending on how much beer is left in your fermenter .... but probably not enough to notice

especially not in an ipa.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ThymThym
    As a general rule you can pitch darker and/or hoppier beers on top of less dark or less hoppy. If you go the other way you will effect either color or flavor.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    yeah, but for real, stand back.

they tend to start fermenting rather explosively.......
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    Lakewood said:

As a general rule you can pitch darker and/or hoppier beers on top of less dark or less hoppy. If you go the other way you will effect either color or flavor.

this is true, but just to test it a little further, the ten gallon batch of IPA i made three weeks ago, 5 gallons of that was pitched on top of my hoppy robust porter, just to compare it to the other 5 gals of regular, new, s-05

i will report my findings.
  • C_BC_B
    Is it an IPA or just a pale ale? Fry will ridicule you endlessly for anything under a thousand IBUs.
    You can use the whole yeast cake or just use a sanitized spoon to scoop some of the yeast off the top of the cake to pitch. The yeast is the lighter creamy looking stuff on top of the cake. This method will help with off flavors from the first beer.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • jlwjlw
    IIPA -103.3 ibu's
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    jlw said:

IIPA -103.3 ibu's

@C_dubbs
    this is how you make a beer.
    pay close attention.
  • jlwjlw

jlw said:

IIPA -103.3 ibu's

@C_dubbs
    this is how you make a beer.
    pay close attention.

of my next 5 beers 3 will be/are IPA's all around 100 ibu's
  • ceanntceannt
    I've only made one over 80... target hops ... it was yummy ...
  • ceanntceannt
    Got one planned for over 100..... early next year ..... with cat piss and pine tar hops even ...
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

Got one planned for over 100..... early next year ..... with cat piss and pine tar hops even ...

don't do it!
  • jlwjlw
    ceannt said:

don't listen to FZ he's the debil. Do it. Do it. Do it.
  • scoobscoob
    Brew the Pliny clone, that should have enough IBU for you.

I think I might brew that one myself...
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • jlwjlw
    azscoob said:

I am going to have to move the Pliny clone into the rotation. Might have to bump something else out. Maybe the esibock.
  • jlwjlw
    Mine started fermenting at least within two hours probably quicker but I forgot to check at the hour mark.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    jlw said:

Mine started fermenting at least within two hours probably quicker but I forgot to check at the hour mark.

if you dump the wort on the cake when the wort is around 90, it'll start in 20 minutes!
  • C_BC_B

jlw said:

if you dump the wort on the cake when the wort is around 90, it'll start in 20 minutes!

If anyone ever stumbles across this looking for advice, don't do it.
  • jlwjlw

jlw said:

I chilled it down to about 75 and dumped. I had a little bit of blow off in the airlock and a little bit in the seperate blow off tube. I have only had one other fermenation like this one where it like builds for a few seconds and then barfs gas in a bunch of bubbles. Builds and does it again. Hell, I may brew another IIPA this weekend just to do it again.

How many times can you reuse like this?
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    jlw said:

jlw said:

I chilled it down to about 75 and dumped. I had a little bit of blow off in the airlock and a little bit in the seperate blow off tube. I have only had one other fermenation like this one where it like builds for a few seconds and then barfs gas in a bunch of bubbles. Builds and does it again. Hell, I may brew another IIPA this weekend just to do it again.

most i have done was 5 times without any noticable effects. could have gone six, but the people on the other site were all "there are mutations, your beer is going to be ruined, blah blah blah."

i was getting all backed up on beer then anyway.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    C_dubbs said:

jlw said:

all you have to do is be prepared....something that, ahem, you seem to be lacking in lately C-to the-dubble.....
  • C_BC_B
    jlw said:

jlw said:

From what I've read, after five or six fermentation you will get a noticeable change in the yeast characteristics as the mutate. I've also read about guys doing ten or twelve batches with no discernible difference. I expect sanitation is the trick.
    Oh, and if you do it more than once.... The better practice is to use a fresh fermenter and scoop some of the yeast over to it. That way you have less flavor from the old batch and get a clean fermenter.
  • C_BC_B

C_dubbs said:

jlw said:

all you have to do is be prepared....something that, ahem, you seem to be lacking in lately C-to the-dubble.....

Be prepared to chill it down from 90 in a ferm chamber? That's a hell of a temp drop before the yeast go bonkers at way too high of a temp.
    EDIT, that came off sarcastic. It was not. I would actually like to know what you mean by prepared, in this case.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

azscoob said:

I am going to have to move the Pliny clone into the rotation. Might have to bump something else out. Maybe the esibock.

not that one! i want to hear how it turns out.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    C_dubbs said:

C_dubbs said:

jlw said:

Be prepared to chill it down from 90 in a ferm chamber? That's a hell of a temp drop before the yeast go bonkers at way too high of a temp.
    EDIT, that came off sarcastic. It was not. I would actually like to know what you mean by prepared, in this case.

your wort is around 90, the yeast cake is nice and cold. after blending it will be a nice temp.
    and by prepared i mean a blow off tube rigged, (rigged well, with lots of room in the bowl for extra deposits through the tube) and that isn't pinched hard by whatever is holding the tube to the side of the bowl.
    i still place a thick towel on top of the grommet coming out of the bucket, just in case it blows the tube out because of a clog or something, it won't spray my ceiling. i also lay a towel around the base of the bucket in case stuff comes out it doesn't get all over the floor.

i have learned to do all this by experience... >:P
  • C_BC_B

C_dubbs said:

C_dubbs said:

jlw said:

your wort is around 90, the yeast cake is nice and cold. after blending it will be a nice temp.

No.
    Isn't the yeast cake already at your target temp? ~1 gallon of 60 degree trub is not going to drop 5.5 gallons of 90 degree wort more than 8-10 degrees (and that's being generous). So you're still at 80+.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    my trub is well below target temp because it is in my basement and sometimes actually in my keezer in case i don't use it that day.
    so sometimes, its at 35 degrees.

i never said it was "right", just that i do it with good results.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    besides, its documented that you can't read a thermometer!
  • C_BC_B
    Let me be clear, I'm not arguing your results. I'm arguing the method. Something is missing. Pitching 90 degree wort on a yeast cake is not a good practice for someone to try without having the ability to cool that wort immediately after pitching. Within an hour or so.
  • C_BC_B

my trub is well below target temp because it is in my basement and sometimes actually in my keezer in case i don't use it that day.
    so sometimes, its at 35 degrees.

i never said it was "right", just that i do it with good results.

Ah. Ok. That needed to be clarified.
  • C_BC_B

besides, its documented that you can't read a thermometer!

Yep.
  • ceanntceannt
    you guys use a thermometer??? I just stick my finger in it.....
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    finger.......that would be a better body part.....
  • C_BC_B

Ha. Eww. Is that how you check your mead? I drank two bottles of that...
  • ceanntceannt
    C_dubbs said:

Ha. Eww. Is that how you check your mead? I drank two bottles of that...

just got coffee on my keyboard on that one........