HLT or Heat Stick?
  • C_BC_B
    This discussion was created from comments split.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

C_dubbs said:

I should install my sight glass in my kettle.

I don't understand why you need a sight glass in a brew kettle...

Because sooner or later it'll be my HLT.
  • C_BC_B
    Oh
    Lakewood said:

On the brew kettle it just seems superfluous.

Yep. And it looks cool too.
  • C_BC_B
    Or maybe my MLT.
  • ThymThym
    C_dubbs said:

Lakewood said:

C_dubbs said:

I should install my sight glass in my kettle.

I don't understand why you need a sight glass in a brew kettle...

Because sooner or later it'll be my MLT.

Ah. That make more sense.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    I figure in the short term I'll go three vessel, 2+ tier. In which case I'll just swap out the dip tube and call it my HLT.
  • C_BC_B
    I say 2+ because I don't really need a full on 3 tier since I have a pump. But I'll have to be able to do at least one drain with gravity...
  • ThymThym
    C_dubbs said:

I say 2+ because I don't really need a full on 3 tier since I have a pump. But I'll have to be able to do at least one drain with gravity...

Why?
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

C_dubbs said:

Why?

Urrybody is doing it? Not really a requirement. I could easily do a single tier with one pump.
  • C_BC_B
    I need another burner though... Or maybe an electric HLT? I wonder what kind of power that takes....
  • C_BC_B
    C_dubbs said:

I need another burner though... Or maybe an electric HLT? I wonder what kind of power that takes....

I don't know. I want it cheap (free) and done right now. Like already here and ready to brew. Like right now.
  • ThymThym
    C_dubbs said:

Lakewood said:

C_dubbs said:

Why?

Urrybody is doing it? Not really a requirement. I could easily do a single tier with one pump.

Just seems more complicated than necesarry.
  • C_BC_B
    Could I wire a water heater element up to a switch and hang it or something (avoid drilling a hole until I know that's what I want) in the HLT? Get it hot enough and shut it off. No need for automation just yet.
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

C_dubbs said:

Lakewood said:

C_dubbs said:

Why?

Yep. Originally I was thinking the HLT would just be a cooler with no heating element. I read somewhere cooler MLTs can only be used in multi-tier systems.
  • ThymThym
    C_dubbs said:

Could I wire a water heater element up to a switch and hang it or something (avoid drilling a hole until I know that's what I want) in the HLT? Get it hot enough and shut it off. No need for automation just yet.

Make a "heat stick" it like that only on a handle with the wires going through the handle so you don't die.
  • C_BC_B
    C_dubbs said:

Lakewood said:

C_dubbs said:

Lakewood said:

C_dubbs said:

Why?

Yep. Originally I was thinking the HLT would just be a cooler with no heating element. I read somewhere cooler MLTs can only be used in multi-tier systems.

Yes I'm being facetious.
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

C_dubbs said:

Make a "heat stick" it like that only on a handle with the wires going through the handle so you don't die.

I've read about that somewhere. Not dying is fun. Can the element just lay on the bottom of the keggle?
  • C_BC_B
    Better question, how much juice do I need to heat 6+ gallons of water to 175*? I would rather do the whole batch at once, but I could easily heat the sparge water while the mash is going.
  • C_BC_B
    Now that I think about it.... Heating the sparge water separate makes more sense. Why heat all that water at once and then have to maintain during the entire mash? Seems wasteful of energy.
  • ThymThym
    C_dubbs said:

Lakewood said:

C_dubbs said:

I've read about that somewhere. Not dying is fun. Can the element just lay on the bottom of the keggle?

Its better if you suspend it a bit so its not touching. Otherwise you will get a hot spot.
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

C_dubbs said:

Lakewood said:

C_dubbs said:

Its better if you suspend it a bit so its not touching. Otherwise you will get a hot spot.

Ah. Well that's easy enough.

• C_BC_B
    Off the top of your head, what do I need to go from the outlet to the element? An extension cord rated for the draw, a switch/breaker, and what else?
  • C_BC_B
    Can it really be that simple? Not likely....
  • ThymThym
    C_dubbs said:

Off the top of your head, what do I need to go from the outlet to the element? An extension cord rated for the draw, a switch/breaker, and what else?

the electrical connection are literally that simple for an on/off type heater. you'll want a 3 or 4-wire 220VAC circuit to plug into. the two hots go to the element terminals. the ground lead needs to connect to the metal wand.

• C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

C_dubbs said:

the electrical connection are literally that simple for an on/off type heater. you'll want a 3 or 4-wire 220VAC circuit to plug into. the two hots go to the element terminals. the ground lead needs to connect to the metal wand.

I have a dryer outlet just inside the window, maybe 15' away.
  • ThymThym
    C_dubbs said:

Lakewood said:

C_dubbs said:

I have a dryer outlet just inside the window, maybe 15' away.

that will work
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Are building an electric brewery, or is this home improvement
  • C_BC_B
    Benvarine said:

Are building an electric brewery, or is this home improvement

Just an electric HLT. For now.
  • ceanntceannt
    Do a full on build thread with lots of pics
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

Do a full on build thread with lots of pics

I will if I actually do it. Seems like an easy way to take the next step.
  • ceanntceannt
    Leave all the mistakes and miss steps in there for others to learn from
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • C_BC_B
    So know I'm thinking I should just go with a full on e-HLT. Not automated, just an element in the keggle. But mounted in from the side. that seems easier to make the connection waterproof and overall reducing the chances of death.
  • C_BC_B
    Plus, it can't cost much more than just a heat stick. All the same components plus a bulkhead fitting for the kettle.
  • ThymThym
    C_dubbs said:

So know I'm thinking I should just go with a full on e-HLT. Not automated, just an element in the keggle. But mounted in from the side. that seems easier to make the connection waterproof and overall reducing the chances of death.

The termination connection is the same.
    I'll post a drawing of a heat stick here later.
  • jlwjlw
    I had a friend build a electric BK out of the hot water heating elements. The only draw back I saw was it took awhile to get to a boil. I guess you don;t need to worry about that though if its just going to be used to heat water.
  • ThymThym
    jlw said:

I had a friend build a electric BK out of the hot water heating elements. The only draw back I saw was it took awhile to get to a boil. I guess you don;t need to worry about that though if its just going to be used to heat water.

Its good for the HLT, boil is a bit too much IMHO.
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

jlw said:

Its good for the HLT, boil is a bit too much IMHO.

For one element yes. If I ever move my rig to the basement I'll boil with electric. But it will be sized accordingly. And have its own subpanel just for the brewery. I think we've discussed this before.
  • C_BC_B
    I think I've petty well talked myself out of a heat stick. I want an element mounted in the HLT. Mount a box to the head of the element to contain the connections and make them separate from any possible leaks. Plus maybe mount a lighted switch there too. No automation, just an on/off switch.

Does this look like the right element? I have a dryer outlet I'm planning to use as the power source. I need to verify whether it is 3 or 4 prong and what the breaker size is first. I assume 40amps.
  • scoobscoob
    I always thought of going electric for the brew rig, but then I can't bring my stuff to a brew out and make some beer,
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    Might do a heat stick setup for the mash, then I can still use my cooler but be able to do a step mash.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • C_BC_B
    azscoob said:

I always thought of going electric for the brew rig, but then I can't bring my stuff to a brew out and make some beer,

That's an interesting point. I don't do that. And I have a generator. But I've never thought about restrictions like that...
  • scoobscoob
    If I went with a rims type setup I could do step mash in the cooler, but still be able to use it as a standard mash tun for brewing at events and whatnot.
    Jesus didn't wear pants