Smoker Tips
  • ThymThym
    This discussion was created from comments split from: How are you making your thanksgiving turkey? Here is mine..
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ThymThym
    azscoob said:

Try injecting the bird with "creole butter" you can find it at your local grocer, I love that stuff for injecting poultry, not spicy, just flavorful.

I love my offset smoker, it was a bit of a learning curve over my old vertical bullet smoker, but I love the results now that I know what I'm doing on it!

i assume 'offset smoker' is similar to the one i just picked up.
  • ThymThym
    i really liked the results i got today doing some simple breasts and dogs.
  • ThymThym
    i had way too much charcoal in there for such a small amount of meat, but i was able to shift coals around and adjust the flue and damper to get exactly what i wanted
  • scoobscoob
    I have a horizontal smoker, with a separate 'offset' fire box on one end. Is this what you have?
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ThymThym
    Sounds like it. Here is mine
    smoker.jpg
    1920 x 2560 - 1M
  • scoobscoob
    Yup, looks similar to mine, I did some of the common mods to mine to improve performance, I lowered the exhaust stack to cooking grate level, shielded the cooking chamber from the firebox with a shield, and added distribution plates to the bottom for more even heating, now it cooks like a dream!
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ThymThym
    that was my 'curing' test run
  • ThymThym
    azscoob said:

Yup, looks similar to mine, I did some of the common mods to mine to improve performance, I lowered the exhaust stack to cooking grate level, shielded the cooking chamber from the firebox with a shield, and added distribution plates to the bottom for more even heating, now it cooks like a dream!

can you post pictures of your mods?

also, why would you want the exhaust stack lower?
  • ThymThym
    the first mod i plan to do is reinforce the little wire shelf under the grill. it's too flimsy to be useful.
  • scoobscoob
    I will snap a few pics soon, the hot smoke is what cooks the meat and adds flavor, most offset smokers have the exhaust port right near the top, so the smoke and heat roll out of the firebox, along the top of the lid and out of the smoker without really getting good smoke flavor or more importantly heat to the food, by lowering the port to grate level, the smoke must build and fill the cooking chamber thus surrounding the food before it can exit through the lowered port. This gets you better flavor, and more even cooking, and is a real simple mod.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    My exhaust port is made from a stainless pipe leftover from an exhaust build, I trimmed it to fit flush with the grate inside, been working great for like nine years or so.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ThymThym
    azscoob said:

I will snap a few pics soon, the hot smoke is what cooks the meat and adds flavor, most offset smokers have the exhaust port right near the top, so the smoke and heat roll out of the firebox, along the top of the lid and out of the smoker without really getting good smoke flavor or more importantly heat to the food, by lowering the port to grate level, the smoke must build and fill the cooking chamber thus surrounding the food before it can exit through the lowered port. This gets you better flavor, and more even cooking, and is a real simple mod.

well, that makes sense, except that in my test run, the chicken cooked to doneness very fast and some of the first pieces were over-smoked, so im wondering if that would be an improvement or if it will make it harder to control. closing the stack damper pretty much filled that barrel with thick smoke and shot the internal temp up to 400 without adding any fuel.
  • ThymThym
    azscoob said:

My exhaust port is made from a stainless pipe leftover from an exhaust build, I trimmed it to fit flush with the grate inside, been working great for like nine years or so.

did you just insert it into the existing stack from underneath?
  • ThymThym
    oh, and my firebox has two level of grates in it. one down at the bottom, and a second set at the mid point. i pulled the upper grates out and just put the charcoal and wood on the lower grate. I dont really understand what the upper grates are for.
  • scoobscoob
    Lakewood said:

azscoob said:

did you just insert it into the existing stack from underneath?

Yup
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    Lakewood said:

oh, and my firebox has two level of grates in it. one down at the bottom, and a second set at the mid point. i pulled the upper grates out and just put the charcoal and wood on the lower grate. I dont really understand what the upper grates are for.

I use the fire box as a small grill quite often, that's what the second grate is for, my smoker also came with a few charcoal grates so I could use the main cooking chamber as a standard grill as well if I wanted.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    Here is an action shot of the firebox used as a small grill.
    2012-02-129518.06.38.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 140K
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ThymThym
    azscoob said:

Lakewood said:

I use the fire box as a small grill quite often, that's what the second grate is for, my smoker also came with a few charcoal grates so I could use the main cooking chamber as a standard grill as well if I wanted.

the upper grates are kinda tough to get into the firebox on mine. doubt i'd want to stick my hand in there after the coals are going. but maybe.

yeah, the main chamber has a long charcoal grate in it. I plan on putting a few pounds of charcoal in there, as well as keeping the firebox humming. I figure with the coals up top i can get a little direct heat if i want to crisp things up a bit.
  • ThymThym
    azscoob said:

didn't show. gotta wait for it to upload
  • ThymThym
    azscoob said:

does your firebox have a pull out drawer for ash removal?
  • scoobscoob
    I was told never to close the exhaust damper, leave it wide open and control the temp with only the air inlet and fire size, by closing the exhaust damper you can get creosote in the meat making it bitter and foul.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    Lakewood said:

azscoob said:

No, mine is a scoop it out when done setup.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ThymThym
    azscoob said:

I was told never to close the exhaust damper, leave it wide open and control the temp with only the air inlet and fire size, by closing the exhaust damper you can get creosote in the meat making it bitter and foul.

yeah, it think that's a risk if you choke the fire. i just shut it about half way and it seemed like the temperature went up a good bit.

but i was just reading a few other places that suggest the same thing you are saying.
  • ThymThym
    azscoob said:

Lakewood said:

azscoob said:

No, mine is a scoop it out when done setup.

same with mine. i'm not sure if the tray thing is a gimmick or if it would really be helpful
  • ThymThym
    i'll look around the house for some piping that i could use to lower the exhaust.

mines mounted a little below the 3/4 point, so it's not like it's sticking straight out of the top
  • ThymThym
    Lakewood said:

i'll look around the house for some piping that i could use to lower the exhaust.

mines mounted a little below the 3/4 point, so it's not like it's sticking straight out of the top

it's probably about 4 inches above the cooking surface
  • scoobscoob
    I'm used to my setup now, I put one fire grate in at an angle, and another one opposite it, this makes for a bigger area below the fire for ashes without choking off the flame, mosly I only use it when smoking brisket or similar food that smokes for an epic long time
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ThymThym
    azscoob said:

I'm used to my setup now, I put one fire grate in at an angle, and another one opposite it, this makes for a bigger area below the fire for ashes without choking off the flame, mosly I only use it when smoking brisket or similar food that smokes for an epic long time

mine seems to have a few inches of space below the grate, i'm thinking that should keep me solid for the 14 hrs i'll be cooking this turkey.
  • ThymThym
    it's a single piece charcoal grate on this one
  • ThymThym
    brisket sounds good. maybe a thanksgiving brisket next to the turkey.
  • scoobscoob
    Here is my model smoker and most of the mods I did we're based on this thread:

http://thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1943&highlight=brinkmann+smoke++pit
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ThymThym
    azscoob said:

Here is my model smoker and most of the mods I did we're based on this thread:

http://thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1943&highlight=brinkmann+smoke++pit

nice. same basic model, different year. i'll probably do a couple of those mods.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    Lakewood said:

azscoob said:

well, that makes sense, except that in my test run, the chicken cooked to doneness very fast and some of the first pieces were over-smoked, so im wondering if that would be an improvement or if it will make it harder to control. closing the stack damper pretty much filled that barrel with thick smoke and shot the internal temp up to 400 without adding any fuel.

yeah, i've seen that mod frequently, but it limits the use of your smoker since you lose some control of the smoke.

to cold smoke you want thin smoke pulled across the meat for a long time. if the pipe is extended down, that becomes very difficult.

also, with everything i have ever hot smoked, smoke has always been rolling out from the lid and any nook and cranny, so the chamber is getting flooded with smoke no matter what.

the longer the smoke is trapped inside, the more creosote, essentially, gets deposited on your meat. you might not taste it everytime, but it will kill you just the same.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    azscoob said:

distribution plates to the bottom for more even heating, now it cooks like a dream!

this is a problem solver for almost all the horizontal smokers that i've ever seen.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • C_BC_B

azscoob said:

distribution plates to the bottom for more even heating, now it cooks like a dream!

this is a problem solver for almost all the horizontal smokers that i've ever seen.

I'm going to need to do this. And a couple other things to my new (cheap cheap) horizontal smoker.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Well, I'm actually not sure whether it is a grill or a smoker. It has a stack like a smoker but no side box. Soooo, small horizontal smoker? That's how I'm going to use it.
  • ThymThym
    CB said:

Well, I'm actually not sure whether it is a grill or a smoker. It has a stack like a smoker but no side box. Soooo, small horizontal smoker? That's how I'm going to use it.

if you piles your coasl to one end and cook on the other it'll work. otherwise it'll just grill.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    CB said:

what brand? does it look like lake's but without the side box? a bunch of them are sold without it, but you can buy it separately.
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

CB said:

if you piles your coasl to one end and cook on the other it'll work. otherwise it'll just grill.

That's what I'm planning. Maybe even some appropriately placed heat shields.
  • C_BC_B

CB said:

what brand? does it look like lake's but without the side box? a bunch of them are sold without it, but you can buy it separately.

Is craptastic a brand?
    It isn't very big, but there still may be a smoker box attachment.
    I thought I had a pick of it closed, bit here's on open.
    IMAG0664.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 703K
  • ThymThym
    CB said:

Lakewood said:

CB said:

That's what I'm planning. Maybe even some appropriately placed heat shields.

yeah, if yours is even close to the size mine is, you only really need one grate to do a single turkey. mine has three grates. one has never even been inside the thing yet.
  • ThymThym
    i made a tester chicken yesterday. came out fantastic. about 3.5 hours - which is almost exactly 1 hr / lb of chicken.

probably used a few pounds of lump charcoal and 1 lb of hickory and mesquite mixed together.
  • ThymThym
    my wife actually said she liked it. she usually complains about everything. so that was a win.
  • ThymThym
  • C_BC_B
    That looks epic good. I read up today and was so drooling when you and scoob were talking about it.
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

i made a tester chicken yesterday. came out fantastic. about 3.5 hours - which is almost exactly 1 hr / lb of chicken.

probably used a few pounds of lump charcoal and 1 lb of hickory and mesquite mixed together.

I need to run a couple tests. Smaller chickens and stuff.
  • ThymThym
    CB said:

That looks epic good. I read up today and was so drooling when you and scoob were talking about it.

i ate the last wing and thigh that was left when i got home tonight. it was easily as good cold as it was hot. different, but just as good.
  • ThymThym
    CB said:

Lakewood said:

I need to run a couple tests. Smaller chickens and stuff.

yeah, this was a 3.5 lb young chicken. quick to brine and smoke. well worth it to get a feel for the smoker.
  • ThymThym
    i was contemplating doing another one tomorrow, but i think i'm ok without. i feel pretty comfortable that i know what worked well and what could be improved process wise from the test run last night.
  • scoobscoob
    Lakewood said:

i was contemplating doing another one tomorrow, but i think i'm ok without. i feel pretty comfortable that i know what worked well and what could be improved process wise from the test run last night.

I hate to open the smoker, but when I didn't have the heat diffuser and whatnot, I had to rotate the turkey midway through cooking to keep it cooking evenly..
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    CB said:

CB said:

Is craptastic a brand?
    It isn't very big, but there still may be a smoker box attachment.
    I thought I had a pick of it closed, bit here's on open.

looks the same as all the other cheap (under $300 8-| ) brands. you should be able to find an add on firebox.
  • jlwjlw
    I prefer to punch my cigars versus cut.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

less wrapper falls off that way.
  • C_BC_B
    azscoob said:

Lakewood said:

I hate to open the smoker, but when I didn't have the heat diffuser and whatnot, I had to rotate the turkey midway through cooking to keep it cooking evenly..

What did you use as a heat diffuser?
  • ThymThym
    jlw said:

I can go either way. I used to punch them, but a quality cigar won't fall apart when you cut it. Not that I smoke quality cigars as a rule, just sayin'. Oh and a vee cut is probably the best compromise in my opinion.
  • ThymThym
    Here's the turkey day setup, dual temp probes, one in the breast, one measuring smoker ambient at the grate level.
    IMG-20121122-00129.jpg
    2560 x 1920 - 1M
  • ThymThym
    Got her cookin.
    IMG-20121122-00132.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 282K
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    nothin in the drip pan? toss in something in there!
  • ThymThym

nothin in the drip pan? toss in something in there!

Yeah I put something there right after the pic.