Quick and Easy Pre-chiller
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    I was in a bit of a rush on my last brew day and had to settle for not quite optimal pitching temps. That was the final kick in the pants that I needed to finally start thinking about a good design for a pre-chiller. I've never really liked the ideas that i've seen build alreay. The chamber type builds that hold ice and let water flow over it work fine, until all the ice melts, so I wasn't really into that idea. You usually need to disassemble them to refill it, so you also halt the chilling process while doing so.

The other ones i've seen involve a length of hose or copper tube immersed in an ice bath before it goes to the wort. I don't like that idea. It seems like you wouldn't get a good transfer of heat unless you had a really big cooler and a looong line to run through it. It just seems like a bulky mess and a good deal of $ for something that awkward.

I started to rethink the chamber idea, but it would need to be much larger than your standard pvc tube filled with ice. That's when the duh moment happened. I already have a bunch of large, water-tight containers that are meant for liquid transfer. Kegs!

You can fill it with ice, run water through it and swap them out in no time at all with the quick disconnects.

Here's what I've come up with so far. The cost was about $5 in fittings (I already had the kegs and qd's). It only took about 1 minute to shove it all together. The test run should happen next week sometime, as I'll need to stop and grab a bag of ice to use.

The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Here's the components, already sorta assembled. You'll need a garden hose connector, a couple reducer connections and some tubing. (i'd really like to get some high temp tubing, but i already had the vinyl, so i'm rolling with that for now).
    Apart from that, you hopefully already have the keg, qc's and chiller to attach it to.

DSC00399.JPG
    2592 x 1944 - 1M
    DSC00400.JPG
    2592 x 1944 - 1M
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    And here it is fully assembled. I'd like to solder a threaded fitting on the chiller, but for now, I'll just jam the tube onto it and hold it with a worm clamp.

The cool water flows in through the OUT post, up through the ice and out to the chiller through the gas in post. This configuration is important, because as we all know, ice floats. As the ice melts, the area that it effectively cools becomes smaller, but the top of the keg remains the coolest area.
    DSC00402.JPG
    2592 x 1944 - 1M
  • scoobscoob
    Great idea there!
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    azscoob said:

Great idea there!

yep, the best part is that when the ice melts, just pop off the qd's and hook up another ice filled keg.
  • scoobscoob
    I don't know how it would work out here though, I would need to run it through two or more kegs of ice to get the temps down because my hose water is so hot year round
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    azscoob said:

I don't know how it would work out here though, I would need to run it through two or more kegs of ice to get the temps down because my hose water is so hot year round

dry ice?
  • scoobscoob
    Maybe if I run a few kegs in series...
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    That should do the trick
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    Just loop from one keg into the next one
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    azscoob said:

I could chill wort in no time with a few hooked together and chicago winter water temps.
  • scoobscoob

azscoob said:

I could chill wort in no time with a few hooked together and chicago winter water temps.

My winter water temp is about 80 degrees
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    I would need several kegs for summer use
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    Use your idea to cool the water for a counterflow chiller, I think that is my plan of attack
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ThymThym
    this is a perfect example of how to make the most out of what you already have. I love it.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny