Olde Ceannt’s Holiday Hybrid Hooch
  • ceanntceannt
    (original recipe)

3-gallons unfiltered apple juice (straight from the orchard)
    3-pounds LME
    3-pounds Honey
    1.5-pound Crystal Malt 60
    0.50-oz EKG Hops, 15-min. (optional, I suggest leaving out)
    S-05-yeast (going to try with S-04)

At bottling add:
    ½-tsp cinnamon
    ¼-tsp cloves
    ¼- tsp nutmeg
    (add to boiling water, and run through coffee filter)

Steep the crystal malt for 45 minutes at 155 degrees in 2-quarts of water. Sparge once with 1-quart at 170 degrees. Boil the runnings for half an hour, then add the LME and boil for an additional 15 minutes. Allow to cool to less than 120 degrees and add the honey. Pour into fermenter and add the apple juice. Allow to ferment in Primary for 2-3 months.
    Age for at least a year after bottling.
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    what kinda LME?

also, this sounds like poison, but i'm still gonna make some.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ceanntceannt
    Hah.... just plain ole "light" LME
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ok, good. i think i'll try to use the amber lme and skip the mash all together. that would make it much quicker, and bring the booze levels back into the mortal realm.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    well, almost.
  • ceanntceannt
    Long as you get a good bit of residual sweetness out of the amber you'll do ok.... otherwise this stuff gets really really dry ...
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

Long as you get a good bit of residual sweetness out of the amber you'll do ok.... otherwise this stuff gets really really dry ...

i've never had an over attenuation problem with lme. especially if you pour it into the bottom of the pot and let it sit for a few minutes before stirring it up.
  • C_BC_B

ceannt said:

i've never had an over attenuation problem with lme. especially if you pour it into the bottom of the pot and let it sit for a few minutes before stirring it up.

Interesting.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ok, i picked up some lme for this, should maybe brew it tomorrow or sunday.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    not a fan of cinnamon and clove, though. i was thinking more like throw in a vanilla bean with the nutmeg and maybe a few star anise?

i also have allspice and anise seed. thoughts?
  • C_BC_B
    I'm not sure about all that other stuff, but I like vanilla in most things. A hint of it here seems like a good idea.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ceanntceannt
    Actually given some thought to ginger in this
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

nooooooooooooooooooooooo!

but only because i hate ginger. it would probably fit nicely.
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

nooooooooooooooooooooooo!

but only because i hate ginger. it would probably fit nicely.

Hah!
    It would fit ...
    The stuff I normally put in is so little ... you really don't taste it ... but Pick it up in the aroma ....
  • scoobscoob
    And yet another thing to add to the 'to do' list....
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    What is the total volume of this? It looks like around 3-4 gallons. Is that right?
  • ceanntceannt
    Benvarine said:

What is the total volume of this? It looks like around 3-4 gallons. Is that right?

Yeah... just a little under 4 gallons
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    5 gallon Carboy still good. No issue with the head space? What is the ABV? Do you use 12, 22 or wine bottles to age? It sounds great, I think I may try, just wanted some more details.
  • ceanntceannt
    I use a 6 gallon carboy .... puts out a huge krausen ..... huge.
  • ceanntceannt
    Apv is between 11 and 11.5 depending on the apple juice .... I just put it in beer bottles
  • ceanntceannt
    Krausen is weird too ... stratifies into darker and almost white layers ... looks like a pumpkin roll
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    what's the carb level on this? still, low, or fizzy?
  • ceanntceannt
    I do it still .... but might be good with a little fizz
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

I do it still .... but might be good with a little fizz

i like bubbles, so i'll probably go medium carb. that way if i want less i'll pour a little aggressively.
  • ThymThym
    light fizz sounds good with this one.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • FuzzyFuzzy

not a fan of cinnamon and clove, though. i was thinking more like throw in a vanilla bean with the nutmeg and maybe a few star anise?

i also have allspice and anise seed. thoughts?

too late for thoughts. it's done. been on tap for three weeks now.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    so far, not a fan. maybe with another 6 months or so, it would come around but i don't think i'll ever love it.

it's the spices. i should have omitted them, especially since i don't like any kind of spiced beverage.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    under the spice flavor (which is subtle), this is a tasty beverage.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    The good news is that the wife likes it!

The bad news is that it's deceptively strong.

Which is actually good news (for me).

can you say panty dropper?
  • ceanntceannt
    It typically takes a year to really get good
  • ceanntceannt
    Two years is even better ....
    And yes it is deceptively strong ...........
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

It typically takes a year to really get good

i'm going to bottle some up for extended aging.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    but it's keeping the wife away from my beer and making her pliable to my sinister will, so i'll let her have most of the keg.

;)
  • ceanntceannt

but it's keeping the wife away from my beer and making her pliable to my sinister will, so i'll let her have most of the keg.

;)

Ha!
    Sounds like you need to start another batch!
  • ceanntceannt
    Oh.... and you're welcome ;)
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

;)

Ha!

ceannt said:

way cheaper than jewelry!
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

;)

Ha!

ceannt said:

way cheaper than jewelry!

And probably more effective in the long term
  • ThymThym
    Yay, more kids.
  • ceanntceannt
    Lakewood said:

Yay, more kids.

Great.... now I'm going to start being blamed for overpopulation...
  • ceanntceannt
    So... I told a buddy Fz's story with this....
  • ceanntceannt
    After he was finished laughing... he suggested that I rename this concoction "Panty Dropper"
  • ceanntceannt
    Since I never really named it... I just may
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    here's the french translation (from the internets, so i don't know if it's true.)

compte-gouttes de culotte

sounds classy!
  • ceanntceannt

here's the french translation (from the internets, so i don't know if it's true.)

sounds classy!

Classy? Sounds more like the sounds you utter after imbibing way too much .....
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

sounds classy!

Classy? Sounds more like the sounds you utter after imbibing way too much .....

oh, i thought you already knew! French is just latin spoken after several bottles of fine wine.
  • ceanntceannt
    Too funny
  • ceanntceannt
    so... won't be long till the nice folks at the orchard have fresh pressed apple juice!!!! I am all a twitter with anticipation...

This years batch will contain amber LME... no steeped crystal grains and no hops...
  • ceanntceannt
    with luck it will not take as long to age out
  • ceanntceannt
    I now am in possession of everything I need except the apple juice... I picked up a "sample" gallon last week-end at the orchard to check it out.... it is spectacular this year!!!! Very much looking forward to starting it!
  • ceanntceannt
    OH.... I also on a whim... decided to try out S-33 yeast on this batch... it is supposed to be able to handle high alcohol levels...
    I have one of the small packets of K1V in the fridge too.... thinking about mixing????
    Any thoughts on this hare-brained idea??????????
  • ThymThym
    ceannt said:

OH.... I also on a whim... decided to try out S-33 yeast on this batch... it is supposed to be able to handle high alcohol levels...
    I have one of the small packets of K1V in the fridge too.... thinking about mixing????
    Any thoughts on this hare-brained idea??????????

I don't really have any experience with those yeasts. But generally the high alcohol tolerance ones are a little hotter and more estery, so I would use the K1V to start thena when fermentation slows, add the S-33 to finish it off.
  • ceanntceannt
    The only other time I used S-33 was in a fairly big beer and it finished pretty clean .... but it wasn't near this big .....
  • ceanntceannt
    I will take your suggestion under consideration
  • ceanntceannt
    OK ... so I just used the S-33 ......
  • ceanntceannt
    ******WARNING *******

This is a very vigorous yeast ..... rig up a blowoff tube if you use it for this stuff ...
  • ceanntceannt
    Or you will wake up to this
    20131028_065225.jpg
    2560 x 1920 - 985K
  • ThymThym
    ceannt said:

YOUR FERMENTER FELL OVER??
  • ceanntceannt
    Lakewood said:

ceannt said:

YOUR FERMENTER FELL OVER??

aaahhhhhh!
    no goofball
  • scoobscoob
    Really need to make this stuff
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ceanntceannt
    I need to take a gravity sample of my latest batch.... see where it is.
  • ceanntceannt
    thinking of racking this batch, there are a bunch of solids. I'll let it settle out in a clean carboy, for a bit before I bottle