“Ex Inferis” Baltic Porter Specialty Beer
  • ceanntceannt
    Number 3 in the “Trilogy of Darkness” series.

A former co-worker gave me a challenge… to brew three beers with the following constraints:
    Completely different from each other, must be an Ale, dark in color, fairly big (must be well over 7% apv), late addition Noble hops, no “weird” ingredients, must have something about them that is “out of style”. (his exact words were “throw the style guidelines out the window”)…. And “evil”… (whatever the heck that is supposed to mean…)

No.1 was “Apocalypse Ale” a Dark/strong Belgian Ale.
    no. 2 was “Debacle” a Dopplebock Ale.
    Both of these were resounding successes according to my Buddy…. I really liked them too.

I kicked around several ideas for this one. …. Even a “Black IPA” (I hate that term btw)… even gave a lot of thought to a Russian Imperial Stout…. But a Baltic Porter kept sneaking into my head and haunting me… then after trying jlw’s chocolate peppermint version… OK… I’m hooked now. I did a little tweaking around with his grain bill to fit my concept better… and here is what I have come up with.

SUMMARY

(Original Gravity) O.G. = 1.089
    (Final Gravity) F.G. = 1.022
    (Bitterness) IBU = 37
    (Color) SRM = 34
    (Alcohol) APV = 8.6%
    Calories per 12-oz bottle = 289

Grain:
    Pounds: Type:

10 Pale malt

3 Munich Malt

1 Crystal Malt 60

1 Vienna Malt

1 Oats, flaked

0.5 Chocolate Malt

0.5 Chocolate Wheat Malt

Hops:
    Variety: Oz.: Boil Time:

Perle 1 60

Spalt 2 5

Going to mash at 156 at 1.2 quarts per pound. Boil the first runnings for 10 minutes or so. 20-minute first sparge rest. 15-minute second sparge rest.
    I will add 2.5 ounces of Heavy toast American Oak cubes 2 weeks prior to bottling. Primary only fermentation for 5-weeks.
    Right now I am thinking of S-04 for yeast…. I think a little fruitiness would go well with it, it is a real beast with bigger beers like this, and it is different from the other two beers in the series…. It’s also “out of style”…. Anyway, this beer is “on deck” for my next batch.
    So…. What do you guys think? Is it “evil” enough?
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    Oh.... here is the label... gotta have a label...

Ex-Inferis.jpg
    405 x 555 - 26K
  • jlwjlw
    That looks really good.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    looks tasty but what's evil about it?
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ceanntceannt
    jlw said:

That looks really good.

I sure hope so.... this beer has a lot to live up to...
  • ceanntceannt

Since "evil" was never defined ... I'm hoping the late hops and oak will qualify .... I would throw some roasted jalepenos in it ... but that would disqualify due to weird ingredients
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    i was going to suggest just a hint of smoked malt, but i figured that might fit 'weird ingredients'.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    and now i want to brew a smoked porter. dang it!
  • ceanntceannt
    I had considered an ounce of peat smoked malt ... but figured with the oak it would be too much going on
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    mmmm, oak.
  • jlwjlw
    ceannt said:

I had considered an ounce of peat smoked malt ... but figured with the oak it would be too much going on

the oaked wee I gave you has french oak chips.
  • ThymThym

I agree, not evil enough. But sounds good.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    I think its great. Simple enough too. I'm not sure about the evil thing. How is a beer supposed to be evil?
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • jlwjlw
    CB said:

I think its great. Simple enough too. I'm not sure about the evil thing. How is a beer supposed to be evil?

Well...if you only saw the pagan rituals ceannt does during the making of these beers. Rumor has it there may be blood sacrifices. Spoooooky
  • ThymThym
    jlw said:

CB said:

Well...if you only saw the pagan rituals ceannt does during the making of these beers. Rumor has it there may be blood sacrifices. Spoooooky

that definitely ups the evil factor.

BTW - I'm curious as to the purpose behind the chocolate wheat malt in this brew. why not just stick with chocolate malt, or maybe a touch of roasted barley?
  • ceanntceannt
    jlw said:

CB said:

Yeah .... I guess I didn't go into that part of the process ..... the Pentagram inscribed around the boil kettle ... the incantations uttered whilst stirring .... the small goat sacrificed with a bronze knife .... the virgins dancing naked around the mash tun .... I tend to ... uh.... gloss over that part ....
  • ceanntceannt
    Lakewood said:

jlw said:

CB said:

BTW - I'm curious as to the purpose behind the chocolate wheat malt in this brew. why not just stick thewith chocolate malt, or maybe a touch of roasted barley?

The chocolate wheat malt not only adds roasted character it adds a lot of aroma to a beer that is difficult to achieve any other way .... an intense wheat malt aroma and a softer roast ... I don't use it a lot, but I like what it does to a big dark beer
  • ThymThym
    ceannt said:

Lakewood said:

jlw said:

CB said:

BTW - I'm curious as to the purpose behind the chocolate wheat malt in this brew. why not just stick thewith chocolate malt, or maybe a touch of roasted barley?

The chocolate wheat malt not only adds roasted character it adds a lot of aroma to a beer that is difficult to achieve any other way .... an intense wheat malt aroma and a softer roast ... I don't use it a lot, but I like what it does to a big dark beer

I was asking because I thought the wheat character to be a bit out of place with the remainder of the grain bill. But that's coming from someone who uses a touch of wheat in almost everything so hippocrasy be damned.

Carry on then.
  • ceanntceannt
    Lakewood said:

ceannt said:

Lakewood said:

jlw said:

CB said:

I was asking because I thought the wheat character to be a bit out of place with the remainder of the grain bill. But that's coming from someone who uses a touch of wheat in almost everything so hippocrasy be damned.

Carry on then.

sounds strange I know.... but it really adds a lot to a big darker beer with some roasted character to it... boosts the heck out the complexity without being weird or "too much"
  • ceanntceannt
    Ok... update time...
    This was bottled last night. I soaked 2.5 ounces of American "heavy toast" oak chips in bourbon and put them in the fermenter for a week and a half.
    at bottling this beer tasted awesome... very smooth... roasted character is pronounced but not a bit astringent or burnt.... very much like dark chocolate, has almost a Dopplebock richness to it, Cain't wait to see how it is after a little age.
  • ThymThym
    Ooooooooooooooo
  • jlwjlw
    Oh damn this sounds freaking good.
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    I know I am late in the story. However, reading about whether or not to add some smoked malt in there, and how it may not work well with the oak, I have an idea!

In the deep dark corners of my LHBS's grain room, I noticed a bag labeled Oak Smoked Wheat Malt, which I did not know was a thing, haha. It is smoked, but smoked over oak, which might actually work with the oak chips? I dunno, never used the stuff, so I cannot say for certain. Thought just popped in my head.

This beer does sound amazing though!
    Amigo, lay them raises down.
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    I also really like the name!

• ThymThym
    @ceannt this is a done deal right? Bottled it last night or something?

@evan_b i've never seen oak smoked malt either, do you know who the maltster was?
  • Evan_BEvan_B

I believe it was Weyermann

• ThymThym
    Evan_B said:

I'll have to see if my LHBS has any of that around. I'll buy a little just to taste it.
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

I'll have to see if my LHBS has any of that around. I'll buy a little just to taste it.

I was thinking the same thing. Or making a small batch of a smoked porter with it (well all my batches are small, but even smaller than normal).
  • ceanntceannt
    Lakewood said:

@ceannt this is a done deal right? Bottled it last night or something?

@evan_b i've never seen oak smoked malt either, do you know who the maltster was?

Yep .... all bottled
  • ThymThym
    Evan_B said:

Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

I was thinking the same thing. Or making a small batch of a smoked porter with it (well all my batches are small, but even smaller than normal).

a thimble full?
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

a thimble full?

Child's play. Now doing a thimble sized decoction mash, that could get interesting.
  • ThymThym
    Evan_B said:

Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

a thimble full?

Child's play. Now doing a thimble sized decoction mash, that could get interesting.

HA!