Irish Red partial mash
  • C_BC_B
    I want to brew @ceannt 's Traditional Irish Red in a 10 gallon batch but I don't want to have to build my new MLT yet. So here is a bastard PM recipe that keeps my grain bill under 13 lbs to fit in my current 5 gallon MLT. I could actually fit 15 pounds I think if I mashed thick.

Malt & Fermentables
    % LB OZ °L PPG
    52% 10 8 Golden Promise Mash 2° 32
    39% 7 14 Extra Light Dry Extract Late Boil 3° 44
    4% 0 14 Crystal 60L Mash 60° 34
    4% 0 12 Crystal 20L Mash 20° 34
    2% 0 6 Roasted Barley - 550L Mash 550° 34
    13lbs grain

Specific Gravity
    1.065 OG
    15.9° Plato
    1.018 FG

Hops
    Usage Time OZ AA » IBU
    boil 60 min 2 East Kent Goldings ~ pellet 5.8 » 20.6
    boil 5 min 1 Fuggles ~ pellet 4.3 » 1.5

Bitterness
    22.2 IBU

I'm new at recipe formulation. I can't really look at a grain bill and know what it should taste like. And I'm completely guessing at the extract sub for GP. What is the best sub for GP? Is there one really?

Thoughts, tweaks, concerns appreciated.

"On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ceanntceannt
    Believe it or not I developed a partial mash version of mine...... I think it just used plain old light extract .... let me look at my notes ... and I will let you know monday morning
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • C_BC_B
    My concern is the what will be lost with extract over Golden Promise. Since it isn't a 100% sub, I suppose it might be ok. But I really just don't know anything about recipe formulation/adjustment.
  • ceanntceannt
    Max out your mash tun with all the specialty grains ... and as much GP as will fit .... make up the difference with plain extract to get your O.G.
  • ceanntceannt
    Mash a couple degrees higher ... to make up for the greater attenuation of the extract
  • ceanntceannt
    Boil your first runnings .... do a 20 minute sparge rest .... you will loose a little flavor ... but if you follow the above ... and "squeeze" as much flavor as possible out of what you mash ... it will be good
  • ceanntceannt
    Oh.... add the extract late ... 15 minutes left in the boil
  • C_BC_B
    Boiling the first running.... Just bring to a boil and shut off or boil until I add the second and third runnings?

• ceanntceannt
    SeaBee said:

Boiling the first running.... Just bring to a boil and shut off or boil until I add the second and third runnings?

Just let it boil for 5 minutes or so ... and shut it off ... just enough to break
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

SeaBee said:

Just let it boil for 5 minutes or so ... and shut it off ... just enough to break

Done and done.
  • C_BC_B
    I'm going to try to plan this for my next off week. That would be 4 weeks from now. With that small of a mash I can still heat strike and sparge water on the stove this time. If @Lakewood would like to send me components of this recipe instead of a complete kit this time, I'm fine with that. My brew days don't come very often.
  • C_BC_B
    Whatever yup have on hand you'd like to get rid of.
  • ThymThym
    I'll pull some stuff together for you and send it your way next week.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Eff it, I'm going to try to brew Sunday...
  • C_BC_B
    $65 isn't bad for a 10 gallon batch in this case I don't think. AG would be better. And bulk purchased grain better yet. But still. I didn't notice the box till I was half way home...
    IMAG0672.jpg
    1440 x 2560 - 433K
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    woohoo, brewing!
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • jlwjlw
    fwiw his IRA is freaking incredible.
  • ThymThym
    Cool, so the lhbs wasn't too bad? Good news there
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

The guy is a Whatevs, but the prices aren't terrible and he has a huge selection.
  • ThymThym
    CB said:

Lakewood said:

The guy is a Whatevs, but the prices aren't terrible and he has a huge selection.

Sounds like a win to me
  • C_BC_B
    @ceannt any last minute thoughts? Planning to brew this tomorrow afternoon, weather permitting.
  • C_BC_B
    I tweaked to this.

Malt & Fermentables
    % LB OZ °L PPG
    52% 11 0 Golden Promise Mash 2° 32
    13.125 lbs grain

Hops
    Usage Time OZ AA » IBU

What the crap? With this exact recipe at 75% eff, Hopville gives me 1.066 OG and BrewTarget gives me 1.053. Why are they so different? I need to do this crap by hand on paper. That way I'll know I'm right, cuz I did it...
  • ThymThym
    given that you are donig a late boil addition of the DME, your hop utilization numbers could be off, depending if the software you are using can take that into account.
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

given that you are doing a late boil addition of the DME, your hop utilization numbers could be off, depending if the software you are using can take that into account.

But hop utilization doesn't effect gravity, right? Gravity effects hop utilization, but that's a one way street?
  • ThymThym
    CB said:

Lakewood said:

given that you are doing a late boil addition of the DME, your hop utilization numbers could be off, depending if the software you are using can take that into account.

But hop utilization doesn't effect gravity, right? Gravity effects hop utilization, but that's a one way street?

yes, gravity effects hop utilization, not the other way around. i wasn't really trying to answer the question of why the software were giving different OG readings. just trying to point out another area of potential concern with the use of some of the tools out there.

the OG discrepancy comes down to a couple things, efficiency, gravity potential and volume. if one software is expecting a brewhouse efficiency and the other is a mash efficiency you could have a problem there. if they are using different gravity potentials for the same grain, you could have a problem there, and if the final volumes are different, you could have a problem there.

you should start from the end of my list and work backwards.
  • ceanntceannt
    The software may also be figuring your mash efficiency for the extract..... this will artificially yield lower gravity on the computer screen....
    Do it by hand...
  • ceanntceannt
    and figure your boil volume for hop utilization pre-extract.... most software will not let you do this... why I made my own.
  • ceanntceannt
    PM me your e-mail, and I'll send it to you if you want to give it a try
  • ThymThym
    You can do that with my spreadsheet as well, add the extract as a postboil addition for the calculations.
  • C_BC_B
    Heating strike water.....
  • ceanntceannt
    CB said:

Heating strike water.....

Sweet!
  • ThymThym
    Yay!
  • C_BC_B
    So we hit a bit of a warm snap and the basement is not a cool as I would like. both buckets are sitting on 68*. I pitched S-04. What temp do you normally ferment this @ceannt ?
  • ceanntceannt
    CB said:

So we hit a bit of a warm snap and the basement is not a cool as I would like. both buckets are sitting on 68*. I pitched S-04. What temp do you normally ferment this @ceannt ?

It will be fine .... upper 60s are good .... just remember to rouse the yeast gently ever other day and leave in primary for at least 4 weeks
  • C_BC_B
    I checked it last night. Basically no airlock activity and the temp is down to 66. I swirled. Hopefully it didn't ferment too hot. I'm sure it'll be fine.
  • ceanntceannt
    CB said:

I checked it last night. Basically no airlock activity and the temp is down to 66. I swirled. Hopefully it didn't ferment too hot. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Should be ... S-04 goes fast and slows down to almost nothing .... swirl every other day for 3 weeks before you take it off the yeast
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

CB said:

Should be ... S-04 goes fast and slows down to almost nothing .... swirl every other day for 3 weeks before you take it off the yeast

That makes me feel better. I've never used S-04.
  • ceanntceannt
    CB said:

ceannt said:

CB said:

That makes me feel better. I've never used S-04.

Pretty much my favorite yeast .... cleans up after itself well
  • C_BC_B
    CB said:

I tweaked to this.

Malt & Fermentables
    % LB OZ °L PPG
    13.0 lbs grain

Hops
    Usage Time OZ AA » IBU

What the crap? With this exact recipe at 75% eff, Hopville gives me 1.066 OG and BrewTarget gives me 1.053. Why are they so different? I need to do this crap by hand on paper. That way I'll know I'm right, cuz I did it...

I need a little help here. I'm still relying on the software (Hopville, Lake's and Ceannt's) so I don't know for sure what is (the most) correct. And since this was a late addition PM the pre and post boil SGs are a bit whacky.
    With the above grainbill I had the following...
    1st runnings, 23.1 brix, 2.5 gallons
    2nd runnings, 13.2 brix, 2.25 gallons
    3rd runnings, I forgot to note this?????, 2.25 gallons
    Preboil was 9.2 brix at 12 gallons. I added 5 gallons of mountain spring water after I boiled the first runnings for a couple minutes.
    At 15 minutes remaining, I added 8lbs, 2 oz DME

Postboil SG of 17.4 brix @10 gallons.

So what was my efficiency of the mashed part of the batch? Can that be backed into without knowing the 3rd runnings SG?
  • ThymThym
    CB said:

CB said:

I tweaked to this.

Malt & Fermentables
    % LB OZ °L PPG
    13.0 lbs grain

Hops
    Usage Time OZ AA » IBU

I need a little help here. I'm still relying on the software (Hopville, Lake's and Ceannt's) so I don't know for sure what is (the most) correct. And since this was a late addition PM the pre and post boil SGs are a bit whacky.
    With the above grainbill I had the following...
    1st runnings, 23.1 brix, 2.5 gallons
    2nd runnings, 13.2 brix, 2.25 gallons
    3rd runnings, I forgot to note this?????, 2.25 gallons
    Preboil was 9.2 brix at 12 gallons. I added 5 gallons of mountain spring water after I boiled the first runnings for a couple minutes.
    At 15 minutes remaining, I added 8lbs, 2 oz DME

Postboil SG of 17.4 brix @10 gallons.

So what was my efficiency of the mashed part of the batch? Can that be backed into without knowing the 3rd runnings SG?

the individual runnings dont matter. just take the preboil gravity and volume to determine the mash efficiency.
  • C_BC_B
    Right, but I added 5 gallons of make up water before taking preboil sample. I think. So 9.2 brix at 12 gallons equals what at 7 gallons?
  • C_BC_B
    CB said:

Right, but I added 5 gallons of make up water before taking preboil sample. I think. So 9.2 brix at 12 gallons equals what at 7 gallons?

15.4/1.063 brix/SG at 7 gallons.

Ha, ok I'm a tard... efficency can be figured on 7 gallons or 12 gallons. The larger volume is just diluted more. Thanks for pointing that out no one.
    Either way, this calculator puts me at 93% efficiency. I find that dang hard to believe, but I haven't disproved it yet....
  • ThymThym
    CB said:

CB said:

15.4/1.063 brix/SG at 7 gallons.

Ha, ok I'm a tard... efficency can be figured on 7 gallons or 12 gallons. The larger volume is just diluted more. Thanks for pointing that out no one.
    Either way, this calculator puts me at 93% efficiency. I find that dang hard to believe, but I haven't disproved it yet....

it depend on what they are using for the potential gravity from the grains in the grain bill. my spreadsheet shows you what values i use. i factor mash efficiency into the the grain bill and estimated gravity.
  • C_BC_B
    So... I kegged this Sunday. Both buckets had a FG of 1.019. That seems epic high. I roused the yeast every couple days and stuff. And the temp was in the low 60s consistently after the first couple days. I'll check my notes, but I think I may have mashed a bit warm. Like 152 for the first 30 minutes, then I added a little hot water to bring it up and shot it up to 157 for the last 30 minutes (if memory serves). The gravity sample tasted pretty good.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_dubbs said:

The gravity sample tasted pretty good.

that's all that counts.
  • ThymThym

C_dubbs said:

that's all that counts.

while this is totally true. 1.019 is pretty GD high for an FG.
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

C_dubbs said:

that's all that counts.

Exactly what I thought.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lakewood said:

C_dubbs said:

that's all that counts.

sho nuff. i assumed it was a false reading if it tasted good.
  • ceanntceannt
    Mine normally ends up around 1.014 to 1.016..... but its all grain
  • ThymThym
    ceannt said:

My ales usually come in between 011 and 013.

But I use dry ale yeasts and mash low and long.
  • ceanntceannt
    Lakewood said:

ceannt said:

So do I on occasion .... when I'm doing a Belgian ....
    Do that to an IRA .... and you end up with Killian's ....
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

Lakewood said:

ceannt said:

So do I on occasion .... when I'm doing a Belgian ....
    Do that to an IRA .... and you end up with Killian's ....

ewwww.
  • ceanntceannt
    So...... how did it turn out?????????????????????????
  • C_BC_B
    Just tapped the first keg last night. It had only been in the fridge for 24 hours, but on gas for 10 days. Still cloudy and a little bite from the gas. But pretty good. I drank about two or three good swallows before Lucas spilled the rest on the couch/floor. I was chapped and didn't get a refill. I'm hoping a couple days in the fridge will clear it up a bit.
  • C_BC_B
    I am really bad at tasting notes. Really. Bad. Still hazy, but that was expected since this was the first batch I used a pump. I don't really expect it to ever really clear up. Still tastes just a bit yeasty? I think that will fade quickly. Overall, good malt flavor, and it doesn't finish as sweet as I was afraid given the 1.019 FG.
  • C_BC_B
    This Irish red ale is interesting. I'm getting fruity esters? Clearly I need fermentation control, but I can't put my finger on what flavor this is. I don't know. Fruit? Maybe a dab of apple? I can't say. I think it may be the obscene FG sweetness that is making me think fruit. The malt is definitely there. I would not call this beer thin or dry. I think that may be the problem. I mashed high for at least 30 minutes. Like 157* high.
  • C_BC_B
    So this finished with a high FG. I've been doing a little reading across the interwebs and found that maybe adding a little bourbon soaked oak might balance out the sweetness. It isn't really sweet, just a little too much. I've almost blown through the first keg so it can't be too bad... I'm thinking about hanging some oak in the other keg while it is still conditioning before I take it to the kegorator in a couple weeks. What about medium toast and a couple ounces of bourbon. Just enough to take the edge off the sweetness. Maybe heavy toast and no bourbon?
    I'm not sure.... I'm just trying to do something to alter this second keg.
  • C_BC_B
    I found these.... Any thoughts?
  • ThymThym
    C_dubbs said:

Yum?
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

C_dubbs said:

Yum?

That's sorta what I thought.
  • ThymThym
    Seems like a nice experiment, give it a try.
  • ceanntceannt
    C_dubbs said:

I was looking at that my self a couple weeks ago... sounds really good
  • C_BC_B
    Ordered. I'm trying it. Should be here Mondayish.

So here's a question.... Does temp affect the oak? Will I have different effects or different amounts of time to reach the same effect at 65* vs 35*? I'm thinking about hanging the oak in a bag in the keg per Scoob's method when I put this keg in the kegorator.
    I could also just toss it in the keg for two weeks and then pull it. Thoughts?
  • C_BC_B
    Soooo...... I added 1/2tsp of Jim Beam Bourbon (I know, it's cheap, but it works well for mixing) to roughly 18 oz of this beer. I think that is the right amount to get a nice bourbon flavor to come through. I'm going to add the bourbon oak chips, but I'll probably go ahead and add a little bourbon too.

Bourbon.
  • ThymThym
    Bourbon.
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

Bourbon.

Right?
  • ceanntceannt
    Bourbon
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_dubbs said:

Soooo...... I added 1/2tsp of Jim Beam Bourbon (I know, it's cheap, but it works well for mixing) to roughly 18 oz of this beer. I think that is the right amount to get a nice bourbon flavor to come through. I'm going to add the bourbon oak chips, but I'll probably go ahead and add a little bourbon too.

Bourbon.

plus, when you drink it, you feel pretty GD important!

C_BThym
  • C_BC_B
    C_dubbs said:

Added 2.5oz. The keg is carbed and just tonight placed in the kegerator. I'll check it in 7ish days.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_dubbs said:

C_dubbs said:

Added 2.5oz. The keg is carbed and just tonight placed in the kegerator. I'll check it in 7ish days.

check it in 5, the chips are faster than cubes. more surface area and whatnot.
  • C_BC_B

C_dubbs said:

C_dubbs said:

check it in 5, the chips are faster than cubes. more surface area and whatnot.

Good call. These are finely cut chips.
  • C_BC_B
    Day 5.

The smoothness of the bourbon is coming out. I'm getting just a hint of oak. With a beer this sweet in the future I will use a heavy toast oak and add the bourbon separate. I'm going to leave it for another day or two then pull the chips and add a bit of bourbon.
  • C_BC_B
    Day 7. Tastes like day 5? I'm not sure the oak has changed. I'm not sure of anything. But after sampling my sample I added 1/2 tsp to the remaining 14oz in my glass. I'm not getting much bourbon, but maybe just a little.
  • C_BC_B
    That puts me at adding 3.05oz of bourbon to the remaining 4 gallons. I'll prolly just round that up to 3.5oz since I'm sure it's a bit over 4 gallons. I might go with a full 4oz depending on how much (if any) bourbon comes out of the chips. So far not much.
  • ThymThym
    Sometimes when you are expecting a flavor you percieve it differently than what you would if you were just drinking the beer.
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

Sometimes when you are expecting a flavor you percieve it differently than what you would if you were just drinking the beer.

Fact.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lakewood said:

expectations most certainly affect perceptions, and much more drastically than most people believe.
  • ThymThym

Lakewood said:

expectations most certainly affect perceptions, and much more drastically than most people believe.

Yes. So you could think you are adding a subtle amount of this or that, and end up with 'smack yo mama' flava
  • C_BC_B
    Pulled the oak and dropped 3.5 oz of Jim Beam in 3.5-4 gallons of beer left on the keg.