Off Flavors
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Brewed the orange blossom kolsh again. Day two the air lock blew off, forgot to use blow off tube. I cleaned, reattached and hoped for the best. Kegged last night and tasted. Has an alcohol taste, sort of cidery. Not great, and nothing like the last batch. This one is much more clear however. There was a layer of fine sediment on the bottom and another layer of larger sediment on that. Sort of like little round, tube like sediment. Weird. What do you think? Infected? I put on gas to see what happens.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    infection, maybe. but you'd have to wait for a while and see if the off flavor gets any worse. right now it could just be the product of a ferment that was a little too aggressive.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I used a starter and fermented at 66F. I was looking for cooler, but last time it was warmer.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    the beer itself was at 66 or the ambient temp?
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    The carboy thermometer read 66. It was in my converted fridge ferm chamber.
  • ceanntceannt
    How long did you leave it in Primary?
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • jlwjlw

infection, maybe. but you'd have to wait for a while and see if the off flavor gets any worse. right now it could just be the product of a ferment that was a little too aggressive.

I wouldn't jump to infection just yet. It may just take a little longer for the flavors to meld. Age heals a lot of mistakes in brewing. I wouldn't worry. Also if your carboy thermometer read 66* I would guess actual fermentation temps were a little higher.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    ceannt said:

How long did you leave it in Primary?

I'm too lazy to go get my notes now, but between three-four weeks. Only in primary, I gave up racking. I started at 1.062, finished at 1.010.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    jlw said:

I wouldn't jump to infection just yet. It may just take a little longer for the flavors to meld. Age heals a lot of mistakes in brewing. I wouldn't worry. Also if your carboy thermometer read 66* I would guess actual fermentation temps were a little higher.

My concern with that is the last time I brewed it I didn't have these flavored at kegging. All was the same except for the blown air lock.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    jlw said:

My concern with that is the last time I brewed it I didn't have these flavored at kegging. All was the same except for the blown air lock.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    the clarity of the beer, while by no means definitive, makes me feel much less inclined to think infection. *most* infections have the opposite effect on the clarity.
  • ThymThym

the clarity of the beer, while by no means definitive, makes me feel much less inclined to think infection. *most* infections have the opposite effect on the clarity.

This was my thought as well. Of course you can bottle it and send it all to me just to be safe.

In all seriousness, blown airlock and hot alcohol flavors are indicators of a hot/fast ferment, not really of an infection.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    The last time I brewed it, I think it was warmer, but I could be wrong. It was before I had a chamber.
  • ThymThym
    Benvarine said:

The last time I brewed it, I think it was warmer, but I could be wrong. It was before I had a chamber.

There are lots of factors that play into the fermentation pace. A larger O2 load or nutrient balance could make the yeast work faster and create more waste heat than the last go.
  • jlwjlw
    Benvarine said:

are you using a thermowell and temp controller? If not you may want to look into the investment.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I've heard on an episode on the BN, the difference between the tape thermometer and a thermowell is around 0.5F. Seems pretty minute.
  • jlwjlw
    Benvarine said:

I've heard on an episode on the BN, the difference between the tape thermometer and a thermowell is around 0.5F. Seems pretty minute.

interesting. I have read it can vary by degrees.
  • ThymThym
    jlw said:

Benvarine said:

It's gonna depend on the size/shape of the ferm vessel but I would think it could be a degree or two during peak fermentation. The difference between the air temp in the chamber and the wort temp could be a lot more than that. I'd put money on 5 degrees easy during peak fermentation.
  • jlwjlw
    Lakewood said:

jlw said:

Benvarine said:

It's gonna depend on the size/shape of the ferm vessel but I would think it could be a degree or two during peak fermentation. The difference between the air temp in the chamber and the wort temp could be a lot more than that. I'd put money on 5 degrees easy during peak fermentation.

this is what I'm thinking as well. @lakewood we should do a study with folks that use temp control and a thermowell and record actual versus ambient.
  • ThymThym
    @everyone (wouldn't it be cool if that worked) who has a thermowell in their fermenters around here?
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    @everyone

what is a thermowell?
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    During peak ferment, the wort/beer is churning like crazy. I would think the temp is pretty consistent throughout.
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

@everyone (wouldn't it be cool if that worked) who has a thermowell in their fermenters around here?

That would rock. And I don't, but I will with a ferm chamber.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Benvarine said:

During peak ferment, the wort/beer is churning like crazy. I would think the temp is pretty consistent throughout.

Well sure. But a crystal strip thermometer on the OUTSIDE of the fermenter would vary from the exact center of the vessel. How much is arguable. I expect up to 5 degrees. But I smell an experiment.....
  • jlwjlw

@everyone

what is a thermowell?

Thermowell is a stainless tube you drop into the wort then a temp probe inside of it that is connected to you temp controller. So your ferm chamber is maintaining a temp based on the temp of the fermenting beer not ambient.
  • jlwjlw
    I'm going to start keeping data on both temps starting with next beer.
  • C_BC_B
    jlw said:

I'm going to start keeping data on both temps starting with next beer.

This would be great.
  • ThymThym
    Benvarine said:

funny thing is, the reason its churning like hell is mostly due to convection currents caused by the thermal difference between the interior fluid and the fluid at the walls where it is being cooled.... that's why it's rising in the middle and sinking along the walls of the fermenter. the bigger the temp difference, the faster it moves. so when its going crazy, it's usually a pretty big temp delta.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    If you use a thermowell, would you be dropping a thermometer inside to read the internal temp? The ambient temp in this experiment does not matter as much. We want to know if the interior temp is different than the exterior temp. Right? I don't have a thermowell. Usually you put the temp controller probe inside, but in this case would that tell us what we need to know?
  • ThymThym
    Benvarine said:

If you use a thermowell, would you be dropping a thermometer inside to read the internal temp? The ambient temp in this experiment does not matter as much. We want to know if the interior temp is different than the exterior temp. Right? I don't have a thermowell. Usually you put the temp controller probe inside, but in this case would that tell us what we need to know?

thermowell just keeps the probe from getting wet (most probes are thermocouples and getting wet, especially in a high electrolyte fluid, will trash any readings) it's basically just a tube with one end closed that sticks down into the middle of the fermenter.. but getting a thermometer into the center of the fermenting wort, no matter how yo do it, will provide good results.

make sure you calibrate the thermometer on the outside and inside with at least one data point to ensure they are reading the same.

i like the idea of tracking the three readings since it will answer more questions.
  • LothosLothos
    Benvarine said:

Brewed the orange blossom kolsh again. Day two the air lock blew off, forgot to use blow off tube. I cleaned, reattached and hoped for the best. Kegged last night and tasted. Has an alcohol taste, sort of cidery. Not great, and nothing like the last batch. This one is much more clear however. There was a layer of fine sediment on the bottom and another layer of larger sediment on that. Sort of like little round, tube like sediment. Weird. What do you think? Infected? I put on gas to see what happens.

did you add the vodka to the batch or more than 3 ozs of orange zest to the primary?
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • scoobscoob
    I don't have a thermowell, I insulate the temp probe from ambient temp and secure it to the side of the fermenter.

I do monitor chamber temp though, the set temp is 60 on my APA, it isn't unusual to see chamber temps of 52-55 degrees when I have checked
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Lothos said:

Benvarine said:

did you add the vodka to the batch or more than 3 ozs of orange zest to the primary?

I added only the orange zest, no vodka. I didn't weigh it, it is a small amount.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    azscoob said:

I don't have a thermowell, I insulate the temp probe from ambient temp and secure it to the side of the fermenter.

I do monitor chamber temp though, the set temp is 60 on my APA, it isn't unusual to see chamber temps of 52-55 degrees when I have checked

I tape my temp controller to the Carboy, but only use the actual temp on the controller as a reference. I use a combination of the crystal Carboy thermometer tape and a thermometer next to the Carboy as a reference and guide to control my analog Johnson control.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I tasted the Kolsh tonight. Good stuff. A couple days seemed to change a lot. A week ago it was undrinkable.
  • ThymThym
    Awesome!
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    Benvarine said:

I tasted the Kolsh tonight. Good stuff. A couple days seemed to change a lot. A week ago it was undrinkable.

perfect timing!!
  • jlwjlw
    Good to hear!
  • ceanntceannt
    Time is a beers best friend .... kind of like girls and distance ...
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Benvarine said:

and in time for the party, good news!
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    i'll try to get some of my infection thread together tonight. it'll hopefully clear up a little of this type of confusion.
  • jlwjlw

i'll try to get some of my infection thread together tonight. it'll hopefully clear up a little of this type of confusion.

We don't care about what happened to you in college.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

your wife seemed pretty concerned when she found out. B-)
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews

jlw said:

your wife seemed pretty concerned when she found out. B-)

well played!!