Fresh Orchard Juice or Store Bought?
  • jlwjlw
    Is there any difference? I read through the guide and I didn't see much of a difference other than the amount of time it takes from "brew day" to glass. Is there a taste difference?

Also, I have finally figured out what my wife doesn't like a bout beer. It's the yeast or the fermentation process that produces what she describes as a beer taste. So if I were to make an cider that she would use what type of yeast would I try?
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    the main difference is body.
    store bought juice generally comes up lacking in body and tastes thin. when you're not in the season for fresh juice, use store bought, but during the fall, always go for fresh juice.

yeast is personal preference. i still think one of the best is S-04, a beer yeast. never had anyone say it had anything remotely like a beer taste though

if you don't want to use beer yeast, something like Lalvin d-47, montrachet, or good old champagne yeast will work fine. my biggest complaint about champagne yeast is that it works so fast, it blows many of the delicate phenols through the airlock. they will come back, but it requires longer aging. (this is similar to mead)

another important note, wine yeast has much much lower temperature range than beer. down as low as 48 and most of them still work great, just a little slower.
  • ceanntceannt
    All I have ever used is straight from the orchard .... local apples ... has a lot of suspended solids .. but it all settles out .. I am a bit afraid of preservatives and such in the store bought
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

All I have ever used is straight from the orchard .... local apples ... has a lot of suspended solids .. but it all settles out .. I am a bit afraid of preservatives and such in the store bought

it's usually just ascorbic acid. the yeast don't seem to mind it much.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    citric, sometimes malic, none matter in the least and actually help improve the body slightly.
    potassium sorbate and things like that are the problems.
    as i have said for decades, acid is good.

scoob
  • scoobscoob

citric, sometimes malic, none matter in the least and actually help improve the body slightly.
    potassium sorbate and things like that are the problems.
    as i have said for decades, acid is good.

Heeeey-oooooh!!!
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    This has been a question of mine, there are some small orchards up north here, but the charge for their juice and cider as if it were the sweat from a 19 year old virgins loins.

I think store bought is my best option price wise
    Jesus didn't wear pants