Easy smoking recipes?
  • C_BC_B
    I'm new to smokin'. What's easy to do? Is any one meat simpler than another? I want to do some of FZ's hot peppers for sure. I'd like to maybe do something more of a main course for my son's birthday party next weekend. But pretty much everything in my freezer is for something other than smoking... Crockpot and stuff.

Suggestions on a simple "recipe" would be appreciated.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • scoobscoob
    how about some smoked pork chops? Simple to make, don't take forever to cook either.

You could do some yardbird too, not much simpler than smoked chicken! Buy the chicken quarters instead of whole fryers, not much more effort than grilling chicken. Simply brine the chicken overnight in cold water, salt, garlic, and other seasoning to your liking, rinse, season with some rub, then smoke at 225-250 for a few hours.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • C_BC_B
    That sounds pretty easy. I do have some chops, but I like the chicken idea. Smoke until then chicken hits the correct internal temp? When do I know it's done?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    brined, smoked chicken is delicious. i coulda sworn i posted a recipe somewhere, but now i can't find it.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    huzzah! found it. super easy and very yummy.

http://homebrewforums.net/discussion/64/savory-smoked-chicken#Item_1
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    the brine is great as is. as for the rub, you can use that one or change it up completely, the options are unlimited.
  • ceanntceannt
    Chickens are good .....
    I like to soak em in beer ... some cider vinegar and a touch of olive oil.... oh... worchestershire sauce too .... a good bit of it ... dry off and rub with ... Hungarian paprika .. onion and garlic powder ... a little dry mustard .. cayenne and thyme ...
    Let sit another 4 hours and smoke over hickory ...
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    Most meat needs a good hour and a half a pound ......
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

Most meat needs a good hour and a half a pound ......

what he said, but only use this as a general guideline. always cook meat to temp, not time, otherwise you run the risk of making jerky.
  • jlwjlw
    A simple pork roast will do nicely as well. IF you're feeling really lazy some of them come pre marinated.
  • C_BC_B
    jlw said:

A simple pork roast will do nicely as well. IF you're feeling really lazy some of them come pre marinated.

I'm lazy. But not quite that lazy.
  • C_BC_B
    Yep. Gonna try this one.

scoob
  • scoobscoob
    SeaBee said:

Yep. Gonna try this one.

Once you get the hang of maintaining your temps, you are gonna be a smokin fool! Then you will start tweaking the brine and rub recipes, BAM! Another new obsession to fret over!
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • C_BC_B
    azscoob said:

SeaBee said:

Yep. Gonna try this one.

Once you get the hang of maintaining your tmps, you are gonna be a smokin fool! Then you will start tweaking the brine and rub recipes, BAM! Another new obsession to fret over!

Great. Just what I need....
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    how big is the smoker?

because if you bought a boneless, whole pork loin, then brine it for 3 days, and then cold smoke it for 2 hours, and then hot smoke it until it hits 150, you will have made a giant tube of the best canadian bacon you will ever imagine.
    i serve it in big slabs of juicy goodness.
    http://ruhlman.com/2011/02/canadian-bacon-brining-basics/
  • ThymThym

how big is the smoker?

because if you bought a boneless, whole pork loin, then brine it for 3 days, and then cold smoke it for 2 hours, and then hot smoke it until it hits 150, you will have made a giant tube of the best canadian bacon you will ever imagine.
    i serve it in big slabs of juicy goodness.
    http://ruhlman.com/2011/02/canadian-bacon-brining-basics/

i like to smoke pork loin. it's fantastic. i brine overnight, never needed to do several days. But i do a bit of a cheater brine where i heat the water up, and super saturate it with salt before pouring it into a big ziplock with the pork. the combo of heat and super saturated salt seems to do the trick pretty fast. throw it in the fridge overnight and rinse the salt solution off in the morning. throw a light dry rub on or put them on naked. both ways are delicious.

The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ceanntceannt
    Pork Loin is one of my favorites..... I make pulled pork from it... takes less than half the time as a Boston Butt... has a lot of flavor... and is fall apart tender
  • jlwjlw
  • ThymThym
    jlw said:

nice...
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny