Double Brew Day tomorrow (today when I wake up) needs some help....
  • flyfisherwesflyfisherwes
    I'm doing a double brew day tomorrow. Actually I'm doing 2 with my buddy simultaneously.... I'm hoping you guys can help with mash temps and lengths and stuff before I actually get to it. ... .

@JLW... So I'm doing your recipe for that India Black Ale. http://www.homebrewforums.net/discussion/54/black-imperial-indian-pale-ale-ag#Item_1 ... I'm going to change up the hop schedule a little I think though.... I want to make it fairly medium body... good for spring summer. I want to lean on the side of dry though...

Time Grams Ounces AA% IBU
    60 59.5 2.10 11.6 = 48.4 Magnum

25 70.3 2.48 12.9 = 44.2 Colombus

1 56.7 2.00 6.6 = 1.1 Cascade
    0.1 14.2 0.5 12.8 = 0.1 Colombus
    uo

93.7 IBUs

I'm going to use US05 dry yeast for this one. 1 pack or 2? what mash temp/length?

That seem ok to all you folks? Please just check the times for the different varietys and the times for the IBU additions... I have to rely on my system for the rest.

Also I'd really like to make a dry stout or another porter or a simple pale ale... no wait forget that I want dry stout or another porter with the ingredients I have because they are a good change from IPAs and PAs that I'm used to....

This is what I have to work with....

HOP AA%
    columbus 12.8
    Magnum 11.6
    Cascade 6.6
    willamette 6
    Tettnanger 4
    Magnum 11.6
    cascade leaf 8.8
    crystal leaf 3.3

Galena 13.2
    Nuggett 12.4
    Colombus 13.3
    Summit 15.5
    Warrior 16
    Willamette 4
    **** I also just realized I have Chinook that I didn't list on here... 11.8%AA 2oz is all I have though..

My malts:

Two Row and Golden Promise
    Marris Otter
    Crystal 60
    Crystal 120
    Vienna
    Aromatic
    Victory
    Unmalted Wheat
    Chocolate
    Rye
    Crystal 10
    Special B

I am planning to use a WLP002 yeast cake from a magic hat #9 clone that was 1.050 OG.

On this one I need all details.

You guys are great. And I'm sorry I didnt follow through with the ESB yet but I just don't want to make 5 gallons of stuff that I am not sure that I will like.....
  • ThymThym
    Too late for me to crank out any recipes tonight. The hop profile on the first should be fine. I tend to lean toward late hops on my india ales, but what you have will taste good too.

As for the stout, i would start with two row, add 25/75 mix of the crystal 60 and 120 until you hit sort of the level of sweetness/body you want (2% thin/dry --- 20% heavy/sweet)
    Use chocolate to get the color, since you dont have and roasted barley or black patent.

Use the malt information here to see how you are fairing in usage. http://wiki.homebrewforums.net/index.php/Malts_/_Grains

Also for this go easy on hops, i would stick to one or two early additions and no more than 30 ibu. It really doesnt matter what you use as you dont want any aroma or flavor hop profile, its just a bit of bitterness.

I feel that 152 for 60 min is the all pupose mash. If you want drier mash lower and slower, if you want more body go hotter and shorter. The duration is always just a guideline, use an iodine test to see when you are done. Mashing hot and letting it go into overtime wont leave you with the body you expected, and mashing low and mashing out before completion will lead to cloudy messy beer and low efficiency.

Night.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • jlwjlw
    Hop schedule looks fine. I would mash the beer around 152* for 60 minutes.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    stout:

6.5# pale malt
    1# unmalted wheat
    .5# oats
    .75# roasted 2 row
    .5#Chocolate malt
    1/2 oz nugget at 60 minutes

mash at around 150-152.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
    jlw said:

Hop schedule looks fine. I would mash the beer around 152* for 60 minutes.

Just out of curiosity, why were most all of the IBUs in your recipe at 60min? I figured for an IPA you'd get a lot towards the middle and late range as well.

stout:

6.5# pale malt
    1# unmalted wheat
    .5# oats
    .75# roasted 2 row
    .5#Chocolate malt

mash at around 150-152.

Is this going to be fairly dry? Seems like oats and wheat would give it quite a bit of mouth feel? I don't really know. If I did it this way what would be an OG target?
    Lakewood said:

Too late for me to crank out any recipes tonight. The hop profile on the first should be fine. I tend to lean toward late hops on my india ales, but what you have will taste good too.

As for the stout, i would start with two row, add 25/75 mix of the crystal 60 and 120 until you hit sort of the level of sweetness/body you want (2% thin/dry --- 20% heavy/sweet)
    Use chocolate to get the color, since you dont have and roasted barley or black patent.

Use the malt information here to see how you are fairing in usage. http://wiki.homebrewforums.net/index.php/Malts_/_Grains

Also for this go easy on hops, i would stick to one or two early additions and no more than 30 ibu. It really doesnt matter what you use as you dont want any aroma or flavor hop profile, its just a bit of bitterness.

I feel that 152 for 60 min is the all pupose mash. If you want drier mash lower and slower, if you want more body go hotter and shorter. The duration is always just a guideline, use an iodine test to see when you are done. Mashing hot and letting it go into overtime wont leave you with the body you expected, and mashing low and mashing out before completion will lead to cloudy messy beer and low efficiency.

Night.

Thanks. This is good info.
  • jlwjlw
    Mashing this at 152 and your target gravity should still be around 1.096.

Lots of your IBU's will come from early hop additions.
  • FuzzyFuzzy

stout:

6.5# pale malt
    1# unmalted wheat
    .5# oats
    .75# roasted 2 row
    .5#Chocolate malt

mash at around 150-152.

Is this going to be fairly dry? Seems like oats and wheat would give it quite a bit of mouth feel? I don't really know. If I did it this way what would be an OG target?

dry refers to the amount of residual sugars, not mouth feel. the oats will aid in getting that rich, creamy head. at 1.2 a # you shouldn't get too creamy of a mouth feel. Og around 1.051
    jlw said:

Mashing this at 152 and your target gravity should still be around 1.096.

Lots of your IBU's will come from early hop additions.

Thanks. I was just wondering why there weren't many late hop additions since it was an "IPA."

stout:

6.5# pale malt
    1# unmalted wheat
    .5# oats
    .75# roasted 2 row
    .5#Chocolate malt

mash at around 150-152.

dry refers to the amount of residual sugars, not mouth feel. the oats will aid in getting that rich, creamy head. at 1.2 a # you shouldn't get too creamy of a mouth feel. Og around 1.051

Thanks. doing this as well today. I might add a very small amount of crystal 120 for a little caramel taste. maybe .25#.
    also how long and at what temp to I toast the 2 row?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    http://barleypopmaker.info/2009/12/08/home-roasting-your-malts/

i'd follow the directions for the chocolate malt, just take it a little further. put them in a skillet over low heat and gradually raise the heat to med-high. keep stirring so none of them burns. 35-45 minutes. You'll have to go by taste and sight to see exactly when it's done.

They say 400f in the oven for 50 minutes for brown malt. you Could go 425F for about 75 minutes to try and get it darker. just make sure to stir it up every couple minutes towards the last 1/4 of the cooking time.
  • jlwjlw
    Late hop additions say at 10 min or under are really all about aroma and smell.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    this thread is way too bipolar, reminds me of my mother in law.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    only with less broken phones.
    Well it all got done yesterday. I bottled 5 gallons, transferred 2 five gallon batches to secondary, and brewed 2 5 gallon batches. All without the help I was supposed to have. It was not fun. I ended up getting help to clean up though.
  • ThymThym

Well it all got done yesterday. I bottled 5 gallons, transferred 2 five gallon batches to secondary, and brewed 2 5 gallon batches. All without the help I was supposed to have. It was not fun. I ended up getting help to clean up though.

Thats the only part where "help" is helpful.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny

i'd follow the directions for the chocolate malt, just take it a little further. put them in a skillet over low heat and gradually raise the heat to med-high. keep stirring so none of them burns. 35-45 minutes. You'll have to go by taste and sight to see exactly when it's done.

They say 400f in the oven for 50 minutes for brown malt. you Could go 425F for about 75 minutes to try and get it darker. just make sure to stir it up every couple minutes towards the last 1/4 of the cooking time.

I did 425 for probably 75 minutes. It smelled like burned popcorn. The wort tasted really great though. It looks good too.. It might end up a little light in color for a stout but it smells and tastes wonderful. I racked onto wlp002 and when I got up this morning it was fermenting wildly. I took it to the basement to slow it down a touch.

The black "IPA" tastes great and smells frickin awesome. It has no choice but to be spectacular. I only got it to about 1.092 though.

scoob
    Thanks for all the help.
  • FuzzyFuzzy

I did 425 for probably 75 minutes. It smelled like burned popcorn. The wort tasted really great though. It looks good too.. It might end up a little light in color for a stout but it smells and tastes wonderful. I racked onto wlp002 and when I got up this morning it was fermenting wildly. I took it to the basement to slow it down a touch.

The black "IPA" tastes great and smells frickin awesome. It has no choice but to be spectacular. I only got it to about 1.092 though.

my latest stout is on the lighter end of the spectrum. it tastes awesome, so i don't care.
  • jlwjlw

Well done. I think your going to love this beer.

scoob
    jlw said:

Well done. I think your going to love this beer.

I think I will too. I think it needs to be called something other than IPA though. maybe IDA or IBA. lol
  • jlwjlw
    Yeah, I renamed to Anthracite Black Ale.
  • The stout was awesome.
  • The black ale is good but not my style so much.
  • The stout was awesome.

I say was because its gone.