chickens and beer
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i know some of you have egg birds....
    @lothos
    @drjerryrigger
    and some others may have some as well.
    i am about to get some birds this weekend and i was curious if i could feed them the spent grain? not as a primary food source, but toss it into the run and use it as scratch or something?

also, i have some really old grain that i never finished using. its mostly 2 row. can i toss that in their run too or does the malting process change something?
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Well first off, I can hook you up with some fertilized eggs. They would be mutts but a mix of good breeds.
    As far as fed, I give them all the layer pellets they want. Just fill a few feeders with them. But then give them "scratch". This is a mix of whole grains (no more than 30% corn, 50% in the winter). I just toss this on the ground in the afternoon, trying to give them just the amount which they will finish. After every brew I just dump my mash tun in the run and don't give them scratch that day.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    They love the brew days. I don't know why, there isn't much left to the malt, but they like a warm meal I guess.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ceanntceannt
    Chickens will eat anything ....
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I don't know crap about chickens except they taste good and they produce some great eggs daily. Cows cannot eat hops, can kill them. Fry I know you aren't all grain, but if you or anyone does, you can't feed spent grains to cows that use hops in the mash. Spent grain good, spent grain with hops, bad.
  • C_BC_B
    Benvarine said:

I don't know crap about chickens except they taste good and they produce some great eggs daily. Cows cannot eat hops, can kill them. Fry I know you aren't all grain, but if you or anyone does, you can't feed spent grains to cows that use hops in the mash. Spent grain good, spent grain with hops, bad.

Really? I know hops are bad for dogs and stuff. But cows too? I bet goats, horses and sheep are off the list. Assuming it's relative to them being ruminants.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants