Single Tier Design and Build Thread
  • jlwjlw
    I think I am getting close to building or buying a single tier system. I would prefer to build but sometimes it's just easier to buy. However, I have a friend that can weld and is an engineer and has volunteered his services to help me build a nice single tier system.

What i am looking for are design or plans that we could look at and get a pieces parts list and price this puppy out.

Any suggestions?
  • C_BC_B
    Have you decided gas or electric? Any automation? Will this be a rolling rig so to brew in the garage/driveway?
    In any case I'm a bit jealous...
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • jlwjlw
    I think I am going to go with gas and yes to rolling. I thin kI will store inthe crawl space under the house as I do not have a basement or a garage.

Not sure on automation yet.
  • ThymThym
    How high is the crawl space?
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    1/2bbl kegs?.... or SS 55gal drums?
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • jlwjlw
    Lakewood said:

I can almost stand up so it is probaby 5 to 51/2 foot tall.
  • jlwjlw

1/2bbl kegs?.... or SS 55gal drums?

I am going to go with the kegs becuase the guy welding the frame for me has kegs he wants to give me.
  • ThymThym
    jlw said:

Lakewood said:

That's one hell of a crawl space. I'd call that more of a duck your head space.

Are you planning on going 3 vessel or 2?
  • jlwjlw
    Lakewood said:

jlw said:

Lakewood said:

I'm thinking three vessel. I have a 10 gallon igloo cooler as my MT so I was thinking of starting off simple to do 10 gallon batches of low to moderate gravity beers. If I could come up with a way to insualte a keg and turn into a MT then I would do that.

I think eventually I might go to RIMS or HERMS but not sure I want the investment up front?

• C_BC_B
    jlw said:

Lakewood said:

jlw said:

Lakewood said:

I'm thinking three vessel. I have a 10 gallon igloo cooler as my MT so I was thinking of starting off simple to do 10 gallon batches of low to moderate gravity beers. If I could come up with a way to insualte a keg and turn into a MT then I would do that.

I think eventually I might go to RIMS or HERMS but not sure I want the investment up front?

This sounds like a great way to start. You know how to hit temps on that system (basically what you use now?) so why mess with it, just put it all together on a rig.

That's a nice place to store it. Maybe get a fitted tarp to keep dust and stuff off in storage? Or use all QDs on the vessels so you can flip them upside-down?

Do you already have pumps? Fly sparge or batch?
  • jlwjlw
    I also want to put big rubber tires on it like the kind on a dolly (the wones filled with air)

I need pumps but I may have a line on at least one with my brewer friend that is quitting.

Good point on storage of the vessels. Need to think through that a little more.
  • C_BC_B
    Big tires are nice.

Custom fitted elastic banded tarp/tarps would rock, but be expensive.... If I build a rig to stay outside I'm going to get a fitted tarp to go clear down almost to the casters and fasten on.

With batch sparge and QDs/camlocks you *could* roll with one pump. At least for now.
  • jlwjlw
    Oh yeah i meant to say early I will batch sparge. i personally think fly is a waste of time for slightly better efficiency. At least that has been my experience.
  • scoobscoob
    I really want to build a rig, thinking of making a two vessel version with my mash tun cooler to keep things simple for now, I have a pump, I just need a plate chiller, any ideas on a decent chiller for little money?
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ThymThym
    azscoob said:

I really want to build a rig, thinking of making a two vessel version with my mash tun cooler to keep things simple for now, I have a pump, I just need a plate chiller, any ideas on a decent chiller for little money?

Keg Cowboy sells a plate chiller for a good price. Otherwise you can build a counterflow chiller for a bit less.
  • scoobscoob
    Lakewood said:

azscoob said:

Keg Cowboy sells a plate chiller for a good price. Otherwise you can build a counterflow chiller for a bit less.

I was thinking counter flow, I have my IC, I could use half of it and make a counter flow chiller, all I would need is a couple fittings and a hose.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • jlwjlw
    azscoob said:

Lakewood said:

azscoob said:

I was thinking counter flow, I have my IC, I could use half of it and make a counter flow chiller, all I would need is a couple fittings and a hose.

I was thinking for doing the same.
  • scoobscoob
    How to thread.... Ready....set.... GO!!!
    Jesus didn't wear pants