Wet Hop IPA - Anyone know how to use this technique?
  • jlwjlw
    My Columbus Hops supplier is ready to harvest and I want to brew my all Columbus Hops IPA again. I would like to do a wet hop beer but I think there are a few changes you need to make in the process.
  • ThymThym
    I don't know that there are process changes. The flavor profile will be a bit different and the measurements will be different since the wet hops wiegh a lot more than dry. I would say use 3 to 4 times as much hops by wieght as you would normally for the beer. Otherwise they are just whole cone hops.

Of course my 3 to 4 times is purely a guesstimate and hopefully @ceannt or another wise brewer can give you a better rule of thumb.

jlw
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Three to four is alright. It can as high as ten times, but hops should be a little dry on the bine before harvesting. It's really not an exact thing, rain, how they were handled, breed of hop all effect it's water content. If you want to really know dry some out in your oven (after weighing them).

jlw
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • jlwjlw
    Lakewood said:

I don't know that there are process changes. The flavor profile will be a bit different and the measurements will be different since the wet hops wiegh a lot more than dry. I would say use 3 to 4 times as much hops by wieght as you would normally for the beer. Otherwise they are just whole cone hops.

Of course my 3 to 4 times is purely a guesstimate and hopefully @ceannt or another wise brewer can give you a better rule of thumb.

I guess when I said process I meant the measurements. I have read some of this on-line before was hoping someone had experience.
  • jlwjlw

Three to four is alright. It can as high as ten times, but hops should be a little dry on the bine before harvesting. It's really not an exact thing, rain, how they were handled, breed of hop all effect it's water content. If you want to really know dry some out in your oven (after weighing them).

Hmmm. This is sounding more like a PITA. I'll talk to the guy and see if he can let me know when they are drying on the vine.

I was hoping to pick one morning and then brew it that same afternoon.
  • ThymThym
    Like jerry suggested you could get a pretty good water content estimate by taking a couple of cones and wieghing them before and after a short oven dry.

It should only take an hour or two at 300degF.

Use the percent weight loss to estimate the multiplication factor for hop increase.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ceanntceannt
    5 X ... seems to be the average ... if you didn't want to go through all the "figerin" out process
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.