Hello all.
  • I Was just invited by a friend, who inspired my homebrewing since last fall. I've made 3 beers, a cider, and now some skeeterpee. Operating out of Providence, RI. I certainly enjoy it. I've made a belgian amber from a kit, an english bitter made with carrots, and my last beer I called the Welgian Baffle: a belgian made with maple syrup, vanilla, and a nice malt body... Happy to discuss... i'm sure i'll have some questions for everyone else on here. Thanks!
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Welcome to the site! there's plenty of knowledgeable folks here who are happy to help with questions or problems.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ThymThym
    Welcome to the site and the obsession of brewing. Look forward to seeing you around.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Carrots... how did that work out?
    Oh and seriously, stop using a secondary. @ceannt will back me up on this and he started brewing the year I was born.... which I think was the the year after you were born... you're early/mid Sep. right?... so I think you know who I am... lot of ellipses.... how about that?...
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • C_BC_B
    Welcome!
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ceanntceannt
    welcome aboard!
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • jlwjlw
    Welcome to the site.
  • BenvarineBenvarine

Carrots... how did that work out?
    Oh and seriously, stop using a secondary. @ceannt will back me up on this and he started brewing the year I was born.... which I think was the the year after you were born... you're early/mid Sep. right?... so I think you know who I am... lot of ellipses.... how about that?...

Welcome. And I also am intrigued by the carrots. I guess, why? What do carrots offer?

And why is racking so bad? I'm working on an IPA now which is my first batch I am not using a secondary. I am trying it out, but what's the justification? Another thread?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    The easy answer is that yeast make a lot of junk when they're fermenting. Once they run out of sugar to eat, they go back and eat up all the undesirable stuff they've spewed into the beer. If you rack off the yeast cake into a secondary, you're effectively cutting the amount of yeast that are present to clean up all those fermentation by-products by a big number.

So, leaving the yeast alone to do their work is the best way to get to a cleaner, tastier beer faster.

jlwC_B
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • jlwjlw
    What FZ said
  • C_BC_B
    What FZ said again. This method also reduces the brewer's stress when you forgot to rack something on a specific date. And I'm a busy guy, so this happens a lot.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ceanntceannt
    yes, what FZ said.... and I will back up doc.... I went over this in my "little things I have learned" thread..... if I wasn't so lazy I'd give a link.....
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • scoobscoob
    Welcome to the forum! There are endless variations in the brewing process that you can follow, or choose not to follow, if you are unsure of what to do, send up a flare here by posting a "Gads help me! I think I effed up bad what should I do?" type post and we can help you out, if we are baffled as well, then we all blaze a new path together and see what happens!
    Jesus didn't wear pants