• FuzzyFuzzy
    And no I don't mean that abomination 'shandy'.

I'm talking about brewing a beer specifically for marinades/brines/whatever.

I recently tried this beer: http://homebrewforums.net/discussion/962/saison-du-buff
    and thought, 'well, that's gross...but'

If they had upped the herbs a bit, it would make a great marinade. Then I thought to myself, 'hey chubby, you could brew a beer with a bunch of herbs and spices and use it for marinades'

I'll just calculate for an extra gallon or so of wort the next time I brew something that would suit this experiment, then toss in some herbs and boil for a few minutes to sanitize urrything.

So what do you guys think? What type of wort is going to work well, and what herbs/spices would you choose?
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    I was going to avoid adding vegetables (onions/garlic/etc) because I prefer the fresh cut flavor and it seems like you would lose that in the fermentation, but now I'm thinking that roasted veggies would do nicely.
  • ceanntceannt
    Hmmm ....
    How about a brown ale .... very low on hops and mashed high for residual sweetness ....
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    Coriander.... fennel ....????? Maybe some roasted peppers ...???
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    yeah, i have used brown ales and porters as marinades for years.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

Hmmm ....
    How about a brown ale .... very low on hops and mashed high for residual sweetness ....

i was thinking that i could go with a maltier porter/brown or a crisp dry lighter beer. whichever i actually brew first.
  • FuzzyFuzzy

but if you wanted to add herbs/spices what would you choose?
  • ThymThym
    I would put a bottle siracha in it. But I make all of my marinades with that stuff.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • BenSBenS
    It's funny that you bring this up FZ. My buddy and I were just talking about this last night. We were thinking of "dry hopping" a gal of my amber lager with a bunch of spices and herbs specifically to go up the butt of beer can chicken.
    There's no starting point. It's just a massive sea of shit to wade through until you find the occasional corn kernel. -DrCurly
  • ceanntceannt
    I would never think to do this in a beer I was planning on drinking....
    Rosemary
  • ceanntceannt
    If you want to try garlic....
    Do a whole garlic or two... leave the "skin" on them... just cut off the top and bottom... cover with foil and bake at 350 for around 45-minutes... the garlic should just sqeeze right out of the skin... throw it in towards the end of the boil
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews

but if you wanted to add herbs/spices what would you choose?

i would choose to put them into the marinade when the meat goes in. Most of those aromatic chains are so unstable that even though you may still smell them in the "beer" they won't have any effect on the meat. Use fresh or properly dried and stored.
  • ceanntceannt
    Fry is probably right about this.....

the little jerk normally is.... ;)
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

Fry is probably right about this.....

the little jerk normally is.... ;)

i'll hear none of this nonsense.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    i'm thinking i'll end up using just roasted peppers and maybe roasted garlic, pepper, maybe some mole. then i can dry hop with the herbs or add them fresh when i start marinading.
  • ThymThym
    A bottle of siracha. Do it.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny