Saison Fermentation Temps
  • jlwjlw
    For you saison brewers let's talk temps. I've read a lot of varying advice on fermentation temps, everything from controlled and cool (normal) up to just let it run away and get as hot as it wants.

Three years ago I brewed my first saison with Wyeast 3711 and let it take off it was warmer then and I would suspect the temps got into the 90's and it was one of my favorite beers. Last year, I brewed it again with the same yeastand controlled the tempto around 80 and it was nowhere nas good as the first.

On Saturday I will brew it again, unfortunately with a different yeast, but want to let this guy take off and get good and hot but our high temps will only be in the 70's next week. I think what I am going to do is hook up the ferm wrap, then wrap it in a blanket and find a hot spot in the house and see what happens.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    i have a stick on heater for a reptile cage that i've been meaning to steal for brewing purposes. and two kinds of saison yeast that i need to try out.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    I brewed my first saison three weeks ago, so I pretty much have no idea what I am doing.
    I pitched my yeast started (SN Ovila Saison/ Stone, Victory and DFH Saison du Buff dregs, mixed) at 75F ambient in a chest freezer. Let that ferment for one week, took gravity at 1.008, and then started to slowly decrease the temp (day by day) to 67 for a week to let all the floaters and trub drop out. Bottled on gallon about 2 hours ago. I am going to pitch brett into the other 1 gallon still in the chamber. I plan to either pitch a starter of dregs from The Bruery's Saison Rue, or White Labs Brett B.
    Amigo, lay them raises down.
  • scoobscoob

i have a stick on heater for a reptile cage that i've been meaning to steal for brewing purposes. and two kinds of saison yeast that i need to try out.

I use my autoclave/garage in the spring with good luck, come summer the garage gets well over 120 degrees inside, maybe a heating blanket wrapped around the carboy and connected to a temp controller, similar to the lizard heater I think, at least the ones I have seen
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • CZsCZs
    I've only used 3711 in the two Saisons I've done - both at 70. One was based off of azscoob's Cottage House recipe with a little Special B - It came out very much like St. Feuillen and maybe even like Southhampton Saison - a nice light amber with some clementine notes and a hint of Raisin in the background - it was a definite Saison - so, 3711 at room temp got me where I wanted to go - true to a more orange-like saison over straw-like

Also to note, I did 3711 in a Pumpkin Saison at 70 room temp - I didn't get the aromatics and wilder grassy/farmish taste up front that you come to expect in like a Dupont or even a Tank 7, with the pumpkin, but def got a Peppery 3711 Saison flavor that is a 50/50 up front taste with the pumpkin combined with the vegetal aroma

I'm done experimenting with 3711 until I do the real Pumpkin Saison batch again in July - I'm going to work with the Belle Saison stuff maybe in coordination with 3724 and start getting into ramping up - will be utilizing the Special B and some walnut chips for a Copper Saison and will play around with the mid 80s for a sessionable Grisette

jlw
  • jlwjlw
    Update:

Pitched around 75* and wrapped in a blanket, it was holding solid at 75 24 hours later so I cranked the heat up by 5* over a couple of days and it topped out at 90*.

It's just sitting there now looking at me. I'll leave it in primary for another three weeks. Secondary for a dry hop and then keg.
  • jlwjlw
    I think I will check gravity this weekend and if it is finished out I'll take it off the heat and let it sit at room temp.
  • CZsCZs
    jlw said:

I think I will check gravity this weekend and if it is finished out I'll take it off the heat and let it sit at room temp.

even utilizing a belt I would think help with 5-10 degrees - the wet tshirt and fan method worls just as well with a beer as it does in a 80s metal video - or so I've read

jlw
  • jlwjlw
    CZs said:

jlw said:

even utilizing a belt I would think help with 5-10 degrees - the wet tshirt and fan method worls just as well with a beer as it does in a 80s metal video - or so I've read

Yeah, I have a ferm wrap heater hooked up to a thermowell and temp controller. Works like a champ when trying to heat.
  • CZsCZs
    jlw said:

nothing like time to sit back, relax, and brew something else and enjoying a brew at the same time - supposed to be storming through the rest of today/tonight - getting my BDS brew on with the wife and my nephew and some tunes - this day can't be over fast enough