Homebrewing Legalized in Mississippi
  • ThymThym
    FROM AHA NEWSLETTER - "Success! Homebrewing Legalized in Mississippi
    The American Homebrewers Association is pleased to announce that Mississippi Senate Bill 2183 has become law. We'd like to thank all of our friends in Mississippi who called their state legislators and the governor to voice their support for homebrewing. Also, special recognition is due to Raise Your Pints, which spearheaded the movement.

Now, the only state left to legalize homebrewing is Alabama. We're working hard on that front and hope to have homebrewing legal in all 50 states soon! "

Ok, so am I just really out of touch or were others of you unaware that Homebrewing was Illegal in Mississippi and/or Alabama?

Either way, congrats to Mississippi for waking up.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    I knew it was illegal in Bama. And I thought Utah, but I guess that's not the case.

Either way, yay Mississippi!
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_dubbs said:

I knew it was illegal in Bama.
    Either way, yay Mississippi!

this. congrats missipians.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ceanntceannt
    Yay!!!!
    from all I have read over the last few years ... it was a hard fought battle
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    If you want a laugh, listen to some archive episodes of the Session on the Brewing Network. Search for Alabama legislature, they have sound bites from a debate a few years ago regarding home brewing. It is classic hillbilly.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    one of the new members...GryleE or whatever her screen name was (can someone look that up?) should be brought in here. she just moved here after being in mississippi for a few years. she was in a homebrew club and everything, so i don't know exactly how "illegal" it really was...
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    forget it, i found it.

Hey @GryllE tell us what you know!

(then post the recipe for that wild plum black ipa that i think was actually a big porter. peeps here would love that!)
  • GryllEGryllE
    YEAH! March 19th homebrewing was legalized... the second effort of our 'Raise Your Pints' club. (The first effort was accomplished last year, immediately prior to my departure, raising the limit from a ridiculous 3 point something to ~10% ABV (8% ABW) for beer). Functionally, that first effort was more important, because it severely limited beer options... SOOOO we all turned to homebrewing, and, luckily, the laws against that were not inforced. In fact, there is a cop in my homebrew club! He said that it had never been inforced in the state, so we didn't worry... even when my club had a HUGE '24 hour brewathon' on national 'teach a friend to homebrew' day. Fun stuff.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    GryllE said:

YEAH! March 19th homebrewing was legalized... the second effort of our 'Raise Your Pints' club. (The first effort was accomplished last year, immediately prior to my departure, raising the limit from a ridiculous 3 point something to ~10% ABV (8% ABW) for beer). Functionally, that first effort was more important, because it severely limited beer options... SOOOO we all turned to homebrewing, and, luckily, the laws against that were not inforced. In fact, there is a cop in my homebrew club! He said that it had never been inforced in the state, so we didn't worry... even when my club had a HUGE '24 hour brewathon' on national 'teach a friend to homebrew' day. Fun stuff.

cool. especially about the raising the abv limit.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • C_BC_B
    GryllE said:

Neat stuff.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants