Rye Saison
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Found some extra time to squeeze in a small brew tomorrow.
    It is getting warmer out, so I thought I would try:
    I am going to split the batch in half.

Rye Saison:

Estimated OG - 1.054
    SRM - 4
    IBU - 33.7

70% Briess Pilsen Malt
    30% Briess Rye Malt

0.75oz Willamette (4.7%aa) FWH

Sierra Nevada Ovila Saison dregs
    Brett B. (white labs) (used in half the batch after one month primary)

Pretty simple really, but this will be a first in the farmhouse ale dept. for me.

...I'm sure there's something I'm forgetting.
    Amigo, lay them raises down.
  • scoobscoob
    Any adjuncts like honey, candi sugar, spices, herbs?
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Nope.
    Being my first saison I figure I should start with a base and then adjust it accordingly.
  • ThymThym
    Evan_B said:

Nope.
    Being my first saison I figure I should start with a base and then adjust it accordingly.

solid plan. wish i brewed enough to really do that.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Evan_B said:

...I'm sure there's something I'm forgetting.

rice hulls!!!!! rye is a pain without em.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ceanntceannt
    I think rye in a saison would be yummy
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    But with that much .... oh yeah .... rice hulls .....
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

I think rye in a saison would be yummy

this. all day long.
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    This will be a BIAB so fortunately I don't have to stress over stuck sparges. I appreciate the input though.
  • ThymThym
    Evan_B said:

This will be a BIAB so fortunately I don't have to stress over stuck sparges. I appreciate the input though.

Oh to the simplicity of the biab. I should really do that more.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

more than once a year, yes.
  • ThymThym

Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

more than once a year, yes.

Zing!
  • ThymThym
    :(
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Ovila Saison dreg starter has been going for about 24 hours, and in an act of spontaneity I just poured in the dregs from the Stone/Victory/DFH Saison du Buff. We'll see.
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    I week in primary @ 75 degrees F - Gravity down to 1.010

Plan on keeping things the same for one more week before racking one gallon to secondary and pitching Brett B.
    The other 1 gallon will go into bottles after three weeks.
  • ThymThym
    Evan_B said:

I week in primary @ 75 degrees F - Gravity down to 1.010

Plan on keeping things the same for one more week before racking one gallon to secondary and pitching Brett B.
    The other 1 gallon will go into bottles after three weeks.

how long before the brett b has done it's thing?
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Well it can take up to like five years. I don't think I will wait that long though...

I will TRY to wait until Sept/Oct before bottling the gallon with brett.
  • ThymThym
    Evan_B said:

Well it can take up to like five years. I don't think I will wait that long though...

I will TRY to wait until Sept/Oct before bottling the gallon with brett.

yeah, thats a long time
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    First week of primary @ 75F, second week decreased temp daily to 67F. Bottled one gallon today with gravity at 1.008.
  • CZsCZs
    eager to here what elements of the du Buff you got - sounds awesome with rye - I'd love to get some Tank 7 yeasties (being an on the fly/accidental type beer) and infuse some Rye into that one too
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    CZs said:

eager to here what elements of the du Buff you got - sounds awesome with rye - I'd love to get some Tank 7 yeasties (being an on the fly/accidental type beer) and infuse some Rye into that one too

Man, I love that beer. I had a bottle of it the other day too. Wish I would have thought of that.

• CZsCZs
    Evan_B said:

CZs said:

Man, I love that beer. I had a bottle of it the other day too. Wish I would have thought of that.

It's a shame the store I found it in only has it in 4-packs plus they charged an arm and a leg because they're a run of the mill beer stop and this was "specialty beer". The usual one I like to go to is a bit of a drive and, oh man, I gotta go there now - can't though, once i go in its like a 2 hr trip - if you've never had it before - I highly suggest Pepe Nero from Goose Island - surprisingly light tasting, dark saison over peppercorns. Not as many people like St. Feuillien Saison, but I'm in love with that one and pretty much everything Southampton
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    CZs said:

Evan_B said:

CZs said:

It's a shame the store I found it in only has it in 4-packs plus they charged an arm and a leg because they're a run of the mill beer stop and this was "specialty beer". The usual one I like to go to is a bit of a drive and, oh man, I gotta go there now - can't though, once i go in its like a 2 hr trip - if you've never had it before - I highly suggest Pepe Nero from Goose Island - surprisingly light tasting, dark saison over peppercorns. Not as many people like St. Feuillien Saison, but I'm in love with that one and pretty much everything Southampton

Yeah, we only get four packs here as well, and they still cost an arm and leg.
    After trying a couple other Goose Island beers (Matilda, Sophie, Pere Jaques) I have been desperately trying to find Pepe Nero without any luck. I recently tried Saison Rue by The Bruery and I thought it was pretty awesome! I actually saved some dregs from that bottle and have it in a jar in my fridge right now.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    i've only tried sophie from goose island. pity i don't see more of their experimental beers since the brewery is only about 45 minutes away.

guess i'll just have to plan a trip this summer. :)
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    I was lucky to find Sophie. It was a 2010 bottle that I am pretty sure my local liquor store found in the back somewhere, so they stuck it out there just trying to sell it, not knowing any better. They have a bunch of Pere Jaques, which unfortunately was my least favorite.
  • CZsCZs
    I really enjoy the Saison Rue, but unfortunately, am not a fan of anything else of theirs - my last bad experience with The Bruery was with their Autumn Maple beer when I was trying to get inspirations for my Pumpkin Saison and it was like drinking old folks' home liquid cafeteria yams - sorry, I'm not usually harsh but that was my least favorite brew, ever, out of any beer, at least for me anyways - I checked the date too - should have been fine, and I went it to a fall style pretty adventurously knowing I would prob get some vegetal notes, like my pumpkin saison has in the nose - smells like a hint of squash but dang, I was dissapointed
  • ThymThym
    CZs said:

I really enjoy the Saison Rue, but unfortunately, am not a fan of anything else of theirs - my last bad experience with The Bruery was with their Autumn Maple beer when I was trying to get inspirations for my Pumpkin Saison and it was like drinking old folks' home liquid cafeteria yams - sorry, I'm not usually harsh but that was my least favorite brew, ever, out of any beer, at least for me anyways - I checked the date too - should have been fine, and I went it to a fall style pretty adventurously knowing I would prob get some vegetal notes, like my pumpkin saison has in the nose - smells like a hint of squash but dang, I was dissapointed

haha... i've not had this... i don't think i will
  • CZsCZs
    Lakewood said:

CZs said:

haha... i've not had this... i don't think i will

lol - maybe an aperitif glass is better suited for this type of brew - it actually would probably taste fantastic boiled down, and poured over turkey - you know what they say though - if you won't drink it, don't use it in/over your foods . . .
  • CZsCZs
    just had Matilda a couple days ago - I like it even better than Sophie - pretty awesome Belgian Pale

Goose Island is quickly becoming one of my faves - I'd put them right up there with Ommegang - if you like Nut Browns they make a good one IMO.

How's the rye saison comin' along?
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    CZs said:

just had Matilda a couple days ago - I like it even better than Sophie - pretty awesome Belgian Pale

Goose Island is quickly becoming one of my faves - I'd put them right up there with Ommegang - if you like Nut Browns they make a good one IMO.

Matilda is a good one. I'm sitting on a couple bottles for a year or so.

I tried my first bottle of the Rye Saison a couple days ago. Call me biased, but I like it! Good carbonation on the upper end of things. It is light (partly due to the carbonation), but it has those peppery notes from the yeast (which I am stoked about because I love that in a saison), and I get a little bit of the rye on the nose, but not a lot.
    With that being said, this is pretty much as basic of a recipe that one can get. My next go with this one I am thinking of adding maybe 10% Belgian Pale Malt.
  • CZsCZs
    Evan_B said:

CZs said:

Matilda is a good one. I'm sitting on a couple bottles for a year or so.

I tried my first bottle of the Rye Saison a couple days ago. Call me biased, but I like it! Good carbonation on the upper end of things. It is light (partly due to the carbonation), but it has those peppery notes from the yeast (which I am stoked about because I love that in a saison), and I get a little bit of the rye on the nose, but not a lot.
    With that being said, this is pretty much as basic of a recipe that one can get. My next go with this one I am thinking of adding maybe 10% Belgian Pale Malt.

sounds like the Rye plays nicely with the peppery notes - I'm excited to finally use Rye with my Grisette and am wondering about the difference in spiciness between that and the 3711
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    I wish I could tell you exactly the strain of yeast I used, but all I can say is it from SN Ovila Saison. I did some research a while back to figure out what they used. The story goes they got this particular strain from an outside source who got the yeast from "a brewery" in Belgium. This outside source apparently refused to tell SN the strain, so I don't think they even know.
    Not sure how true this is, but that's all I could find about it.
    Anyways... I like it.
  • CZsCZs
    Going to be drinking a local Kolsch today that utilizes rye - really excited about it and other than the wine characteristics you get from a Kolsch - I think this will give me a good idea of where I'm heading with my next brew day. A light colored, crisp, session Kolsch would be fairly comparable in spirit to a Grisette I would think. Also makes me wonder about utilizing the Kolsch grain and pitching a mix of 2565 with 3724
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    My next variation on this recipe will go as follows:

Pilsen malt - 50%
    Rye Malt - 30%
    Flaked Rye - 10%
    Flaked Wheat - 10%

Norther Brewer (9.4%aa) - FWH

This batch will then be split into 4 - 1 gal jugs after primary.
    Each will;
    - be aged on mulberries
    - aged on mini sour plums
    - peppercorns
    - Local wild yeast
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Evan_B said:

My next variation on this recipe will go as follows:

Pilsen malt - 50%
    Rye Malt - 30%
    Flaked Rye - 10%
    Flaked Wheat - 10%

Norther Brewer (9.4%aa) - FWH

This batch will then be split into 4 - 1 gal jugs after primary.
    Each will;
    - be aged on mulberries
    - aged on mini sour plums
    - peppercorns
    - Local wild yeast

cool. don't forget the rice hulls!
  • Evan_BEvan_B

Yeah, this one might get a little "goopy!"

• Evan_BEvan_B
    OG - 1.050
    Down to 1.008 after four days, which is pretty good considering I only pitched at approx 80% the suggested cell count. The high temps might have helped as well, been at 79 degrees over the four days. I'm actually surprised it has been able to remain at 79. I haven't used any kind of temp control, apart from the small AC for my entire residence, and it was 116 yesterday, 107 today.
    Sample taken was pretty good if I say so myself. Spice from the yeast and rye worked well together. I will be anxious to taste it after its been carbed up.
    I'm also interested to try the gallon aged on mini plums (once I've actually gotten to that point). I think it will add a tartness to the beer that will be nice... At least I hope it will be nice.
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    I was hoping to try top cropping the yeast and harvest, but after my first "dirt skim" to get rid of hop particles and trub, a second krausen never really arose. As is such, I will wash some yeast from the bottom of the fermenter after the beer has been racked off.
  • ThymThym
    Evan_B said:

how was it?
  • ThymThym
    Evan_B said:

I was hoping to try top cropping the yeast and harvest, but after my first "dirt skim" to get rid of hop particles and trub, a second krausen never really arose. As is such, I will wash some yeast from the bottom of the fermenter after the beer has been racked off.

that will work just fine. top cropping really only is necessary if you want to pull yeast from an active ferment to pitch a new batch.
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

how was it?

Erred on the side of caution, used rice hulls and put a 1 gal paint strainer over the manifold. Went smoothly!!
  • ThymThym
    Evan_B said:

Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

how was it?

Erred on the side of caution, used rice hulls and put a 1 gal paint strainer over the manifold. Went smoothly!!

yeah, that would do it.

i have issues with buying rice hulls... my brain says "you are paying for trash that wont add anything to the beer and will just get thrown away after a couple hours."
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

how was it?

yeah, that would do it.

i have issues with buying rice hulls... my brain says "you are paying for trash that wont add anything to the beer and will just get thrown away after a couple hours."

Most the things I've ever spent money on could be considered trash! At least this trash helps make gloriousness, which in turn helps me forget about all the trash I spent my money on.
  • ThymThym
    Evan_B said:

Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

how was it?

yeah, that would do it.

Most the things I've ever spent money on could be considered trash! At least this trash helps make gloriousness, which in turn helps me forget about all the trash I spent my money on.

yeah.. i know... i just cant do it.
  • ceanntceannt
    Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

how was it?

yeah, that would do it.

yeah.. i know... i just cant do it.

How much have you spent on that bike again??????