Dry Hop in Stages?
  • jlwjlw
    A friend sent me an old article written by the brewers at Stone regarding IPA's. One of the things that I found curious was a concept around dry hoping in stages. Basically, dry hop for 5 days pull the bag and add fresh hops for another 5 days (or whatever your durations will be).

Curious if any of you have used this technique and if yes was it worth the extra effort?
  • ceanntceannt
    Hmmm.... interesting concept .... get lots out of it without the silly grassy taste ....
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i don't see the benefit to this, personally. it would waste lots of beer and lots of hops though. i have dry hopped for 15 days and never noticed any "grassy" flavors that i hear about
  • C_BC_B
    I don't understand how a single dry hop at twice the amount is different than two separate 5 day dry hops. But I don't go crazy for hops either.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    C_dubbs said:

I don't understand how a single dry hop at twice the amount is different than two separate 5 day dry hops. But I don't go crazy for hops either.

marketing mostly.

if i saw a beer that said "dry hopped" next to one that said "double stage dry hopped" and could only buy one even though i had tried neither of them.......i know which i am choosing.
  • ThymThym

C_dubbs said:

marketing mostly.

if i saw a beer that said "dry hopped" next to one that said "double stage dry hopped" and could only buy one even though i had tried neither of them.......i know which i am choosing.

intuitively i disagree, though i have no experimental evidence to refute it.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • FuzzyFuzzy

C_dubbs said:

marketing mostly.

yep. go for the doppelbock next to those two.

C_B
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ceanntceannt

C_dubbs said:

marketing mostly.

yep. go for the doppelbock next to those two.

dang straight!
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.