Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Categories

In this Discussion

Tagged

Note to Visitors: Many posts have uploaded pictures that are only visible to logged in members. You may sign up for free and you will be able to see them.

Top Leaders

Top Posters

Who's Online (0)

Feeling generous? Help keep HBF running.
Get the sticker that shows them how you really feel.
Dry Hop in Stages?
  • jlwjlw
    A friend sent me an old article written by the brewers at Stone regarding IPA's. One of the things that I found curious was a concept around dry hoping in stages. Basically, dry hop for 5 days pull the bag and add fresh hops for another 5 days (or whatever your durations will be).

Curious if any of you have used this technique and if yes was it worth the extra effort?
  • ceanntceannt
    Hmmm.... interesting concept .... get lots out of it without the silly grassy taste ....
    In wine there is wisdom.
    In beer there is freedom.
    In water there is bacteria.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i don't see the benefit to this, personally. it would waste lots of beer and lots of hops though. i have dry hopped for 15 days and never noticed any "grassy" flavors that i hear about
  • C_BC_B
    I don't understand how a single dry hop at twice the amount is different than two separate 5 day dry hops. But I don't go crazy for hops either.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    C_dubbs said:

I don't understand how a single dry hop at twice the amount is different than two separate 5 day dry hops. But I don't go crazy for hops either.

marketing mostly.

if i saw a beer that said "dry hopped" next to one that said "double stage dry hopped" and could only buy one even though i had tried neither of them.......i know which i am choosing.
  • ThymThym

C_dubbs said:

marketing mostly.

if i saw a beer that said "dry hopped" next to one that said "double stage dry hopped" and could only buy one even though i had tried neither of them.......i know which i am choosing.

intuitively i disagree, though i have no experimental evidence to refute it.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • FuzzyFuzzy

C_dubbs said:

marketing mostly.

yep. go for the doppelbock next to those two.

C_B
    "Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B
  • ceanntceannt

C_dubbs said:

marketing mostly.

yep. go for the doppelbock next to those two.

dang straight!
    In wine there is wisdom.
    In beer there is freedom.
    In water there is bacteria.