Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Categories

In this Discussion

Tagged

Note to Visitors: Many posts have uploaded pictures that are only visible to logged in members. You may sign up for free and you will be able to see them.

Top Leaders

Top Posters

Who's Online (1)

Feeling generous? Help keep HBF running.
Get the sticker that shows them how you really feel.
Apple cinnamon beer recipe help
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I need your creative help. Our local brew club has a tournament every year, the Iron Brewer. A take on a TV show apparently. It. Is a bracket format and you are paired against one brewer in each round and given an ingredient you must use. You don't have to use all of it, you can also use more. I drew a can of cinnamon spiced apples. So I'm thinking a cinnamon apple spice beer. Maybe a wheat beer. I've looked online, found a few, but wanted your input. I have to have it ready in two months for this round. Here is one recipe, seems a fair starting point. I am not sure where to add the can of apples, maybe in the secondary or primary? Not sure if it should be boiled or not. I am not sure if I would add cider or not either. Probably not.

For a 5.5 gal batch (before cider):
    OG (without cider): 1.057, IBU: 19
    4.0 lb Pils
    3.5 lb Munich Light or Vienna
    0.75 lb Biscuit
    0.4 lb Honey Malt
    0.5 lb Caramel 60
    0.2 lb Caramel 15
    0.15 lb Caramel 120

In boil:
    0.25 tsp clove
    0.50 tsp allspice
    1.00 tsp cinnamon
    0.33 cup molasses

Add 1/2 g apple cider, boiled down from 1 gallon into primary after initial fermentation slowed.
  • ceanntceannt
    I would be tempted to go with a higher percentage of Vienna ....
    Don't boil the cider .... add it right in ... camden if you want but the pectins will be horrid if you boil it ...
    In wine there is wisdom.
    In beer there is freedom.
    In water there is bacteria.
  • ceanntceannt
    Also.... you will have better luck with the spices if you add them later ... at bottling even .... put them in water that has cooled a little from boiling ... let them steep for a half hour... run it through a coffee filter and pour the liquid in.
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Where would you recommend adding the can(s) of cinnamon apples? I should probably cut the cinnamon back on the spice list if it is already in the apples.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    "secondary."

as in dump them in the fermenter once the wort is pretty much fermented out.
    "Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I don't use a secondary, but could. Would you dump into fermentor or rack onto them?
  • ceanntceannt
    Either rack onto them in secondary ... or just dump em gently into primary (how I would do it)
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Benvarine said:

I don't use a secondary, but could. Would you dump into fermentor or rack onto them?

ceannt said:

just dump em gently into primary (how I would do it)

yep, this.
  • ThymThym
    FWIW, i agree.

i would add the apples after the primary ferment (about 3 days), but i would suggest racking to a secondary AFTER the fruit has had a chance to ferment (about 1 week).

Also, i would crush the hell out of the apples. mash em up good so you get as much out of them as possible flavor wise. and i would probably hold off on the cider.

the can of apples should be totally clean/sanitary, so no need to boil them at all. i would take some sanitizer and clean/sanitize your blender, then add about of cup of fermented beer, or some boiled water, then the can of apples, and blend away. dump that into the fermenter and you should see it spring back to life. rouse the yeast a bit if you need to.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Eat the apples while you mix up a batch of hard cider, then drop a cinnamon stick in the primary. done and done.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    C_dubbs said:

Eat the apples while you mix up a batch of hard cider, then drop a cinnamon stick in the primary. done and done.

b-(
  • C_BC_B
    To that end I dropped two cinnamon sticks in a keg of mediocre apple Graff. I was amazed by how much cinnamon flavor scale out and how much it changed the whole profile of the graff.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Why am I eating the apples in this process? I'm confused.
  • ThymThym
    Benvarine said:

#-o
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Benvarine said:

:@)
  • C_BC_B
    Benvarine said:

So they are used during the beer production. Easier than trying to figure out when to add them.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Nice, so I'll send in my beer along with a description of the apples and how they tasted. Or brew and oatmeal stout, serve over vanilla ice cream with warmed cinnamon apples. Not sure if that will fly.
  • C_BC_B
    Benvarine said:

Nice, so I'll send in my beer along with a description of the apples and how they tasted.

If the judge has any sense of humor you'll win.
    Benvarine said:

Or brew and oatmeal stout, serve over vanilla ice cream with warmed cinnamon apples. Not sure if that will fly.

Dude. If that doesn't fly, I'll come to the judges house and cut him. That. Sounds. Delicious. In fact, I want some right now. Like RIGHT NOW!
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    =))
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    make sure there aren't any stabilizers like potassium sorbate in those apples before you dump them in.
  • BenvarineBenvarine

make sure there aren't any stabilizers like potassium sorbate in those apples before you dump them in.

What if there are? I have to use them. I don't recall. Isn't there a natural preservative.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    Benvarine said:

What if there are? I have to use them. I don't recall. Isn't there a natural preservative.

if it has them in there, just add sparingly to the secondary knowing that it will essentially backsweeten the beer, not ferment. if you have ever had ephemera beers, that's how they do that. they are strange fruit beers with hint of sour to them. wife loves them
  • C_BC_B
    Benvarine said:

What if there are? I have to use them.

And you asked me "why eat the apples?"
    Benvarine said:

I don't recall. Isn't there a natural preservative.

Ascorbic acid is ok.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    pretty much any "acid" is fine
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Yea it is.
  • ceanntceannt

pretty much any "acid" is fine

Just don't drop acid before you brew ..... it will not end well .........
    In wine there is wisdom.