Keg Faucets
  • jlwjlw
    I'm getting ready to upgrade from a single to a double or maybe a triple faucet. Part of me says to go big and get the triple. However, I'm not confident I would be able to easily fit three kegs in my kegerator. I have a couple of options. I could buy a three gallon keg for the third or I ould cut one of the handles off of a corny keg and then it would slide to the back. Both options seem less than ideal. I can easily fit two kegs with no modifications. Oh and you double cost by going from the two to three faucets.

I guess the question is: "are the modifications worth the trouble?"

Here is what I'm looking to purchase:

Dual:
    http://www.homebrewing.org/Dual-Faucet-Draft-Tower_p_673.html

Triple Stainless Steel:
    http://www.homebrewing.org/Stainless-Steel-Triple-Faucet-Draft-Tower_p_2876.html

Triple Chrome:
    http://www.homebrewing.org/Triple-Faucet-Draft-Tower-_p_2586.html

What is the advantage of SS over Chrome?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

I'm getting ready to upgrade from a single to a double or maybe a triple faucet. Part of me says to go big and get the triple. However, I'm not confident I would be able to easily fit three kegs in my kegerator. I have a couple of options. I could buy a three gallon keg for the third or I ould cut one of the handles off of a corny keg and then it would slide to the back. Both options seem less than ideal. I can easily fit two kegs with no modifications. Oh and you double cost by going from the two to three faucets.

I guess the question is: "are the modifications worth the trouble?"

What is the advantage of SS over Chrome?

Stainless will last longer. I don't know how much longer, and I'm inclined to say that its not worth the price difference, but I don't have any hard evidence either way.

As far as the room, are you sure that a handle-less corny would fit with the qd's in place? seems like it would be a bit of trouble to shuffle things around when the keg in the back blows.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • jlwjlw
    It will fit but it will be really tight and yeah when the keg in the back blows everything will need to be moved around.

Plus I have a gift card to this adventures in home brewing that covers the double taps.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    well, it would be nice to be able to have the three on tap, but unless you cut the top off of more than one keg, you'd have to wait until you had the opportunity to refill the one keg, not just swap one out.

also, and this is based on my pipeline, i have the ability to fit 3-4 in my outside kegerator, but i rarely have more than two kegs of beer ready to drink in there anyway. i also have to shuffle stuff if i need to get one of the kegs out from the back, but i rarely do. i rack pretty carelessly, so if i move a keg, there is always a bunch of sediment stirred up and i have to wait a week or so for it to settle again.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    FZ has a good point about modifying multiple kegs. Also, do you know if you can get three with all the hoses and lines? It gets pretty freakin crowded and difficult so manage a packed fridge with heavy kegs and lines in the way. But, more is better.
  • jlwjlw
    Benvarine said:

FZ has a good point about modifying multiple kegs. Also, do you know if you can get three with all the hoses and lines? It gets pretty freakin crowded and difficult so manage a packed fridge with heavy kegs and lines in the way. But, more is better.

I don't know if I can fit all that. That is I haven't really tested out. Instinct tells me I can't or it will be a pain.
  • ThymThym
    On my kegs, the qd stands basically the same height as the handle, so removing it wouldn't buy me any head room.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i don't understand here. are you buying the faucets separately or thinking of buying a triple faucet with them all together as one unit?

i dont' suggest the one unit thing because of future changes. never knwo what the future will bring. buy all faucets individually.
    then if you need more, order another.
    when you find that sweet deal on a chest freezer to turn into a keezer, order some more.
    i would hate moving around kegs to get to the empty ones for the reason FZ mentioned.
  • FuzzyFuzzy

i don't understand here. are you buying the faucets separately or thinking of buying a triple faucet with them all together as one unit?

i dont' suggest the one unit thing because of future changes. never knwo what the future will bring. buy all faucets individually.
    then if you need more, order another.
    when you find that sweet deal on a chest freezer to turn into a keezer, order some more.
    i would hate moving around kegs to get to the empty ones for the reason FZ mentioned.

he's talking about the faucet towers. this kind

if you went with the double, you could add another double or single tower next to it if your keezer dies and you get a larger capacity one.
  • C_BC_B
    A note about faucets. The more expensive ones (Perlick) are forward sealing so they don't gum up and get sticky on taps that aren't used as often. Cheaper ones are rear sealing. I don't know which brands are which or how much of a problem it is. But it might be a question to ask.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • jlwjlw
    Sorry, I think my novice here maybe confused the sitution. I am looking to buy a tower.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    ahhhh.....a tower. ok.
    i get it.
    i still say just buy individual faucets unless you can get a tower used for cheap or something.
    sticking faucets is a serious pain in the ass for me. i have 4 things on tap and sometimes i might not open one for a week or two. then it sticks and pisses me off. any new faucets will be perlicks for me. wish i hadn't cheaped out the first time around.
  • jlwjlw

ahhhh.....a tower. ok.
    i get it.
    i still say just buy individual faucets unless you can get a tower used for cheap or something.
    sticking faucets is a serious pain in the ass for me. i have 4 things on tap and sometimes i might not open one for a week or two. then it sticks and pisses me off. any new faucets will be perlicks for me. wish i hadn't cheaped out the first time around.

Ah ha. This makes sense as to why I should go for the upgrade and probably only do two taps.