Firestone Walker - Wooky Jack
  • jlwjlw
    Went to dinner last night at a new restaurant and the had this beer on tap. I have to say this is the best commercial Black IPA I have ever had. The description below is very accurate and will add it's appearance is black as coal with a nice smooth body. The 80 IBU's well balances this against the malt backbone and there is just a hint of rye to make it complex.

I brew a big black IIPA and have been toying with the idea of adding rye and will now do this on the next brew.

"Wookey Jack is our first foray into the dark outer world of black IPAs. Rich dark malts and spicy rye careen into bold citrus laden hops creating a new dimension in IPA flavor. This brew has been left unfiltered and unfined to retain all of its texture and character. At 80 IBUs, Wookey Jack is gnarly on the outside yet complex and refined on the inside."

http://www.firestonebeer.com/beers/products/wookey-jack-April-2012-
  • ThymThym
    jlw said:

Went to dinner last night at a new restaurant and the had this beer on tap. I have to say this is the best commercial Black IPA I have ever had. The description below is very accurate and will add it's appearance is black as coal with a nice smooth body. The 80 IBU's well balances this against the malt backbone and there is just a hint of rye to make it complex.

I brew a big black IIPA and have been toying with the idea of adding rye and will now do this on the next brew.

"Wookey Jack is our first foray into the dark outer world of black IPAs. Rich dark malts and spicy rye careen into bold citrus laden hops creating a new dimension in IPA flavor. This brew has been left unfiltered and unfined to retain all of its texture and character. At 80 IBUs, Wookey Jack is gnarly on the outside yet complex and refined on the inside."

http://www.firestonebeer.com/beers/products/wookey-jack-April-2012-

yes, this is a good one. i don't really care for the midnight ipas, but this one is good.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • scoobscoob
    Now I need to go find that beer, I wonder if bevmo or total wine has it?
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    I really enjoy this beer. Lucky for me the local sanctuary (liquor store) keeps it handy. I like all of Firestone Walker's beers to a point. When they start getting insane with 12%abv + I start to get a bit weary. Their Union Jack is a really really good IPA, DBA is also quite tasty, and their Robust Porter gets 1.75 thumbs up from me!

I did recently try their Velvet Merlin oatmeal stout. It was good, but I wasn't crazy about it.
    Amigo, lay them raises down.
  • jlwjlw
    I like Union Jack a lot. Haven't had the others as we don't get a ton of Firestone Walker out here.