Evan_B's Smoked Porter
  • C_BC_B
    This discussion was created from comments split from: What is the next brew on your list?.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    C_dubbs said:

Evan_B said:

Smoked Porter -- just in time for any day of any year.

Oh nice. Recipe?

This will be my second go with this smoked porter, slightly varied from the first.

57% Maris Otter
    29% Smoked Malt (Weyermann)
    5% Biscuit Malt
    5% Chocolate Rye
    2% Carafa III
    2% Flaked Barley

0.5oz Northern Brewer 9.4% FWH
    0.5oz Mt. Hood 5.5% 20 min

WLP004 (becoming my favorite yeast, so I am using it anywhere I can)

this SHOULD come in at:
    OG - 1.062
    FG - 1.017

This will be the first time using the Weyermann smoked malt. Depending on the results I may consider throwing in a few oz of Cherrywood Smoked Malt, but I will have to wait and see how this batch tastes.

Amigo, lay them raises down.
  • C_BC_B
    @Evan_B I split this off so I can search for it in the recipe later :D
    Oh, and so other people can find it too or whatever.
    Pop up some more in the recipe section if you want!
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    I haven't settled on a name for this one, but I was leaning towards Count Furfur.

Count Furfur is supposedly a Great Earl of Hell, who knew they had a Peerage in Hell?

Thymscoobceannt
  • ThymThym
    Evan_B said:

I haven't settled on a name for this one, but I was leaning towards Count Furfur.

Count Furfur is supposedly a Great Earl of Hell, who knew they had a Peerage in Hell?

Ha!
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • scoobscoob
    Evan_B said:

Peerage!

I think I like this guy!
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ThymThym
    personally I'd think this is a bit heavy handed with the Smoked Malt. I confirmed my suspicions with a little reading in Designing Great Beers (one of my bibles) and most smoked beers are around 20% smoked grist, and at that it would be a rauch malt (which you are using), and not peated. peat smoked malts have a very intense smokiness, i played with it with poor results early in my recipe formulation days.
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    This will be my second version of this (Mk.II). In the first I used 30% smoked malt for a 2 gal batch, and I was happy with the results. I do like my smoked beers. I was a little bummed with Stone Smoked Porter, as they were a little light on the smokiness for my taste.
    With that being said, Mk.1 did not use Weyermann, and my LHBS recently decided to switch the smoked malt. This next batch I am stepping up to 4 gal. I had originally planned to use more smoked malt, but ultimately scaled it back not having used Weyermann before.
    I am still a little up in the air. I make err on the side of caution and decrease the smoked malt to see what I am really dealing with here.
  • ThymThym
    Evan_B said:

This will be my second version of this (Mk.II). In the first I used 30% smoked malt for a 2 gal batch, and I was happy with the results. I do like my smoked beers. I was a little bummed with Stone Smoked Porter, as they were a little light on the smokiness for my taste.
    With that being said, Mk.1 did not use Weyermann, and my LHBS recently decided to switch the smoked malt. This next batch I am stepping up to 4 gal. I had originally planned to use more smoked malt, but ultimately scaled it back not having used Weyermann before.
    I am still a little up in the air. I make err on the side of caution and decrease the smoked malt to see what I am really dealing with here.

do you know what you used last time?
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

I believe it was Briess.
  • ThymThym
    Evan_B said:

Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

I believe it was Briess.

also a Rauchmalt i assume? I've never done a comparison, but i'm going to go out on a limb and say the rauchmalts are going to be comparable, although it's hard to know what wood they actually smoked with, but it's probably beechwood or a fruit wood.
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    I just finished up the batch a little while ago, and ended up cutting the smoked malt in half, and increased my base malt by 1.0lb. I plan on honing this recipe, so this is just a step in the process overall, but I will be sure to let you know what the smoke is like.
  • ThymThym
    Evan_B said:

I just finished up the batch a little while ago, and ended up cutting the smoked malt in half, and increased my base malt by 1.0lb. I plan on honing this recipe, so this is just a step in the process overall, but I will be sure to let you know what the smoke is like.

sweet!

i love the smell of a boiling smokey wort.
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

sweet!

i love the smell of a boiling smokey wort.

That makes dos of us!

Thym
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

I believe it was Briess.

also a Rauchmalt i assume? I've never done a comparison, but i'm going to go out on a limb and say the rauchmalts are going to be comparable, although it's hard to know what wood they actually smoked with, but it's probably beechwood or a fruit wood.

briess smoked malt is done with cherry wood:

http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Assets/PDFs/Briess_PISB_SmokedMalt.pdf

the weyerman is smoked with beech:

http://www.weyermann.de/eng/produkte.asp?idkat=232&umenue=yes&idmenue=0&sprache=2

apparently they have an oak smoked wheat malt. that sounds like fun.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ThymThym

Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

I believe it was Briess.

http://www.weyermann.de/eng/produkte.asp?idkat=232&umenue=yes&idmenue=0&sprache=2

Thanks! I was obviously being lazy. It would be interesting to do a direct comparision of the two to see what the difference between beechwood and cherry smoked malt is.
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Lakewood said:

Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

I believe it was Briess.

Thanks! I was obviously being lazy. It would be interesting to do a direct comparision of the two to see what the difference between beechwood and cherry smoked malt is.

I immediately regret not keeping a bottle from the first batch to compare. Though I am going to start experimenting more with the different smoked malts.

The Briess cherrywood smoked malt is like bacon. I often think of just carrying a small bag around with me to have the smell of bacon whenever I "need" it.
  • ThymThym
    Evan_B said:

Lakewood said:

Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

I believe it was Briess.

I immediately regret not keeping a bottle from the first batch to compare. Though I am going to start experimenting more with the different smoked malts.

The Briess cherrywood smoked malt is like bacon. I often think of just carrying a small bag around with me to have the smell of bacon whenever I "need" it.

That begs the question of when someone does NOT need the smell of bacon.