Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Categories

In this Discussion

Note to Visitors: Many posts have uploaded pictures that are only visible to logged in members. You may sign up for free and you will be able to see them.

Top Leaders

Top Posters

Who's Online (1)

Feeling generous? Help keep HBF running.
Get the sticker that shows them how you really feel.
What should be my next IPA?
  • jlwjlw
    Right now I have my Rye IPA in Bottles and I just kegged a Stone Ruination clone.

I need to get another IPA in process in the next weekend or two.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    belgian/farmhouse ipa, cascadian dark ale? or were you looking for something more west coast?
    "Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B
  • ceanntceannt
    A little off the wall ...... but how 'bout
    a single malt IIPA with Golden Promise .... mash around 152... single decoction to mash out .... a boatload of Centennial ... and a high gravity Belgian yeast?
    In wine there is wisdom.
    In beer there is freedom.
    In water there is bacteria.
  • jlwjlw

belgian/farmhouse ipa, cascadian dark ale? or were you looking for something more west coast?

I have the cascadian dark ale on schedule for some point
  • jlwjlw

ceannt said:

A little off the wall ...... but how 'bout
    a single malt IIPA with Golden Promise .... mash around 152... single decoction to mash out .... a boatload of Centennial ... and a high gravity Belgian yeast?

would the belgian/farmhouse ipa be similar to ceannt ipa idea with the Belgian yeast?

I had planned one last year with Belgian yeast and at the last minute scrapped the Belgian yeast for WLP001

Commercially speaking any examples of what you guys are talking about?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

would the belgian/farmhouse ipa be similar to ceannt ipa idea with the Belgian yeast?

i suppose, though i probably wouldn't go with centennial.

jlw said:

Commercially speaking any examples of what you guys are talking about?

nope. i haven't had any. i was just thinking it would be different from what you already have, yet still satisfy the craving for an ipa. i've had a couple belgian/farmhouse pale ales, but i didn't care for them much. i think it only works with the higher gravity and ibus of an ipa.
  • ceanntceannt
    Raging bitch comes to mind
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

keep my mother in law out of this!
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    i haven't tried this one, but the description sounds really tasty.

http://www.clownshoesbeer.com/tramp/
  • jlwjlw
    ceannt said:

Yep. That's what I thought but wanted to see if I was on to it. I think you and FZ are thinking same idea here.

I love Raging Bitch and one of my favorite IPA's is Founders Centennial IPA (single hop). Time to do some research.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    try to make a Zombie Dust clone. basically a clean, simple ipa, like founders centennial, but single hopped with citra.
  • jlwjlw

try to make a Zombie Dust clone. basically a clean, simple ipa, like founders centennial, but single hopped with citra.

This also sounds really good. I have wanted to make a all citra hop ipa for a long time.
  • jlwjlw
    I think I am going to make both of these. maybe a double brew day soon.

@frydogbrews do you have a Zombie Dust recipe? Or something close? I have found a few recipes on the webs but have a little concern on the 60L being used. For a super clean ipa I was thinking I would go no higher than 15 to 20L and use very little.
  • jlwjlw
    here is a recipe I found. I will start another thread for both beers. 60L just seems wrong for a super clean IPA. I have never had this beer so I am flying blind.

11 lbs 12.0 oz Canadian 2-Row Malt (1.9 SRM) Grain 1
    16.0 oz Munich 10L Malt (10.0 SRM) Grain 2
    8.0 oz Caramalt (12.0 SRM) Grain 3
    8.0 oz Caramel Malt 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4
    8.0 oz Melanoidin Malt (26.5 SRM) Grain 5
    0.8 oz Citra [12.0%] - First Wort Hops 6
    1.0 oz Citra [12.0%] - Boil 15 min Hops 7
    1.0 oz Citra [12.0%] - Boil 10 min Hops 8
    6888474.33 tsp Whirlfloc Tablets (Irish moss) (Boil 10 min) Misc 9
    6888474.33 tsp Yeast Nutrient (AKA Fermax) (Boil 10 min) Misc 10
    1.3 oz Citra [12.0%] - Boil 5 min Hops 11
    1.0 oz Citra [12.0%] - Boil 1 min Hops 12
    0 pkgs English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) Yeast 13
    3.0 oz Citra [12.0%] - Dry Hop 7 days Hops 14
  • jlwjlw
    The Raging Bitch is a very simple beer. I like it. One thing I have learned is it is not dry hopped. I may change that for my recipe.

Basically it has a bunch of us 2 row and a little bit 60L and seems they either use a wit yeast or a trappist yeast. Not sure which is correct yet.
  • C_BC_B
    jlw said:

The Raging Bitch is a very simple beer. I like it. One thing I have learned is it is not dry hopped. I may change that for my recipe.

Basically it has a bunch of us 2 row and a little bit 60L and seems they either use a wit yeast or a trappist yeast. Not sure which is correct yet.

Would a wit give off that Belgiany funk? There is no mistaking RB as having a Belgian yeast.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    yeah, don't use 60L in a Zombie Dust clone.
    i wouldn't go any higher than 15L, for sure. otherwise, just follow any other recipe for two hearted or founder centennial, but use all citra instead.
    its delicious.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i wouldn't bother first wort hopping it either. that's someone trying to make something more complicated than it is
  • jlwjlw
    @ceannt how much hops are you thinking for the single hopped centennial iipa?
  • ceanntceannt
    jlw said:

A lot ....
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

jlw said:

A lot ....

you should try mash hopping. just to see what that does.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    jlw said:

in my 5 gallon batch i used something like 1/2 oz for bittering, then 4 oz for flavor spaced between 20 minutes and 5 minutes, and another 2 oz at flameout.
  • jlwjlw
    Ok. I was just going order like 10 oz of citra from Wholesalehops.com
  • ceanntceannt

jlw said:

in my 5 gallon batch i used something like 1/2 oz for bittering, then 4 oz for flavor spaced between 20 minutes and 5 minutes, and another 2 oz at flameout.

That sounds about right
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • jlwjlw
    just ordered 10 oz of citra. hope it gets here by next weekend. I am going to try and do the centennial hopped beer this weekend so I will eed to buy from the LHBS. Hope he will sell me enough hops.