JLWs Baltic Porter Tasting.
  • scoobscoob
    JLWs chocolate peppermint baltic porter

Please keep in mind, im getting over a cold and may be off the mark on a couple points, but my smeller is working great and my taste buds are ok, not 100% but almost.

Aroma:
    Big malt nose here, toffee, licorice, hints of chocolate and spices, and honest to God.... soy sauce.
    No hop aroma.

Appearance:
    cocoa brown with deep ruby when held to bright light. a nice full tan head that lasted for the entire pint. Good clarity for its color

Flavor:
    Malty up front, some dry roasty chocolaty bite, as it warms I get black licorice and some floral/spice aftertaste with a fruitiness possibly black cherry, some pepper comes out as I breathe in on the next sip. I couldn't pull the mint out specifically, but it may be what I'm getting that I think is floral when combined with the roasted malts.

Mouthfeel:
    Very smoothe, with moderate carbonation so it feels well balanced in its chewiness without seeming filling.
    A slight warmness is in the finish.

Overall impression:
    This is the first Baltic porter I have tried, and I enjoyed the developing flavors as it warmed and breathed a bit, the depth of flavors that develop make it tough to pinpoint what I'm picking up. I know that there is mint in here somewhere, but I may have missed that specific flavor plateau while making notes.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • jlwjlw
    Thanks for the write up. The beer is like 18 months old now or older I wonder if the mint has faded? I know I used to get more
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i've also been lucky enough to drink one of these and it was damn tasty. i coudl taste the peppermint, but it was 6 months ago at least.

also the only baltic porter that i have ever had, so i didn't have much for reference. it really changed as it warmed up a little, in a great way.
  • scoobscoob

i've also been lucky enough to drink one of these and it was damn tasty. i coudl taste the peppermint, but it was 6 months ago at least.

also the only baltic porter that i have ever had, so i didn't have much for reference. it really changed as it warmed up a little, in a great way.

How are my notes compared to what you recall from your tasting?
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    azscoob said:

How are my notes compared to what you recall from your tasting?

seems right to me. i have a pretty terrible pallet and not very good at describing how things taste in the first place.
    "damn tasty" = 4 out of 5 stars. (only Pliny gets 5 out of 5)
  • jlwjlw
    Thanks guys bib really appreciate the feedback.
  • scoobscoob
    jlw said:

Having the RyePA yum!
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • jlwjlw
    azscoob said:

jlw said:

Having the RyePA yum!

I changed it just a bit by adding a FWH and I had use different hops for the dry hops so I have been a little worried about it.
  • ceanntceannt
    Scoob's notes are pretty spot on from what I remember ... the peppermint came through when I had it though .... amazing how the flavors opened up as it warmed
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.