Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Categories

In this Discussion

Note to Visitors: Many posts have uploaded pictures that are only visible to logged in members. You may sign up for free and you will be able to see them.

Top Leaders

Top Posters

Who's Online (0)

Feeling generous? Help keep HBF running.
Get the sticker that shows them how you really feel.
JLWs Baltic Porter Tasting.
  • scoobscoob
    JLWs chocolate peppermint baltic porter

Please keep in mind, im getting over a cold and may be off the mark on a couple points, but my smeller is working great and my taste buds are ok, not 100% but almost.

Aroma:
    Big malt nose here, toffee, licorice, hints of chocolate and spices, and honest to God.... soy sauce.
    No hop aroma.

Appearance:
    cocoa brown with deep ruby when held to bright light. a nice full tan head that lasted for the entire pint. Good clarity for its color

Flavor:
    Malty up front, some dry roasty chocolaty bite, as it warms I get black licorice and some floral/spice aftertaste with a fruitiness possibly black cherry, some pepper comes out as I breathe in on the next sip. I couldn't pull the mint out specifically, but it may be what I'm getting that I think is floral when combined with the roasted malts.

Mouthfeel:
    Very smoothe, with moderate carbonation so it feels well balanced in its chewiness without seeming filling.
    A slight warmness is in the finish.

Overall impression:
    This is the first Baltic porter I have tried, and I enjoyed the developing flavors as it warmed and breathed a bit, the depth of flavors that develop make it tough to pinpoint what I'm picking up. I know that there is mint in here somewhere, but I may have missed that specific flavor plateau while making notes.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • jlwjlw
    Thanks for the write up. The beer is like 18 months old now or older I wonder if the mint has faded? I know I used to get more
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i've also been lucky enough to drink one of these and it was damn tasty. i coudl taste the peppermint, but it was 6 months ago at least.

also the only baltic porter that i have ever had, so i didn't have much for reference. it really changed as it warmed up a little, in a great way.
  • scoobscoob

i've also been lucky enough to drink one of these and it was damn tasty. i coudl taste the peppermint, but it was 6 months ago at least.

also the only baltic porter that i have ever had, so i didn't have much for reference. it really changed as it warmed up a little, in a great way.

How are my notes compared to what you recall from your tasting?
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    azscoob said:

How are my notes compared to what you recall from your tasting?

seems right to me. i have a pretty terrible pallet and not very good at describing how things taste in the first place.
    "damn tasty" = 4 out of 5 stars. (only Pliny gets 5 out of 5)
  • jlwjlw
    Thanks guys bib really appreciate the feedback.
  • scoobscoob
    jlw said:

Having the RyePA yum!
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • jlwjlw
    azscoob said:

jlw said:

Having the RyePA yum!

I changed it just a bit by adding a FWH and I had use different hops for the dry hops so I have been a little worried about it.
  • ceanntceannt
    Scoob's notes are pretty spot on from what I remember ... the peppermint came through when I had it though .... amazing how the flavors opened up as it warmed
    In wine there is wisdom.
    In beer there is freedom.
    In water there is bacteria.